Packers @ 49ers Battle at the Pant Plant

ChaRisMa

Saw a note that 9ers were 2nd-best in running yards allowed.  But yards per attempt, not spectacular, maybe like 12th or 14th? (above average but not top-10).  Maybe they're winning all the time, so opponents in catch-up passing mode.  Or maybe strong offense is kind of a clock-eater, and opponents just don't run as many plays of any kind?  

Anyway, I think the point was that their run defense is good, but not always totally stifling.  

Part of the weirdness Sunday was that MLF called runs on such a predominance of 1st downs, but even though everybody should have been anticipating run, Jones still got productive runs on a lot of those predictable calls.  I kinda fear that won't happen so much in San Fran.  Think MLF will need to mix in a lot more 1st-down passes, or else we'll set up a lot of 2nd-and-9.  

17 minutes ago, craig said:

Saw a note that 9ers were 2nd-best in running yards allowed.  But yards per attempt, not spectacular, maybe like 12th or 14th? (above average but not top-10).  Maybe they're winning all the time, so opponents in catch-up passing mode.  Or maybe strong offense is kind of a clock-eater, and opponents just don't run as many plays of any kind?  

Anyway, I think the point was that their run defense is good, but not always totally stifling.  

Part of the weirdness Sunday was that MLF called runs on such a predominance of 1st downs, but even though everybody should have been anticipating run, Jones still got productive runs on a lot of those predictable calls.  I kinda fear that won't happen so much in San Fran.  Think MLF will need to mix in a lot more 1st-down passes, or else we'll set up a lot of 2nd-and-9.  

The D line for the 9ers is much more dominant and will get Armstead back. That combined with great to elite LB play and it will be tougher sledding in the run game. Still, you just need to break a few and it can change the way the D has to pick their poison. OLine will have to really step up if we want to be in this one but no one should be backing down from the challenge. 

56 minutes ago, craig said:

When counting the defenders "in the box", it was clear that running is what they should do.

That can and will vary from week to week and from defense to defense.

I'll tell ya....I'm trying hard to remain in the limbo of "We've gotten farther than I ever expected we'd get" coming into the year and not get carried away....but son of a *****, I'd love to win this game and put this "SF thing" in the rear view mirror.

Oh...and then we can start considering how close we are to the SB.

Damn.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Leader said:

I'll tell ya....I'm trying hard to remain in the limbo of "We've gotten farther than I ever expected we'd get" coming into the year and not get carried away....but son of a *****, I'd love to win this game and put this "SF thing" in the rear view mirror.

Oh...and then we can start considering how close we are to the SB.

Damn.

We've got this far .. might as well win another game.  It's going to take a big time effort, but I think the Packers are brimming with confidence.  They don't know what they don't know, and LaFleur is going to be schemin' like a demon.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Leader said:

I know some people don’t want to hear this, but Bosa is saying what a LOT of opposing defenders have probably seen on film and thought in private. I don’t care how good the Niners defense was, an all time star QB like Rodgers should have been able to do better against them in their last couple playoff matches. Defenders would say nice things about him, but they stopped being afraid of him. He became predictable 

6 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

I know some people don’t want to hear this, but Bosa is saying what a LOT of opposing defenders have probably seen on film and thought in private. I don’t care how good the Niners defense was, an all time star QB like Rodgers should have been able to do better against them in their last couple playoff matches. Defenders would say nice things about him, but they stopped being afraid of him. He became predictable 

We're better off without Rodgers for sure. He tightened up like a snare drum in many playoff games.  He would pass up the gimmes with regularity for big shots that were never there.  Bosa nailed it .. got a QB now that will run the offense and hit the open targets. Couldn't always say that when "buddy ball" was playing QB.  

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 1

Two things I've been thinking of.

1. I really hope to god Barry doesn't play off coverage. I think we need to make Purdy make tighter throws, and I don't trust our tackling as much.

2. How many points would you be comfortable giving SF? I think 24 I think is the highest number I'd feel comfortable with. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lodestar said:

Lol don't think I've ever heard Bosa talk before. Great player obviously, but fits the dumb jock persona to a tee.

Good god I'd love to have a dumb jock or two on our D line.

Fun thing is we saw them execute the blueprint. Getting the ball first helps but as long as they can go *** for tat until something breaks, hopefully in their favor.

I expect the 49ers put up a much better fight even if the Packers play just as well.

McDuffie would be nice to have this week against the Niners run game. 

Probably the same plan for Alexander...let him rest through the week and just get him ready 90 minutes before kickoff. 

Still not sure what Dillon's exact injury is but so far looking like he'll be out again this week.