Texans trade 23rd pick to Vikings for 42nd, 188th, and 2025 2nd

minutemancl

According to the Rich Hill Trade Value Chart via Draft Tek, the Vikings’ two first-rounders are worth 603 points combined. The No. 3 overall pick is 514 points, which the Vikings could easily match and then some with a trade package. 

However, the Jimmy Johnson Trade Value Chart model shows the Vikings would be just short of the No. 3 pick’s value (2200 points) with just their two first-round picks (2,010 points).

In either model, the Vikings are at least within striking distance of providing adequate value to a team in the top three; if that team were interested in trading back. That willingness, though, remains a significant hurdle to landing one of the top quarterback prospects in this class.

“The Vikings have a plan,” The Athletic’s Dianna Russini posted in reaction to the trade.

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/rapoport-motive-trade-texans-daniels-maye-mccarthy/?fbclid=IwAR2WoJ1O1NQt9kuL-BqIovx_aiS_TVFLhSPv1aNlpSDXsUAuKv-e2SIjfN0

28 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

According to the Rich Hill Trade Value Chart via Draft Tek, the Vikings’ two first-rounders are worth 603 points combined. The No. 3 overall pick is 514 points, which the Vikings could easily match and then some with a trade package. 

However, the Jimmy Johnson Trade Value Chart model shows the Vikings would be just short of the No. 3 pick’s value (2200 points) with just their two first-round picks (2,010 points).

In either model, the Vikings are at least within striking distance of providing adequate value to a team in the top three; if that team were interested in trading back. That willingness, though, remains a significant hurdle to landing one of the top quarterback prospects in this class.

“The Vikings have a plan,” The Athletic’s Dianna Russini posted in reaction to the trade.

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/rapoport-motive-trade-texans-daniels-maye-mccarthy/?fbclid=IwAR2WoJ1O1NQt9kuL-BqIovx_aiS_TVFLhSPv1aNlpSDXsUAuKv-e2SIjfN0

While nothing is set in stone, my hunch is that the Vikings already have a handshake deal with a relevant team but are waiting to see if a team higher/lower is willing to take less for the move up. Maybe waiting to see how the draft actually shakes out to target a spot. Worst case, they have a second first round pick without losing too much value for the aggression.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

While nothing is set in stone, my hunch is that the Vikings already have a handshake deal with a relevant team but are waiting to see if a team higher/lower is willing to take less for the move up. Maybe waiting to see how the draft actually shakes out to target a spot. Worst case, they have a second first round pick without losing too much value for the aggression.

ja!

our GM has stated that his QB plans have layers of contingencies, as most any GM would have. but yes, the Vikings have set themselves up for different dominoes to fall and reacting well to them. hopefully even encouraging certain ones to materialize.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The Chargers already have one of the best left tackles in the league with Rashawn Slater.  Why are you drafting another Left Tackle?  If they wanted to have a dominant OL they'd be better off trading 5 for 2 FRPs and drafting like Fuaga and Barton. I just don't see a Harbaugh offense valuing "elite WR" all that highly either.

But the problem is when you're looking at the tier of prospects, there's a gap somewhere in that 9/10 range.  You're going to see 4 QBs (McCarthy, Maye, Daniels,and Williams) go inside the top 10, 2 WRs (MHJ and Nabers), and probably at least 1 OT (Fashanu/Alt).  Let's see what the rest of the board shakes out as without trades except a LA Chargers/Minnesota trade.

1.) Chicago - QB Caleb Williams
2.) Washington - QB Jayden Daniels
3.) New England - QB JJ McCarthy
4.) Arizona - WR Marvin Harrison Jr.
5.) Minnesota (via LA Chargers) - QB Drake Maye
6.) NY Giants - WR Malik Nabers/LT Joe Alt/LT Olu Fashanu
7.) Tennessee - WR Malik Nabers/LT Joe Alt/LT Olu Fashanu
8.) Atlanta - EDGE Dallas Turner/EDGE Jared Verse/CB Quinyon Mitchell
9.) Chicago - WR Rome Odunze/EDGE Jared Verse/EDGE Dallas Turner
10.) New York Jets - OT Olu Fashanu/WR Rome Odunze/TE Brock Bowers

New York Giants seem poised to grab their top WR after MHJ assuming they don't trade up for a QB.  I think they might be interested in a OT.  If they don't go offense, it'll certainly either be CB or EDGE and I think they could be a surprise pick with Mitchell here.  Tennessee has massive needs at OT and WR, so it seems either Nabers or Alt/Fashanu will be the pick here.  I'd be surprised if it's anything but one of those two.  Atlanta after signing Kirk Cousins seems likely to be the first team to pluck a defensive player.  I'd imagine it's EDGE or CB here.  Chicago was in the market for a WR, but they traded for Keenan Allen but I wouldn't completely close the door on a WR.  It seems like they're leaning defense, so I'd anticipate an EDGE off the board here.  Jets are likely in a similar boat to Tennessee and likely looking at WR or OT depending on who is available.

So assuming the board falls the way I anticipate, I'd imagine that it's Williams, Daniels, McCarthy, MHJ, Maye, Nabers, Alt/Fashanu, Turner, Verse, and Odunze off the board which would leave Fashanu/Alt or Odunze available at 11.  The problem is history has shown that a top 5 pick traded away for another team worth a QB is worth more than just a single late FRP.  They'd be selling that pick for about 75% of it's actual worth on a good day.

23 hours ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

While nothing is set in stone, my hunch is that the Vikings already have a handshake deal with a relevant team but are waiting to see if a team higher/lower is willing to take less for the move up.

And to do it this early means it's almost certainly with the Cardinals. Each team in the top 3 looks set on getting a QB, and if the Vikings are set on one of those 4, the only way to make sure that happens is get the 4th pick.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, vike daddy said:

ja!

our GM has stated that his QB plans have layers of contingencies, as most any GM would have. but yes, the Vikings have set themselves up for different dominoes to fall and reacting well to them. hopefully even encouraging certain ones to materialize.

I wonder if Kirk Cousin's void years getting accelerated to this season didn't throw a small monkey wrench in the plans. If there was some player+picks for pick deal that needs to be tinkered with now or something.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Each team in the top 3 looks set on getting a QB....

i'm not sure that's the certainty you see it as, with NE.

they have lots of good options, including Harrison at 3 or trading for multiple picks for multiple needs. NE area sportswriters all say the same. 

some say the QB the Patriots want is Daniels, and if he is gone at #2, their strategies change.

who knows...?

Based on recent history, in no way could Minnesota just offer two 1st round picks and move up into the top 4.  They would have to offer more than just #11 and #23.

Panthers Got:
2023 1st overall

Bears Got:
2023 9th 1st round
2023 61st pick 2nd round
2024 1st overall 1st round
2025 2nd rounder
DJ Moore a starting WR legit #1 or #2 option

Houston Got:
2023 3rd overall 1st round
2023 105th pick 4th round

Arizona Got:
2023 12th pick 1st round
2023 33rd pick 2nd round
2024 27th pick 1st round
2024 90th pick 3rd round

Denver Got:
Russell Wilson
2022 116th pick 4th round

Seattle Got:
Drew Lock
Shelby Harriz
Noah Fant
2022 9th overall 1st round 
2022 40th overall 2nd round 
2022 145th pick 5th round 
2023 5th overall 1st round 
2023 37th overall 2nd round 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Maybe Minnesota's not trading up for a QB. Maybe they really like Penix and Nix and just wanted a 2nd 1st in order to grab one of them.

it's a possible scenario, but it's not as likely as they're going all in toward the top.

who knows, we'll see...

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

New York Giants seem poised to grab their top WR after MHJ assuming they don't trade up for a QB.  I think they might be interested in a OT.  If they don't go offense, it'll certainly either be CB or EDGE and I think they could be a surprise pick with Mitchell here.

It’s definitely QB or WR for Giants, unless they trade back. They have spent the most draft resources on OL by far and they need a RT not a LT. They just traded for Brian Burns, have Kayvon and drafted Deonte Banks last year. CB/Edge are not getting drafted @ #6 by them.