49ers [24] Packers [21] - PostGame Thread

CWood21

2 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

1st - I'm legitimately asking - have you ever watched McCaffrey play?  He's the best offensive weapon in the game right now.

Clearly.   His YPA was slightly above his season average.  If being "average" is what you want out of your defense that has invested so much into it, we're not going to be on the same wavelength at all.  I'd like to see our defense win a game.  The defense was miserable by just about every metric over the course of the regular season in important stats.

3 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

Are you somehow suggesting limiting Brock Purdy to 58.9% was ....bad?      10% below his season average!?  O INT's?  -  Savage and Nixon were both in position to come away with 2 picks.  That's on Barry how exactly?   We put consistent pressure on Purdy tonight and put him on the ground repeatedly.     The D-line played well.

I said it earlier - totally cool with Barry moving on.  This just seems a stupid game to try to pile on him for

That was the "highlight" of the Packers' defense tonight.  That was probably the only "bright" spot I'd say the Packers' defense played well in.  I think they were beneficiaries of "bad" Brock Purdy.  The 3rd down conversion was the bigger red flag for me to be honest.  The Niners converted 63% of the time on 3rd down tonight.  Their regular season average was 47.5%.   The Packers' 3rd down defense for the season was 41.1%.   Nothing about this defensive performance was good.  If you want to argue it isn't the worst game he's coached, I wouldn't fight you.  But I'd point back to my statement made earlier in the post.  If "average" is what you want out of your defense with a large chunk of them being either FRPs or FA signings, we're not on the same wavelength.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Striker said:

I'm not as convinced of this based on MLF's words these past few weeks.

It's disheartening.  He does seem like he's not willing to go for a major change in culture on that side of the ball.  All I know is that we probably can't win a championship with Joe Barry.  Hopefully LaFleur really wants better, but likes the guy too much to throw anyone under the bus in a press conference.

28 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

What does Joe Barry do well? At his absolute BEST he plays conservative defenses and lets his players try and control the game. Defenses that we've invested more draft capital than 90% of the league if not 100, in order to get bottom 8 DVOA/EPA performance from. Name ONE single player that grew to elite levels under Barry? Saw what you want about Dom, Clay, Raji and Woodson became elite in his scheme. If anything he's taken our best player from 2020 (Alexander) and made him just an above average corner. He cannot design anything on his own (we saw that tonight, ******* horrendous schemed blitzes), he's leached his entire playbook from the other talented coordinators he's worked for and ONLY has a job because he's a friend of LaFleur's (no one would've hired him with his resume and no one will ever hire him once he's gone).

It got to the breaking point for McCarthy where it was "if you bring Dom back next year and he flops and hurts the team, you're gone with him, that time for LaFleur is right now. If he brings Barry back and next year we struggle on defense, Gute needs to step in and fire both and that's a shame because he's a good coach, but one with no proven accountability.

You wrote this post as a reply to me?   The post that I stated I'm cool with Barry moving on?   WTF?

His defense was not the problem tonight.  That was all I said.  I'm all good with piling on Barry for his season troubles- this just seems a stupid game to do it.

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

No. Just no. I don't know how much talent a DC needs but our defense has more than enough. 

Darnell Savage, Johnathan Owens, Anthony Johnson Jr., Keisan Nixon.

That's the talent he's working with in the middle of the field.

You think that's SB caliber talent?

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

It looks more and more like a talent issue to me. 

I'd love to upgrade both our coaching and our secondary.

In the secondary?  Sure.  Overall, the coaching or all the players need to go.  Seems easier to replace the coaches than the players in the offseason.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Darnell Savage, Johnathan Owens, Anthony Johnson Jr., Keisan Nixon.

That's the talent he's working with in the middle of the field.

You think that's SB caliber talent?

Now do the front 7. He had plenty of talent.

Just now, Kampfgeist said:

You wrote this post as a reply to me?   The post that I stated I'm cool with Barry moving on?   WTF?

His defense was not the problem tonight.  That was all I said.  I'm all good with piling on Barry for his season troubles- this just seems a stupid game to do it.

The final scoring drive for the Niners was typical soft butt Joe Barry D.   Nothing creative at all, and a bunch of easy looks for Purdy.  Hello Joe .. the game is on the line.  Might want to figure out a way to get home on Purdy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

We do need major secondary help. We never replaced Amos and trading Rasul hurts now that this team should've been in the NFCCG, but why invest in DB help for a guy who ruins DBs? If Barry is back, more EDGE and DLs, pass rush is the cure then.

Our Secondary was thread bare because of cap issues and saving money by jettisoning players. The Stokes & JA stories hurt us all year. IMO we were playing guys that I can only hope are backups / depth next year. I mean Christ - we had our KO/PR in coverage all year. He had a high water mark against KC and played well last week - but the overall was as you'd expect.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Hard to execute when 2 of the DL are legitimately lined up further in your backfield than your own center is.

On 3rd down the SF IDL were split over the OG.  That needs to be checked and get under center and sneak .  Not shotgun handoff

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

Yup. Rodgers ran the 2 minute drill as good as anyone, but I don’t think we would have been in that position with him. A couple plays where Love stood in and threw it with Bosa in his face. I think he shrinks and audibles out of some runs and the game isn’t as close. I felt really good about Love for most of this game. 

Yup, a display of two polar opposites in QBing

Good news with Love is we know he'll put balls up there for his guys that Rodgers would not have

The bad news is we gone back to the old Favre make something out of nothing approach which can also be bad.  I think we can win a Superbowl with Love but I got a bad feeling we're going to see some flashbacks to 2003 in Philly, 2004 vs Minny, 2007 vs the Giants and 2009 where Favre threw the same game ending pass that Love did tonight against the Saints that cost the Vikes that game.  Live too much by that sword and you'll die by it too.

• Like 1