The Patriots have hired Jerod Mayo as their next head coach

Steelersfan43

This makes him the youngest head coach in the NFL now, right? He's a month younger than McVay, based on what I can tell.

He only started coaching in 2019, and this is his 2nd position ever. This doesn't seem like a wise hiring. He's had no opportunities to make mistakes, only one head coach to learn from, never called plays at any level, and never ventured outside of coaching one position group. This seems really bad.

Edited by minutemancl
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

Wouldn't he have fulfilled the Rooney rule anyway? Nothing says they have to interview anyone else as long as they interview at least 1 POC, right?  Or am I misremembering the Rooney rule?

I think that was the old rule. Now for a head coaching vacancy you have to interview 2 minority coaches. And they both have to come from outside the organization. So Mayo doesnt satisfy any of the rooney rule cause he was an internal canidate.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Damn do I feel old. I remember looking at him as a prospect coming into the 2008 draft out of Tennessee.

Same. From the days of drafting and scouting him in that NFL Head Coach game to him actually becoming an NFL head coach. Wow…

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

I think that was the old rule. Now for a head coaching vacancy you have to interview 2 minority coaches. And they both have to come from outside the organization. So Mayo doesnt satisfy any of the rooney rule cause he was an internal canidate.

Ah, good to know - thanks!

16 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

This makes him the youngest head coach in the NFL now, right? He's a month younger than McVay, based on what I can tell.

He only started coaching in 2019, and this is his 2nd position ever. This doesn't seem like a wise hiring. He's had no opportunities to make mistakes, only one head coach to learn from, never called plays at any level, and never ventured outside of coaching one position group. This seems really bad.

A title he will hold until Bobby Slowik sneaks into a HC job this cycle lol 

3 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

A title he will hold until Bobby Slowik sneaks into a HC job this cycle lol 

Slowik has a little more experience as a coach, but at least Mayo got to this point on his own. Bobby is a nepo baby. I also hate the idea of a PFF guy getting a head coaching job.

Edited by minutemancl

19 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

That is the Rooney Rule, but it does not apply to this situation because………

Mayo, 37, had it written into his contract last year that he would be Belichick’s successor and that language was turned into the league. That’s why the Patriots did not have to go through a full search to determine their next head coach.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/patriots-hire-jerod-mayo-as-head-coach#

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Wtf is the point of firing him just to replace him with one of his assistants? And first hand you’ve seen every single one of his assistants fail. And now you want one? Don’t even want to see what else is out there? Okay 

Because Bill still wants to be a GM

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

How tf is this Aww Shucks person a billionaire?!

Hands Putin his Super Bowl ring. “HEY where are you going?”

Inflategate suspension handed down. “Hey! We talked on that couch at that party wtf man?”

Jupiter FL…..

What?

• Like 3