Justin Field Trade Options

G08

Back to JF

Hard to believe Poles trades away our 5th (one of our few picks) for Bates without kNowing that there will be something(s) coming back for JF in this Draft

Edited by SLCbear
  • Like 1

IF offers are underwhelming still plenty of room in the Draft Caleb and  KeeP JF camp  ...let the Rookie sit and learn for a little while

Miller and Jurko have joined me ha ha  Mike Lombardi as well 

3 hours ago, SLCbear said:

IF offers are underwhelming still plenty of room in the Draft Caleb and  KeeP JF camp  ...let the Rookie sit and learn for a little while

Miller and Jurko have joined me ha ha  Mike Lombardi as well 

I always though that could be a possibility if the trade market for Fields wasnt great. Trade deadline could bring more return.

10 hours ago, dafreak said:

I always though that could be a possibility if the trade market for Fields wasnt great. Trade deadline could bring more return.

Cool and we have the biggest distraction possible in the NFL landscape. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

I’m with you. I want a maximum return (everyone does) but creating an unnecessary difficult situation for everyone (most notably the rookie on whom you’re already putting ungodly amounts of pressure on to be a savior) to get what wouldn’t be any 2024 return at all to hold Fields until the trade deadline (compensation then would be for 2025) is dumb.

Also, unless he’s starting here and playing well (in which case the likelihood we move our starting QB in a playoff push is really low) his trade value will be less later, not more. If Fields is sitting on the bench here (the most likely scenario if he and CW are both here) his trade value at the deadline will be basically nothing. If we draft CW we aren’t picking up Fields’ 5YO, so by November his FA would be just a half dozen or so games away, plus he’d need to be brought up to speed at the new destination before he could actually be expected to play at a competent level, so the acquiring team is getting assured to, what, 3-4 games tops before having to decide on JF ahead of FA? That’s not worth **** in a trade on the other side. 

Edited by AZBearsFan

14 hours ago, SLCbear said:

Back to JF

Hard to believe Poles trades away our 5th (one of our few picks) for Bates without kNowing that there will be something(s) coming back for JF in this Draft

This makes sense.

Also Shayne from TTNL said they had an offer for a third, but he was quoting someone else.   I didn’t catch who. Not sure if that is true.

It does make sense.  I think they are holding out for a 2nd or a little better.  

I think they take last best in next week or two or after Cousins decides and we’ll see what it is.

22 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

ever since GG started writing on WCG he's been a "guys that were good for the bears i scouted and guys that were bad weren't my department" and a ton of his comments regarding prospects, especially in the last few years, have been with an "old man yells at the clouds" mentality. then when people disagree with him he gets butthurt and blocks them. he still tries to wear his scouting hat but the problem is it's 25+ years old and has never gotten updated with the times

This dude just loves dunking on himself

We need Gabriel to be put in a home.  

I get that he was a director of player personnel and that’s a big deal, but….was he ever successful?  Like successful enough to act the way he does?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

I get that he was a director of player personnel and that’s a big deal, but….was he ever successful?  Like successful enough to act the way he does?

Yes, no, no. 

I generally like Windy City Gridiron, but his articles have usually a heavy dose of regressive takes on the modern NFL coupled with being hilariously wrong.  If I recall right he was lukewarm on Wright last year, but really though Tyler Scott and Roschon were going to take over the team.  I've generally started using him as a reference for what not to think about things.  On the other hand, it is cool to get some background stories on how things used to work in the NFL. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Yes, no, no. 

I generally like Windy City Gridiron, but his articles have usually a heavy dose of regressive takes on the modern NFL coupled with being hilariously wrong.  If I recall right he was lukewarm on Wright last year, but really though Tyler Scott and Roschon were going to take over the team.  I've generally started using him as a reference for what not to think about things.  On the other hand, it is cool to get some background stories on how things used to work in the NFL. 

I do think it is likely Roschon's best days are ahead of him not behind.

I say because he was a position convert and he didn't play much behind a better football player.  And because by all accounts he is super intelligent and a diligent worker.

But so much of RB is just instinct and not necessarily intelligence unlike say OL or QB or S.  The running aspect of it anyway.

I thought he would eventually move up to co number 1 and he did.  But he kind of fell off after he got a concussion.  I think he works his way back up there again in 2024 unless Bears find a stud in draft (and those can be found anywhere at RB) or sign a FA who is better.

1 hour ago, CBears019 said:

I don't have a twitter, but I've seen enough bad takes from him posted on the boards I don't think I can take him seriously. I mean he seems like a Skip or SAS who just focuses on one team to me. 

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m with you. I want a maximum return (everyone does) but creating an unnecessary difficult situation for everyone (most notably the rookie on whom you’re already putting ungodly amounts of pressure on to be a savior) to get what wouldn’t be any 2024 return at all to hold Fields until the trade deadline (compensation then would be for 2025) is dumb.

Also, unless he’s starting here and playing well (in which case the likelihood we move our starting QB in a playoff push is really low) his trade value will be less later, not more. If Fields is sitting on the bench here (the most likely scenario if he and CW are both here) his trade value at the deadline will be basically nothing. If we draft CW we aren’t picking up Fields’ 5YO, so by November his FA would be just a half dozen or so games away, plus he’d need to be brought up to speed at the new destination before he could actually be expected to play at a competent level, so the acquiring team is getting assured to, what, 3-4 games tops before having to decide on JF ahead of FA? That’s not worth **** in a trade on the other side. 

Its not only a 'max return' driving this outlook for me. Keeping JF this year to protect CW from being thrown to wolves week 1  has more value that a 4-6 round pick. Also we would not have to spend money on a backup like Tyrod or Gardner. Caleb will get a start or 2, or 3 or 4 when Fields misses games.

CW can learn alot from JF, most notably what NOT to do, holding the ball, playing hero ball, running around thinking he can do those same things in the NFL with his legs etc

I look at TLawrence Bryce Young Patrick Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers (I refuse to include Love until I see him do something wo great protection and WRs running free EVERYwhere)  AnD can't help but think Lawrence and Young would be MUcH better off not having to carry the franchise Week 1 and how much better off Mahomes and ARod are for being able to sit and learn some. It doesn't HaVE to be an 'unnecessarily difficult situation for everyone'  tell young Caleb he will back up JF to start, tell JF its his job to lose, let it play out ...guys in the lockerroom will watch it play out and most likely have grEAT respect for both QBs, both super talented and super likeable ! Chargers did it with Rivers and Brees wo any difficulties  

My outlook is not so much to move JF at the deadline either, the only scenario in which this makes sense is if JF goes down EARLy and Caleb steps in for few games and lights it up. 

Compensation for this Draft or next is fairly equal right ? Unless you see us contending for SB this season. 

JF in year 4 is same price or less than a FA backup, but MOsT importantly protects Caleb  ...and Waldron will have a shot at getting the best out of Fields, which only improves JFs value. Teams will have missed out on his HELLAcheap year 4 but its their own fault for not stepping up and giving us solid compensation NOW

If JF looks the same then we trade him away for the later round pick that we would be receiving NOw, or outright release him and let him choose where he wants to play. By then he will have been given an opportunity with Waldron, while firmly protecting our future (CW) both of these are way more valuable than a late round '24 pick imho

Edited by SLCbear

5 hours ago, GOGRIESE said:

'biggest distraction possible' ? Why can it onLy be this ? CW is a different kind of dude and wants to be the GoAT, Mahomes sat for most of Rookie Season, Tom Brady didn't start week 1 either. Caleb's idol Aaron Rodgers sat for sever seasons, so why would CW look down on having to sit some ?? Hell  Caleb may even WANT to sit on some level, its not like we have a great track history (or any history at all ha ha) drafting and developing QBs. I'm sure Caleb has muchos respect for JF and vice versa.

Whats more, JF is wired perfectly and will never EVER be a lockerroom cancer 

Chargers did it with Brees and Rivers, Cowboys with Aikman and Walsh, we are not setting any precedent 

Edited by SLCbear

People cite Darnold, Rosen, Wentz, but forget those didn't work out. Also Ryan trade (a 3rd) didn't work out. Jimmy G. (2nd) worked out as they went to a SB with him, but they still tried to leave after a time.

Each situation is different, but teams aren't eager to repeat recent history and throw high draft picks away.

I knew it wasn't realistic, but I did say Bears should consider trading him after Wash. game.   We rarely try to sell high though.