Justin Field Trade Options

G08

IDK from my end it's looking more and more like getting even a 2nd is out of the picture for Fields..... He's likely going somewhere to be a backup, not a starter.

6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I still think Fields could be an outside option in Vegas…no way we trade him to Minnesota.

He might have a really remote shot in LV, but for Getsy to get another job right away he has to have painted Fields as a significant reason if not the reason for his offense’s failures in Chicago, right? For LV to then acquire that same QB wouldn’t make much sense to me. Cousins/Wilson landing there still helps our chances to move Fields for value significantly more than it hurts IMO.

For the Bears to be willing to trade him within the division would tell me that they don’t think he’s any good at all. Sending him to a place where they’ll play him 2x a year for several years for what we have to presume would be mid-round draft capital would be a net loss otherwise.

Along those same lines, we’ve talked about conditional 2025 picks in prospective trades a lot. We’ll never know, but if Poles has been unwilling to take 2025 conditional compensation as a noteworthy part of any prospective trade it would be easy to glean from that that he doesn’t think JF is good enough to reach any conditions to escalate the future pick.

With FA effectively starting Monday, at least we’re finally almost at the point where we can stop speculating about this and just know the direction. Discussing guys who are going to be part of our plans moving forward is far more interesting than speculating constantly on the Fields trade stuff.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CBears019 said:

They also had the opportunity to draft him and passed for Bridgewater/Lock.  Granted, they may not view him as worthy of the 9th overall pick, but maybe they do view him as worthy of a combination of mid-round picks.

I would say they passed on him for Surtain (who is awesome) more than the QBs. Fangio was a hot seat HC at that point and they may have been looking to avoid falling into the Bears rookie QB/HC cycle. 

3 hours ago, Epyon said:

IDK from my end it's looking more and more like getting even a 2nd is out of the picture for Fields..... He's likely going somewhere to be a backup, not a starter.

I am guessing if they had a second offered deal would already done.  

It might not hurt to wait until Cousins decides and see if value goes up.

Cousins has won nothing and been on good teams.  I question whether he can finish a full season anymore and even if he could whether that means all that much.    

I like Fields, but for Cousins to have more value at 35 coming off an Achilles is telling about how people think of Fields at moment.  It speaks more so than any emotional argument.  The market is the market.  You may love your house, but the price will still be what other people think of your house.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I still think Fields could be an outside option in Vegas…no way we trade him to Minnesota.

I have no problem trading him to MN.   I will do whatever trade to make my team better.  

I always say in any sport you have to beat everyone to be number 1. To me  KC is just as much my enemy as MN.  More so because they are better right now. 

GB is an exception.  I really want to beat them something extra.  But I still would trade with them.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I have no problem trading him to MN.   I will do whatever trade to make my team better.  

I always say in any sport you have to beat everyone to be number 1. To me  KC is just as much my enemy as MN.  More so because they are better right now. 

GB is an exception.  I really want to beat them something extra.  But I still would trade with them.  

Totally agree.  We have to stop thinking about the Bears in terms of other teams QBs in the division.  Rodgers torching us for years made that feel like the status quo but it was never going to matter if he was here or not if the Bears didn't have their own powerhouse offense/QB.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I am guessing if they had a second offered deal would already done.  

It might not hurt to wait until Cousins decides and see if value goes up.

Cousins has won nothing and been on good teams.  I question whether he can finish a full season anymore and even if he could whether that means all that much.    

I like Fields, but for Cousins to have more value at 35 coming off an Achilles is telling about how people think of Fields at moment.  It speaks more so than any emotional argument.  The market is the market.  You may love your house, but the price will still be what other people think of your house.

The Achilles isn’t a long term concern for me if I’m looking at Cousins because he was already a stationary QB anyway. He has 902 total rushing yards in the 9 seasons he’s been a full time starter. Once healed he’ll be the same guy on the field in terms of how he plays.

For a mobile QB like Fields, Hurts, etc. it would be much more of a wait and see issue. 

22 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Yikes no thanks.  What's the upside from this move? That some team might get desperate enough either in summer or season to trade for more than teams are offering now for Fields?  You're also moving whatever draft compensation into 2025 when doing it now should get you 2024 picks.   Meanwhile, it is guaranteed to be a non stop story and we're getting kinda sick of those.  Can't see this being anything positive for the team dynamics and wouldn't appease anyone who was really big on Justin, certainly worse than moving him now and giving them some time to process.  Instead you'd have that conflict front and center, literally walking aroudn the same locker room together. Yikes again. I see the thought of being able to get more for Justin but in the meantime what a circus.

This is my final defense for this topic and then we will all see it play out ✌🏻 

we only hold onto Fields if teams are low balling us. JF is more valuable as a Starter-bridge QB for Caleb than he is a 4th or 5th round pick NOW. That same pick, at least, will be available no matter what JF does with Waldron. 

The upside is that Caleb is not made to carry the franchise day 1  ! AnD JF is given a chance to see what he can do with Waldron and the Chicago Bears get one of the likely very few explosive year remaining in JFs career. 

I'm not giving all that up for a 5th round pick ! because of perceptions from media and fans, that's insane.

Poles should be fired today if he cared that much about media/fan perception. I'm a psychologist, you are a business owner iirc, Ryan Poles is an NFL General Manager.  Should I care what you think of my patients, should you care  what I think about your business ? of course not. We each know what is best for our respective stewardships. 

Now if it DOES go sideways, trade JF for a crap pick then, but not now. Let it play out some.

Justin is a perfect teammate and gentleman, Caleb seems like a pretty dam great lockerroom guy also. They both have great respect for each other, the rest of the roster very likely shares this respectful sentiment. What's more, there is a clear pecking order to start bc CW is a Rookie.

JF will get injured and miss games. CW will start some games and maybe a 2headed monster at QB is what ensures we make POs and win some games. 

Is this ideal ?  No. 

Can things go sideways ? Yes. 

Should we be too scared to have Fields and CW on same roster ? No. 

Again, if it DOES go sideways, TheN move JF. Market will be very different at that point and CW isn't thrown into 🔥 

Lets be real here. Our Bears have 0 trackrecord success for drafting and development of QBs !  ZERO !!

easing CW into things is far move valuable than a late pick NOW  esp when that same pick will most likely a better one(s) for '25 Draft. 

It worked with Brees and Rivers, Aikman and Walsh ...we've also seen MANY  examples of rookie QBs sitting and having fantastic success 

Poles BETTER GET IT RIGHT ! 

7 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

He might have a really remote shot in LV, but for Getsy to get another job right away he has to have painted Fields as a significant reason if not the reason for his offense’s failures in Chicago, right? For LV to then acquire that same QB wouldn’t make much sense to me. Cousins/Wilson landing there still helps our chances to move Fields for value significantly more than it hurts IMO.

For the Bears to be willing to trade him within the division would tell me that they don’t think he’s any good at all. Sending him to a place where they’ll play him 2x a year for several years for what we have to presume would be mid-round draft capital would be a net loss otherwise.

Along those same lines, we’ve talked about conditional 2025 picks in prospective trades a lot. We’ll never know, but if Poles has been unwilling to take 2025 conditional compensation as a noteworthy part of any prospective trade it would be easy to glean from that that he doesn’t think JF is good enough to reach any conditions to escalate the future pick.

With FA effectively starting Monday, at least we’re finally almost at the point where we can stop speculating about this and just know the direction. Discussing guys who are going to be part of our plans moving forward is far more interesting than speculating constantly on the Fields trade stuff.

ya NoWaY we trade JF w/in Division 

Dianna Russini on Hoge and Jahns.

She said market for Fields is very weak until Cousins and Baker move and then will appear.

She said she went to Indy looking to intentionally catalogue and talk to all teams interested in Justin and didn't find any.  At all.  Or none that would tell her.  

She said she doesn't think there is a team looking to make Fields starter out of gate.  

She laughed and thought notion ridiculous that anyone would consider keeping Justin and not taking Caleb.

She does think Bears will get something for Justin when market changes.  

She doesn't think MN has any interest in Fields.  She thinks they would want Darnold or Brissett.

17 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Dianna Russini on Hoge and Jahns.

She said market for Fields is very weak until Cousins and Baker move and then will appear.

She said she went to Indy looking to intentionally catalogue and talk to all teams interested in Justin and didn't find any.  At all.  Or none that would tell her.  

She said she doesn't think there is a team looking to make Fields starter out of gate.  

She laughed and thought notion ridiculous that anyone would consider keeping Justin and not taking Caleb.

She does think Bears will get something for Justin when market changes.  

She doesn't think MN has any interest in Fields.  She thinks they would want Darnold or Brissett.

Sad state of affairs for Justin but pretty much were we are at.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2024 at 7:03 AM, AZBearsFan said:

It's very distinct possible that he threw Eberflus under the bus so to speak.  That Bears' offense looked drastically different  than the offense Green Bay ran under LaFleur.  He could have easily argued that Eberflus ordered him to play a conservative, ball-control based offense and that didn't match Fields' strengths.  That seems like the more obvious answer to why Chicago's offense struggled if he were asked during his interview.  Again, I'm still skeptical that Las Vegas is in on Justin Fields, but I wouldn't completely close the door. I think they're more likely to be trading up for a QB.

• Like 2