What should the Raiders do at QB?

RaidersAreOne

What should the Raiders do at QB?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Raiders do at QB this draft?

• Trade the farm and move up for one of Caleb/Maye/Daniels
    • Stay at #13, and likely "reach" for one in Nix, Penix, etc
    • Draft one in rounds 2-3 and have him battle O'Connell and Minshew
    • Draft one late, see if he can become something down the road and roll with O'Connell or Minshew
  2. 2. Who will start week 1 for the Raiders?

• Aidan O'Connell
    • Gardner Minshew
    • Rookie

The Raiders roster is an interesting one.

They have very good receiving options in Adams/Meyers/Tucker/Mayer, a potential future star at RB in Zamir White and an OL 1-2 pieces away from being very good. They also quietly had the best D in the NFL after Antonio Pierce took over, who just added a top tier DT in Wilkins (Arguably our biggest need for decades). They definitely need a few more players on D but overall it should be a top 10 unit. They also have the best ST unit in the league in Cole and Carlson. 

However the glaring question mark is at QB. We finally got out of QB purgatory moving on from Carr just to completely blow it with the Jimmy G signing (Thanks McDaniels). They signed a capable QB2 and low-end QB1 in Minshew to big-ish money this FA. They also moved up in the 4th round last year and drafted Aidan O'Connell.

All things considered, O'Connell did ok. He had very limited reps in camp, eventually lost his HC, lost his OC, had a rookie play caller step in and in 11 games put up:

• 62.1 comp %
  • 2,218 yards
  • 12 TD
  • 7 picks

His first action vs. the Chargers was a disaster. McDaniels by all accounts from our beat writers "sabotaged" him with his play-calling and refusing to do do anything to help the QB, taking 7 sacks and fumbling twice. His performances were very up and down leading up to Christmas, where the Raiders beat the Chiefs and AOC only put up 62 yards passing and 0 TDs. However he closed the season out with 299 yards, 2 TD and 0 picks vs the Colts and 244 yards, 2 TD and 0 picks vs the Broncos. 

Do you believe AOC can become a viable QB option? He may have more untapped potential whereas we know what Minshew is. Or should Minshew start as he gives the Raiders the best chance to win now? Or are neither option simply worth burning a season of Adams and co. and a rookie should be thrust into action?

3 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

The Raiders roster is an interesting one.

They have very good receiving options in Adams/Meyers/Tucker/Mayer, a potential future star at RB in Zamir White and an OL 1-2 pieces away from being very good. They also quietly had the best D in the NFL after Antonio Pierce took over, who just added a top tier DT in Wilkins (Arguably our biggest need for decades). They definitely need a few more players on D but overall it should be a top 10 unit. They also have the best ST unit in the league in Cole and Carlson. 

However the glaring question mark is at QB. We finally got out of QB purgatory moving on from Carr just to completely blow it with the Jimmy G signing (Thanks McDaniels).

Jimmy G. was an odd choice last year.  

I think if you chose a different OC Fields was the best choice.

I wanted Fields gone, especially with Caleb available, but for everyone to take all these guys over him was wrong as well.

He is not as good as a lot of Bears fans think, but he is way better than fans and what league apparently thinks of him.

To take Minshew, Darnold, Brissett, Lock over him is not right.   That was an over reaction.  He is a starting caliber QB and he still has upside potential.  

But a marriage of Getsy and Fields wasn't going to work in LV anymore than it did in Chicago.  Too much under the bridge there I suspect even though neither will say it publicly.

I don't see any easy path out of QB purgatory.

Teams can still win a lot of games loading up around avg. cheaper QBs though.  

It just seems to be a lot easier to build a team when a top 5 guy is back there. 

• Like 1

I'm guessing they go RT or CB at 13 and then decide if its worth to trade back into late round one for  Nix or Penix if they fall into the 20 range. Just my opinion but I think Penix would be a great fit for the Raiders especially if they land say Fuaga at 13 that gives Penix two really good OTs to along with some pretty good WRs.

I actually think our roster outside the QB position isn’t as good as some Raiders fans are making it out to be.

This isn’t some elite squad being held back by not having a QB. If it was, we could probably get away with a mediocre QB like Minshew, but that’s not the case. The Raiders right now are probably middle of the road in terms of overall roster talent, which will be majorly held back by QB play.

Which is a roundabout way of answering the question in the original post by saying that they need to move up for a top QB prospect. The alternatives will just result in another wasted season.

32 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I actually think our roster outside the QB position isn’t as good as some Raiders fans are making it out to be.

This isn’t some elite squad being held back by not having a QB. If it was, we could probably get away with a mediocre QB like Minshew, but that’s not the case. The Raiders right now are probably middle of the road in terms of overall roster talent, which will be majorly held back by QB play.

Which is a roundabout way of answering the question in the original post by saying that they need to move up for a top QB prospect. The alternatives will just result in another wasted season.

Would you leverage 3 drafts to move up to 2-4 for a top QB prospect? I imagine that is what it would take. Would that new rookie QB be able to propel our middle of the road roster if not initially, in a season or two when Adams is another year old + we have no high picks to fill the cupboards?

I am not down talking this idea fwiw, I have been one of the drivers of trading up in our forum. But I think the price is simply going to be too much and QBs go 1/2/3 (With the teams not looking to move) and JJ is not worth a top 5 pick imo.

49 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Would you leverage 3 drafts to move up to 2-4 for a top QB prospect? I imagine that is what it would take. Would that new rookie QB be able to propel our middle of the road roster if not initially, in a season or two when Adams is another year old + we have no high picks to fill the cupboards?

I am not down talking this idea fwiw, I have been one of the drivers of trading up in our forum. But I think the price is simply going to be too much and QBs go 1/2/3 (With the teams not looking to move) and JJ is not worth a top 5 pick imo.

If the Raiders are trying to win now, and it very much appears that they are, then yes.

Otherwise we’ll still be sitting here in QB purgatory in 2026 asking the same kind of questions.

I get others will disagree because it’s a lot to give up to move up for a prospect (and that’s all these guys are at this point) - but I don’t see an alternative that doesn’t see us stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Edited by Nightmare
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

If the Raiders are trying to win now, and it very much appears that they are, then yes.

Otherwise we’ll still be sitting here in QB purgatory in 2026 asking the same kind of questions.

I get others will disagree because it’s a lot to give up to move up for a prospect (and that’s all these guys are at this point) - but I don’t see an alternative that doesn’t see us stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Maybe you guys will try for Dak next year.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

hopefully JJ goes top 3 then they have a window to trade up to #4 to go get Maye / Jayden.... if not, hope they land a steal with that Tulane kid.. maybe throw a late round pick at Zach Wilson/Trey Lance

No chance they could outbid Minnesota for #4, so where McCarthy goes is moot. 

Only shot I see is if NE trades down with Minnesota, leaving #4 open. And even then, it's a pipe dream. 

Davis listens to Pierce so I'd bet they want Daniels if he makes it past pick 2. Trading the farm might mean including Crosby in a trade along with this year and next years firsts. 

Raiders are in better position than Broncos but I wouldn't take either Penix or Nix at 13. I don't see either as an upgrade from Minshew. If Raiders don't trade up, just keep building out the rest of the roster.