Raiders hire Antonio Pierce as Head Coach

Like many have said - don’t like the process. It has again shown Davis to be incapable of approaching a hire in the professional and thorough way you should expect the head of a multi-billion dollar business. He did what he said he absolutely would not do and zoned in in one target and as a result, did the other thing he said he wouldn’t do and pick the coach before the GM.

There is so much benefit to carrying out a comprehensive interview process. From getting a range of experienced professional input on roster construction, to learning about rivals and developing relationships with coaches who you might want to be a part of the organisation in the future. Poor show and a missed opportunity.

All that said, I am very happy with AP and will have forgotten about all the above when the off-season gets going. I feel quietly confident that he will be able to build from the promising start he made last season.

I am not expecting or honestly am not really solely focused on winning the division or making deep playoff runs at this stage (although of course it would be nice!). I just want to watch a team, with players and coaches I like, going out and competing in the right way. Winning some big games against good teams and not being routinely embarrassed on and off the field. 

And I feel AP is the right choice to do that with this group of players, which  I think is an important point because it seems that there is consensus (as much as Raiders fans can agree on anything!) that we have the bulk of the team in place. And we have seen him get these exact players to play at a high level, together, with discipline (unbelievable levels of discipline), with focus and cohesion and from the worst imaginable starting point.

Having had to stomach supporting a silly showbiz caricature (and now known bigot) and then a smarmy, visor wearing (who wears a visor, honestly) autocrat - turning on the telly and seeing a highly well respected, passionate, positive seemingly good man lead my team is a most welcome change. And I will enjoy the feeling of being able to properly proudly support my team for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 5

So what would everyone consider to be a successful first season?

Personally, I feel like 9 wins would be the minimum AP should be able to accomplish after this past season. We just won 8 games. He had our defense giving up 16 PPG as HC. Defense definitely depends on PG staying as DC but I think even without him we should still be a top 16 unit with AP at HC and a somewhat competent DC. 

So I’ll say this now, anything less than 9 wins will be a failure at HC in his first season.

What does everyone else think?

55 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Personally, I feel like 9 wins would be the minimum AP should be able to accomplish after this past season. We just won 8 games. He had our defense giving up 16 PPG as HC. Defense definitely depends on PG staying as DC but I think even without him we should still be a top 16 unit with AP at HC and a somewhat competent DC. 

So I’ll say this now, anything less than 9 wins will be a failure at HC in his first season.

7 or 8 wins. 

We're rebuilding for the most part, regardless of the copium. We're going to be starting a rookie QB or AOC in a division against Andy Reid, Sean Payton, and probably someone pretty decent. It would be a near impossibility for us to play such a long string of backup QBs a second season in a row. We likely have at least 1 new coordinator. 

Maybe we get lucky and our QB pulls a CJ Stroud, but let's be real- that was pure dumb luck for Houston. Most rookies simply don't achieve that. 

AP got 5 wins this year. Maybe we could've gotten more, but context is key- which goes back to the uncanny string of backups we played against. Saying we "could've gone, say, 10 wins overall with AP" would be unfairly stacking the deck against him. If he can win a couple more next year than this year, I'd be willing to call it a successful first season. 

I'll be transparent though- Any other coach under these circumstances, I'd sit through a 5 win season understanding it's a rebuild. I won't be giving AP that same leniency. I don't dislike the hire itself, but I do not at all approve of the process that was taken. I 100% expect more from him much sooner than anyone else because, in my opinion, he was simply given the job without any competition. I was clear from the start that I felt he deserved am interview and some bonus points for time served. I didn't expect the interview process to be a total farce, however. 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Since 2000, first time HC's that had the interim tag removed have a total of 0 combined winning seasons and have a 45-83 (35%) overall.

Cool story. 

Since 2000, USC QBs haven't even made a Superbowl (0%). 

Does that mean you're off Caleb’s jock now, too, Stat Master?

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Totty said:

Meanwhile he's negotiating a "don't fire me clause" for cheating while at Michigan?  Sounds like a guy who wants to stay to me....

I mean, he’s done multiple interviews to leave as well, so you can clearly make that point from both angles. He’s keeping his options open. But this year makes much more sense to leave because he’s done all he can do there, and if he’s serious about wanting to win a SB then now would be the perfect time.

Honestly, I’d love it if he went back to Michigan again. The only way I can see it is if the Falcons go with Bill and the Chargers end up being too cheap/amateur for his liking - which are both not totally unrealistic outcomes…

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Falcons fans going to be going nuts for sure.

Thankfully the Falcons don’t have many fans, so the building should be close to full with silver & black to boo the hell out of that charlatan McDaniels.

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

I’d agree with that.

The players got what they wanted, and now they need to show us it was the right decision. Can’t be essentially getting to pick the coach and then going out there and laying an egg.

If the defense can keep up its play from the 2nd half of the season (which is a big if, imo) and we put together a decent offensive staff and get some respectable play from the QB out there, then 9 wins shouldn’t be out of the question.

I’ll wait until I see the staff and offense take shape before making any predictions, but immediate reaction is that we need to be above .500 or all the culture change talk is irrelevant.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jpaulthe1st said:

He definitely earned the shot for the full time gig and I am rooting for him to succeed. But can’t lie…. I’m a little meh on it because this is definitely the most talent laden coaching cycle with proven winners. Time will tell…. 

One thing I will say is that this generation of players is a different animal to manage and he seems adept at the player/coach relationship. That should bode well for us becoming a destination organization for FA’s. 

I feel the same way, not mad at AP being named the coach but feel like we didnt even really explore the options. If we’d brought in Harbaugh and McDonald or Johnson or someone and still thought AP was the best option I’d have felt a bit more satisfied.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Justwinning said:

If the defense can maintain or even improve plus getting the offense back on track, why wouldn’t we be in a better place?

I think if we can add a competent QB, maybe a rookie with potential and then add a good DT and starting CB on D we should be better. That’s 3 high quality players in all of FA and draft. I don’t think we lose many guys and players like Mayer, Bennett and Wilson should improve in their second year. It’s not a given for sure, but there’s certainly reason to be optimistic the talent can be better next season.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tank4Drake said:

I don’t wanna hear ANY excuses if we win 6 games. Nothing. Nothing about players, the OC (which would be AP’s hire), nothing. If we win 6 games, the AP experiment is done. 

Nah, i don’t agree here. I think he should get two years and see what transpires. We can’t know the context to just throw out a random win total, that’s not a good way to run a business just to throw out an arbitrary number. 

If the team’s improved discipline doesn’t continue that would be a warning sign for me. Give the guy two full years to get his staff in place and put in place what he wants to do. If the second year flops like McDaniels then I think you consider a move. If that first year win total is disappointing he’s on the hot seat for sure but I think you have to give him a little patience as he may have a rookie QB after all and we know how they can dare first year even if they’re good.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Nah, i don’t agree here. I think he should get two years and see what transpires. We can’t know the context to just throw out a random win total, that’s not a good way to run a business just to throw out an arbitrary number. 

If the team’s improved discipline doesn’t continue that would be a warning sign for me. Give the guy two full years to get his staff in place and put in place what he wants to do. If the second year flops like McDaniels then I think you consider a move. If that first year win total is disappointing he’s on the hot seat for sure but I think you have to give him a little patience as he may have a rookie QB after all and we know how they can dare first year even if they’re good.

This right here is what I’m talking about. No. He gets one year. Rookie QB is NOT an excuse. 

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Since 2000, first time HC's that had the interim tag removed have a total of 0 combined winning seasons and have a 45-83 (35%) overall.

That’s certainly a valid concern, the average length of time a promoted interim is in place is actually a little longer, a couple months, than the average ‘fresh’ coaching hire so it’s not like there’s a night and day difference in success, but yes we ought to be aiming at the playoffs and failing to make those would be disappointing.

5 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

This right here is what I’m talking about. No. He gets one year. Rookie QB is NOT an excuse. 

I can't think of one a HC on earth who I would reasonably expect to be a 10+ win playoff team with a rookie QB. It's no different than AP. 

I'm thinking he should be able to get us to 8-9 wins however this seasons caveat is the QB. It's a QB driven league, the best coaches on earth can barely make a team a winning team without a good QB. 

Without a doubt it's the one thing that is going to hold this team back. Hopefully they fix that

• Like 3

Gimme minshew, aoc and a rookie. And honestly I have depth chart on the top 6, but I'll get behind any of em. They all are good to great prospects, just different drawbacks (phenix inj hist, nix's system, daniels is skinny as a post etc.) All played at a pretty high level, and 1 thing most can agree on is all have decent to great mobility. Just gotta wait and see....to be continued....lol 

I wanted to have a GM in place first.

Would have liked a GM, who has the chance to run a HC search and find his guy. With that said I'm totally fine with the AP hire As HC.

I think he earned the chance to really prove himself as the HC of this team!

I will be fine with Kelly or Dodds as GM. I think both of them would have choosen AP, so that's why they announced the HC híre already.

The question now is who will be the GM. Right now I think it's Dodds if he takes it, but they have Champ as option B, which they really like. Champ could be back As assGM, since he has the contract for that still. Maybe they wanna have Dodds and Champ, but if Dodds ends up with other team they just announce Champ...

I like that AP will have veteran coaching help and I hope as hell that his O staff will be a good one :)

• Like 3