2024 Free Agency Discussion

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:

Wish the Franchise tag would've been abolished last CBA, would've been fun to see all these guys hit the market.

I dig how leagues like the NHL don't have the tag. Of course there are RFA/UFA's but I hate how teams can completely hijack a guy's career where his only leverage is sitting out.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I dig how leagues like the NHL don't have the tag. Of course there are RFA/UFA's but I hate how teams can completely hijack a guy's career where his only leverage is sitting out.

Jeez if paying me a guaranteed salary base of a top 5 money is torture! What’s bad? 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Wish the Franchise tag would've been abolished last CBA, would've been fun to see all these guys hit the market.

I get why players don't like it, but as a fan I like it a lot. We have the opportunity to see our favorite players stay on our team for most of if not all of their careers. That said, they should definitely change the rule for placing a second franchise tag and make that even more exuberant than it already is. 

I love basketball but it's so tiring watching top players jump from team to team. They might as well do a redraft every year.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

I get why players don't like it, but as a fan I like it a lot. We have the opportunity to see our favorite players stay on our team for most of if not all of their careers. That said, they should definitely change the rule for placing a second franchise tag and make that even more exuberant than it already is. 

I love basketball but it's so tiring watching top players jump from team to team. They might as well do a redraft every year.

Yeah the one tag is the compromise that made the most sense.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Yeah.  There is absolutely zero way that the Jaguars can let Josh Allen walk.  He is the entirety of their pass rush, and an absolute superstar.  I'd much rather just hand him all the money on an actual long-term deal.  But at the very absolute worst, you have to Tag him.  If they were to let him walk, i'd ******* quit the Jaguars i think.  Just unacceptable loss.  It'd be straight up incompetence.

I know other fans are drooling over the prospect, but it's honestly just a waste of time and space to feature him in that graphic at all.

13 hours ago, BroncoSojia said:

So this means Ridley is going to be free.

And good ******* riddance too.

Someone please take this useless marshmallow away.  I don't even want him back on a cheap rate, much less at Tag money.  That'd be insane for what little he actually brings to the table.  Dude is still living off massive draft overhype and name recognition, plus a few completely schemed up touches.  He's useless at pretty much everything else.

I could see him being a worthwhile pickup for some team that just needs a burner as a secondary/tertiary option.  Like the Bills, where his speed would definitely be intriguing with big Joshy's arm.  But if he's going to get big offers anywhere near WR tag money, someone else is going to get to regret their decision pretty badly.  He's not That Dude.  At all.

9 hours ago, Kiltman said:

I mean yeah, bright lights, big shiny market teams would love to see the tag 86'd.  It's pretty imperative for smaller and less flashy market teams to maintain some semblance of competitive parity to have it in there though.

Josh Allen situation in Jacksonville is pretty much case in point.  You can't punish teams for drafting and developing well, by letting players just hit the road for fancier markets just as their hitting their peak.  Especially in the sense that it'd just be another stepping stone toward "superteams" that basically make half of the NBA and MLB utterly pointless, like a farm team feeder league within the other league.  Big, prestige markets and teams with superstar Quarterbacks are already at a serious advantage when it comes to signing and retaining Free Agent talent as it is.  You can't remove the one, very limited tool that helps at least stave off the absolute worst of parity breaking talent siphoning.

The NHL gets by without a Tag rule...because players don't reach UFA status until ~27 years of age (and has fully guaranteed contracts).  But even then, with arbitration processes, it is still becoming a fairly prevalent issue of players "forcing their way out" as they approach that UFA age/games threshold anyway.  It creates some massive distortions in a rigid cap, parity league.  And that's with almost ten years of "team control" out of the draft.

In the NFL, it'd just be a bloodbath for the smaller market teams that already struggle to build, draft, sign, and retain talent at a truly competitive level.  Especially without putting themselves in cap hell by overpaying guys to "take a paid vacation" there.  You'd end up with a multi-tiered league with teams that exist solely to feed talent into the other premiere teams.  Which would probably just drive a good handful of teams entirely out of business.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

I want the Packers to kick the can on Antonion Gibson. I think in a different scheme he'd be dynamic

I'd be curious about him from a Jaguars perspective too.  I think he'd offer a decent second-option/insurance for ETN.  He can do a lot of similar sort of things, though maybe not at quite as high a level or quite as explosive.  But it feels like the went through last year without any kind of fallback plan or safety net behind ETN and it was pretty noticeable every time he'd leave the field.

Might just be easier to keep searching for a RB2 in the draft for cheap.  But i've always liked Gibson and it feels like a similar enough fit to at least create less drop-off from the starter, or less that you can to tailor the playcalling around when ETN leaves the field.  Gibson also feels like one of those guys who sort of lost his gig more due to circumstances rather than a precipitous decline in his a play or ability.  He just got overtaken by a better RB who also fit that scheme better, and was able to do more with less in terms of OLine play.  Still think Gibson has enough to work with as a nice RB2 + Gadget Weapon type player.

12 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

That PFF list of Top 150 I'd like to target: 

#36 Dalton Schultz, TE

I didn't realize Schultz contract was so short.  I'd definitely kick some tires on that if he decides he doesn't just want to stay in Houston.  Hilarious unfortunate series of events in that one game with Dem Boys aside, he's just a really good, solid, reliable no fuss pass catching TE.  Not a gamebreaker, but i love easy chain movers like that.

Can't imagine why Houston wouldn't find a way to get something done with him though.  You want to keep Stroud happy.

5 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I didn't realize Schultz contract was so short.  I'd definitely kick some tires on that if he decides he doesn't just want to stay in Houston.  Hilarious unfortunate series of events in that one game with Dem Boys aside, he's just a really good, solid, reliable no fuss pass catching TE.  Not a gamebreaker, but i love easy chain movers like that.

Can't imagine why Houston wouldn't find a way to get something done with him though.  You want to keep Stroud happy.

I agree. Still, shoot your shot if you can. I do think odds are better than not that he is back in Houston though.

• Like 2

For the Chiefs, at this point I would lean towards:

Letting Chris Jones walk and accept the future comp pick.

Franchise tag L'Jarius Sneed.

Let Willie Gay walk if it means we can re-sign Drue Tranquill to a long term deal. I would love to have Gay and Tranquill back but re-signing one of them is more realistic.

Re-sign Donovan Smith to another 1 year deal and hope Wanya Morris or someone else can show enough in the offseason to relegate Smith to a veteran backup role.

16 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Meh.  NFLPA has had any number of chances to try to nix the tag.  It's clearly not a priority for them, so I can only care so much when players get jerked around by it.  I assume it's the relatively small impact the tag has on the overall pool of players that makes fighting to remove it a low priority for the NFLPA.

Breaking down the Falcons outgoing list:

Unrestricted:

QB    11 Logan Woodside
RB    84 Cordarrelle Patterson
FB    40 Keith Smith
WR    18 Mack Hollins
WR    15 Van Jefferson
WR    16 Scotty Miller
WR    12 KhaDarel Hodge
TE    85 MyCole Pruitt
OT    77 Storm Norton
OT    71 Ethan Greenidge
C    61 Matt Hennessy
DL    93 Calais Campbell
DL    75 Kentavius Street
DL    99 Joe Gaziano
DL    94 Albert Huggins
EDGE    48 Bud Dupree
LB    59 Andre Smith
CB    1 Jeff Okudah
CB    33 Tre Flowers

Likely re-signs would be Norton, Hodge, Keith Smith.

I think they make a run at bringing back Campbell and Dupree at worst for depth. Okudah as well. 

Restricted:

WR    88 Frank Darby
TE    15 Feleipe Franks
TE    46 Parker Hesse
DL    74 Carlos Davis

I don't think one of these guys gets an offer. 

OL    64 Ryan Neuzil
LB    53 Nate Landman
LB    42 Frank Ginda
LS    49 Liam McCullough

All of these guys should be back for minimum salaries. Maybe Landman gets a 2-3 year deal to buy out his RFA status.

On 1/25/2024 at 10:59 PM, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  There is absolutely zero way that the Jaguars can let Josh Allen walk.  He is the entirety of their pass rush, and an absolute superstar.  I'd much rather just hand him all the money on an actual long-term deal.  But at the very absolute worst, you have to Tag him.  If they were to let him walk, i'd ******* quit the Jaguars i think.  Just unacceptable loss.  It'd be straight up incompetence.

I know other fans are drooling over the prospect, but it's honestly just a waste of time and space to feature him in that graphic at all.

And good ******* riddance too.

Someone please take this useless marshmallow away.  I don't even want him back on a cheap rate, much less at Tag money.  That'd be insane for what little he actually brings to the table.  Dude is still living off massive draft overhype and name recognition, plus a few completely schemed up touches.  He's useless at pretty much everything else.

I could see him being a worthwhile pickup for some team that just needs a burner as a secondary/tertiary option.  Like the Bills, where his speed would definitely be intriguing with big Joshy's arm.  But if he's going to get big offers anywhere near WR tag money, someone else is going to get to regret their decision pretty badly.  He's not That Dude.  At all.

I mean yeah, bright lights, big shiny market teams would love to see the tag 86'd.  It's pretty imperative for smaller and less flashy market teams to maintain some semblance of competitive parity to have it in there though.

Josh Allen situation in Jacksonville is pretty much case in point.  You can't punish teams for drafting and developing well, by letting players just hit the road for fancier markets just as their hitting their peak.  Especially in the sense that it'd just be another stepping stone toward "superteams" that basically make half of the NBA and MLB utterly pointless, like a farm team feeder league within the other league.  Big, prestige markets and teams with superstar Quarterbacks are already at a serious advantage when it comes to signing and retaining Free Agent talent as it is.  You can't remove the one, very limited tool that helps at least stave off the absolute worst of parity breaking talent siphoning.

The NHL gets by without a Tag rule...because players don't reach UFA status until ~27 years of age (and has fully guaranteed contracts).  But even then, with arbitration processes, it is still becoming a fairly prevalent issue of players "forcing their way out" as they approach that UFA age/games threshold anyway.  It creates some massive distortions in a rigid cap, parity league.  And that's with almost ten years of "team control" out of the draft.

In the NFL, it'd just be a bloodbath for the smaller market teams that already struggle to build, draft, sign, and retain talent at a truly competitive level.  Especially without putting themselves in cap hell by overpaying guys to "take a paid vacation" there.  You'd end up with a multi-tiered league with teams that exist solely to feed talent into the other premiere teams.  Which would probably just drive a good handful of teams entirely out of business.

I want Josh bad. Maybe a trade

with Jags. 1st and 2nd next year… 
but yeah the Jags would be crazy to let him walk. They’re building something nice out there. 

Lions need to go all in fixing the pass defense, in all honesty with how atrocious our pass D has been this year we're probably punching above our weight class making it to the NFC championship game.

This team cannot go into 2024 with Cam Sutton as CB1. Hopefully one of the top F/A CBs doesn't get franchised and the Lions can nab one.

Edited by rob_shadows