49ers [24] Packers [21] - PostGame Thread

CWood21

21 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Joe Barry deserves good marks for this game I think. There's still a talent issue on that side of the ball. Better safety play and this is a very different ball game. 

Feels like MLF and Barry found something that worked toward the end of the year. Either move is defensible. 

If there's someone you like a lot more out there, available and interested. Bring them in. If you don't see anything that looks obviously better, work to improve some talent holes that still remain on that side of the ball and keep building from how the season ended.

Good God eff that. Get good marks for when the offense doesn’t play lights out they give up the game losing drive? I am so tired of having to depend on the offense playing exceptional to win games. Just once I want the defense to WIN a big game for GB. It’s not going to happen with Barry.

what MLf and Barry found good toward the end of the year was the HC having to step in tell his DC how to call a game. 

Edited by Arthur Penske
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Darnell Savage, Johnathan Owens, Anthony Johnson Jr., Keisan Nixon.

That's the talent he's working with in the middle of the field.

You think that's SB caliber talent?

Now list the 49ers LG, C, RG, RT. They're the best team in football. Shanny is one of the best in football. Next year's Packers will have a hole, so will 2025. Every team does. A great coach keeps the machine running, bad ones use the hole as their excuse.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

You wrote this post as a reply to me?   The post that I stated I'm cool with Barry moving on?   WTF?

His defense was not the problem tonight.  That was all I said.  I'm all good with piling on Barry for his season troubles- this just seems a stupid game to do it.

Was the defense the solution?

1 hour ago, Isherwood said:

I will say that I think MLF went into a lull with the lead in the 3rd and 4th quarter. Went back to a lot of that horizontal, quick pass, bubble stuff that I thought we got away from. The SF linebackers are too good for that stuff. They don’t overpursue. Think for 2 drives or so he called it a little scared. 

I think the offense started to sputter when Tom left the game.

The more I observe the NFL, the more it becomes apparent the DC is more responsible for the efficiency of a defense than its perceived talent levels. 

Just a few examples of teams that have vastly improved defensive simply by hiring a competent DC are:

Browns and Vikings with Schwartz and Flores

Cowboys going from Nolan to Quinn, Chiefs defense was atrocious before they brought in Spags. Same with Lions before they fired their guy midseason and promoted Glenn. Bears having Eberflus call plays.

On the flip side, Eagles are still reeling from the loss of Gannon and look completely clueless out there despite what was expected to be one of the best units. 

No doubt there are talent deficiencies with the Packers, and that is expected from a rebuilding year. But they absolutely could have outperformed their bottom 8 rankings simply by having one of the guys above. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Clearly.   His YPA was slightly above his season average.  If being "average" is what you want out of your defense that has invested so much into it, we're not going to be on the same wavelength at all.  I'd like to see our defense win a game.  The defense was miserable by just about every metric over the course of the regular season in important stats.

That was the "highlight" of the Packers' defense tonight.  That was probably the only "bright" spot I'd say the Packers' defense played well in.  I think they were beneficiaries of "bad" Brock Purdy.  The 3rd down conversion was the bigger red flag for me to be honest.  The Niners converted 63% of the time on 3rd down tonight.  Their regular season average was 47.5%.   The Packers' 3rd down defense for the season was 41.1%.   Nothing about this defensive performance was good.  If you want to argue it isn't the worst game he's coached, I wouldn't fight you.  But I'd point back to my statement made earlier in the post.  If "average" is what you want out of your defense with a large chunk of them being either FRPs or FA signings, we're not on the same wavelength.

Of course- it was just "bad" Brock Purdy.  Our defense had nothing to do with that.    I'm all for piling on Barry for the season in totality - but to write this off as just "bad" Brock Purdy is some ****.    I just don't have some Barry blinders on - I'll give him some credit where I think it's due -- even if it's begrudgingly so.   The D performed well enough for us to walk away with a W tonight.   

I'm in ****n' agreement - the defense was miserable over the course of the regular season.   Find a post where I disagree with that.   I'm not a Barry apologist - take your angst out elsewhere.    

Not sure if MLF will have the stones to fire Barry, given this performance tonight. However, I disagree w/ the premise of some fans that Barry can’t be faulted for missed tackles. Teams have the ability to improve their tackling if they want to. You get what you emphasize in practice. There is more to being a DC than just calling plays. How many players has Barry really developed into an elite player? A lot seem to plateau prematurely after minor gains. 

if we are going to be a draft & *develop* team as Gutey seems to want, some of that developing is going to have to happen on the defensive side of the ball, not just the offense. Especially given how many high draft resources they invest on defense. 

1 minute ago, Kampfgeist said:

Of course- it was just "bad" Brock Purdy.  Our defense had nothing to do with that.    I'm all for piling on Barry for the season in totality - but to write this off as just "bad" Brock Purdy is some ****.    I just don't have some Barry blinders on - I'll give him some credit where I think it's due -- even if it's begrudgingly so.   The D performed well enough for us to walk away with a W tonight.   

I'm in ****n' agreement - the defense was miserable over the course of the regular season.   Find a post where I disagree with that.   I'm not a Barry apologist - take your angst out elsewhere.    

How many open receivers did Purdy miss? Lots.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Good God eff that. Get good marks for when the offense doesn’t play lights out they give up the game losing drive? I am so tired of having to depend on the offense playing exceptional to win games. Just once I want the defense to WIN a big game for GB. It’s not going to happen with Barry.

what MLf and Barry found good toward the end of the year was the HC having to step in tell his DC how to call a game. 

Our PLAYERS dropped at least two gimme INTs. Our QB threw two their players caught. That -4 net turnover result is not Joe Barry's fault.

• Like 2