Combine Week Mock Draft - 1st round with trades

BowserBroncos

I'd be disappointed if the niners made that move up for a likely guard. Especially given how much they need to add depth right now. Giving up 2 third round picks isn't nothing. The pick makes sense though.

Personally have my eyes set on Christian Haynes in round 2 

4 hours ago, BowserBroncos said:

Chicago Bears trade QB Justin Fields to the Atlanta Falcons for #43 and #110

This is fine. Value is fair.

4 hours ago, BowserBroncos said:

8. Atlanta Falcons - Byron Murphy II - DT - Texas

LOL whut? This doesn't make any sense. Murphy is good, but he's not top 10 or even 1st round good. Olu Fashanu at OT, Dallas Turner or Jared Verse at EDGE or even a WR like Odunze makes a ton of sense here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BowserBroncos said:

Round 1

24. Dallas Cowboys - Jer'Zhan Newton - DT - Illinois
25. Buffalo Bills (from Green Bay Packers) - Brian Thomas Jr. - WR - LSU
26. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Graham Barton - OL - Duke
27. Jacksonville Jaguars (from Houston Texans through Arizona Cardinals) - Troy Frankin - WR - Oregon
28. Green Bay Packers (from Buffalo Bills) - Kool-Aid McKinstry - CB - Alabama
29. Miami Dolphins (from Detroit Lions) - Tyler Guyton - OT - Oklahoma
30. Baltimore Ravens - Tyler Nubin - S - Minnesota
31. Pittsburgh Steelers (from San Francisco 49ers) - Edgerrin Cooper - LB - Texas A&M
32. Philadelphia Eagles (from Kansas City Chiefs) - Payton Wilson - LB - NC State

After drafting a DT last year (Mazi Smith) in the first round for the first time since Russell Maryland, I highly doubt Dallas goes back to back.  Osi was a spectacular 3T and had Quinn and Co. not tried to convert 1T run stuffing Mazi into a 3T penetrator asking him to drop 40lbs mid-season, then I think we might have held up better against the run Ian Buffalo and against Green Bay down the stretch.  Regardless, we may look at DT in the mid-rounds, but not in the first.

Give us Kool-Aid if we don't resign Stephon Gilmore as he';s a perfect press-man cover corner for Zimmer's scheme, or give us Brian Thomas Jr. to give us a #2 across from Lamb.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'd be disappointed if the niners made that move up for a likely guard. Especially given how much they need to add depth right now. Giving up 2 third round picks isn't nothing. The pick makes sense though.

Personally have my eyes set on Christian Haynes in round 2 

Keep seeing a lot of people saying they think Fautanu sticks at tackle. I'd not projected 49ers to move for him if he is a guard.

Him going before Guyton was about he sticking at tackle too, Guyton is more of project and I keep seeing people saying Fautanu starts right away. Haynes in the second round is really a good get for the interior.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BowserBroncos said:

Keep seeing a lot of people saying they think Fautanu sticks at tackle. I'd not projected 49ers to move for him if he is a guard.

Him going before Guyton was about he sticking at tackle too, Guyton is more of project and I keep seeing people saying Fautanu starts right away. Haynes in the second round is really a good get for the interior.

You can fail him at tackle first, no doubt. But I think he's ultimately a guard at the next level. 

Not the worst thing for the niners, they arguably need a guard more so than a tackle unless they sign someone. I just wouldn't make that move either. If they think he's a tackle, I get why they would do it. 

• Like 2

The eagles would never draft an off ball LB in the first, unless he looks like a clone of Pat Willis or Luke Kuechly. Payton Wilson does not, and has injury red flags to boot. 

Edited by Jeezla

On 2/28/2024 at 12:41 PM, BowserBroncos said:

No worries my friend. I'm just playing it.

In this case I just went with the rumor on twitter yesterday that the Falcons were engaged with trading for Fields (I know the source isn't the best one tho). I think a trade for Fields will be a 2nd+, personally I wouldn't paid that, but probably the price.

Think Murphy will go quite high. He probably is my backup plan if Broncos can't land McCarthy, but I get what your are saying. One of the edges are the most likely or there is another position Falcons would focus with the QBs gone?

It's all good brother i know you do tons of different mocks and looks through out the offseason.  Some i will love and some i will hate but will never say anything can't happen because as we all know the draft and teams are a crap shoot everytime.    I honestly feel Fields will get a 2nd round pick as well i can't argue with you on that one and i won't hate it just not my 1st choice.  But one i find very realistic that could happen and it could very well be us. 

As far as positions we desperately need most it would be  

Starting needs
QB
Edge
WR (we only have London at WR on the roster right now we will need to add a legit #2 or 3 in the draft and one in FA as well. 
SS

Depth needed
WR4/5
NT - if we are swapping to a 3-4 like has been said we can probably use a big body in the middle but not a major need we got a few good players for NT already.
CB - AJ, Dee Alford, and Clark Phillips are a great trio already.  Okudah and Hughes could be brought back but i can see another vet and CB added somewhere.
OT - I personally would upgrade Kaleb Mcgary but i see that more of next year bc of his cap hit.
C - Dalman is a fine Center if he can fix his god awful low snaps like 5 times a game.  His contract comes up next offseason but i wouldn't be against a upgrade.

Here is a scenario i sorta like depending on how FA and draft goes.

Scenario 1 -  We trade #8 + 3rd for #9 and Fields.   That puts Fields value as a late 2nd rounder which is fair to me.  If not then a base 2nd is acceptable considering what im hearing from most analysts.    That gives us a QB on the cheaper side for a year or 2 allowing us to go and get a elite edge rusher in FA like Hunter, allen, Burns. etc...    So now we have our #1 and #2 needs taken care of and still have the 8th pick in the draft where you can go either Nabers or Odunze at WR to pair with London.  or  Since we already run Pitts 70% or more at WR why not just slide him fully to WR and go Bowers at TE.     I prefer the 2 WR's over Bowers though and keeping Pitts at TE. 

Free Agency 
Hunter - Edge  - our biggest FA
Callaias Campbell - Edge/DT - was awesome for us and fontenot said he has a contract waiting.
Ridley or Gabe Davis - Vet WR with speed and route running
Steven Nelson - CB
Best SS with what we have left over  maybe a Dugger?

1st - Nabers/Odunze
2nd - Fields
3A - Bullard or Nubin
3B - Malachi Corley
4th - Mechi Wingo or Tommy Eichenberg

Rest would be depth and just finishing roster. 

Thats best somewhat realstic offseason i can come up with right now for us that both does things some people love and some ppl hate lol.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2024 at 11:11 AM, BowserBroncos said:

My initial plan was to do a 2nd round and Nix would be the pick there.

I don't think either Nix and Penix will be drafted in the 1st for different reasons. Maybe Nix with a good draft process (tho he missed an oportunity in the Senior Bowl)

Missing out on the top 4 QBs stinks, but getting Turner would be cool. 

I think the reality is that you need to trade up to get one of the top QBs this year. I'm hoping the Chargers do the Vikings a solid so we can get Harbaugh's former QB, while doing a disservice to their division rival. 

Mims is definitely one of the options for the Bengals at 18.  They've swung at upside at OT in round 1 before.  Before FA sorts some things out, any of OT, TE, IDL, CB, or even WR make sense for the Bengals in rd 1.  Wouldn't count out JPJ if they were high on him.

Edited by THE DUKE