New rules proposed by NFL & competition committee; Hip-drop tackles officially banned

RaidersAreOne

You are going to have to train yourself to never pull back.  Only push or hit and run through.

Going to result in some extra yards.  A lot of guys do this by instinct.  3 and 12 get hit with this penalty and its like a turnover.

Teams would be smart to work on tackling a lot in offseason. Could be difference in a W or L. 

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

You are going to have to train yourself to never pull back.  Only push or hit and run through.

Going to result in some extra yards.  A lot of guys do this by instinct.  3 and 12 get hit with this penalty and its like a turnover.

Teams would be smart to work on tackling a lot in offseason. Could be difference in a W or L. 

Teams are prohibited from working on tackling in the offseason. Lol

• Like 4

If I'm a DC, I tell my guys it's business as usual. I can live with an egregious penalty costing my team the game. What I can't live with is a guy approaching a ballcarrier and having to think about where he's allowed to hit him and then missing/not making contact. The NFL isn't any safer for the hip drop being banned. It's just going to create more flags.

There is no safe tackling circuit you can even create to teach players how to not do the hip drop. It's not even like teams were teaching the hip drop in practice. It's a natural movement involving momentum and physics. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SotanKing said:

I think this is a good change...not making it subjective should make the implementation lot more easier

Hip drop is not one of them. Not is dpi or subjective RTP. This will impact very few defensive penalties I think 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Yeah, I'm sure the officials will have no problems differentiating 😂

Yeah I’ve got no faith that it will be interpreted correctly, but I do have some sympathy with wanting to do something about a form of tackle that didn’t really exist five years ago and obviously causes injury. 

• Like 1

Can the league find a happy medium between Mike Webster pulling his own teeth out with pliers and not being allowed to legally tackle a quarterback at all or any ball carrier in space when it comes to violence?

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

Hip drop is not one of them. Not is dpi or subjective RTP. This will impact very few defensive penalties I think 

as mentioned in the tweet, it will mostly impact bad RTP, Intentional grounding calls

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

I’m aware, we did/have done that drill since 2014, but the point remains there’s only one way to correctly replicate tackling live in space, and it’s repetition in pads, live, full speed. And you can’t do that anymore.