2024 Last Chance Mock - Discussion

dcat

Welcome to the 2024 Last Chance Mock.  The 3-hour clock will begin at 3:00 pm EDT on April 1, 2024. 

This is the Discussion thread.  Place your selections in the Selections thread.

Here is the spreadsheet we will be using to track: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1g9ACNZsBLHmMaD--rogjvqzhtH-ZN5rYz1TJm6EHS44/edit?usp=sharing (viewing only). You can also find the link in my signature here.

Here is your 2024 GM list:

AFC East
Bills - @JetsandI
Dolphins - @mountainpd
Patriots - @Eastern_Shore_Fan
Jets - @dcat

AFC North
Bengals - @downundermike
Ravens - @DTMW78
Steelers - @Cbrunn
Browns - @elfman1955

AFC South
Jaguars - @Daniel
Titans - @Daniel
Colts - @RTTRUTH
Texans - @jch1911

AFC West
Chiefs - @Forge
Chargers - @MikeT14
Raiders - @FinneasGage
Broncos -  @Scoundrel

NFC East
Eagles - @EaglesPeteC
Cowboys - @MaddHatter
Giants - @Wpob
Commanders - @MikeT14

NFC North
Vikings - @vike daddy
Lions - @JetsandI
Packers - @beekay414
Bears - @Madmike90

NFC South
Buccaneers - @dcat
Panthers - @Packerraymond
Saints -  @Packerraymond
Falcons - @ovfd55

NFC West
49ers - @Forge
Seahawks - @RTTRUTH
Rams - @downundermike
Cardinals - @ovfd55

Edited by dcat
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Guidelines and rules:

• trading of 2024 picks is allowed
  • DM other GMs for trade negotiations.  
  • Please conform the values of your trades to something that is at least reasonably close to either the Jimmy Johnson traditional value chart or the Rich Hill value chart. JJ values will be in the spreadsheet for your convenience.
  • no trading between teams with the same GM
  • no trading of future year picks (obvious reasons).
  • no trading of current NFL players (therefore no salary cap/contractual issues for this draft, i.e. you can't trade for Brandon Aiyuk)
  • 3 hour clock for the first three rounds; 2 hours for the remaining rounds.
  • Instead of assigned time slots, we run a live clock.  Clock will run from 10:00 am EDT to 11:59 pm and then will pause and resume the next morning at the daily start time.  For example: if you go OTC at 10:00 pm, the clock pause at midnight and resumes at 10:00 am. You would have 1 hour remaining to place your pick.  (We can begin earlier, at 9 am EDT, but only if it's confirmed by any west coast GMs)
  • missed picks will be skipped temporarily, but will be filled in via consensus or a replacement GM if the original GM remains AWOL.
  •  DM a list of players in advance to me if you know you won't be able to make your pick when you go OTC.  I will place the pick for you so that we don't needlessly stall.
  • Remember to tag the next 2 GMs up  (i.e. @dcat)
  • use 2024 Last Chance Mock - Selection Thread for picks and verified trades.
  • use 2024 Last Chance Mock - Discussion Thread for all the commentary and desire to trade up or down and DM other GMs for trade negotiations.  
  • Caveat: spreadsheet has rankings by position and consensus from several popular (and unpopular) sources from before, during or just after the combine. Use at your own discretion and take them for what they are worth.  Spreadsheet has ~500 players.  Others can/will be added, as needed.  Editing privileges to anyone willing to help manage the spreadsheet during the mock. No special skills are needed.  Basically looking for a co-manager for when I'm not around especially. It's a lot for one person.   
Edited by dcat

Posted (edited)

In case you missed it. Editing privileges to anyone willing to help manage the spreadsheet during the mock. No special skills are needed.  Basically looking for a co-manager for when I'm not around especially. It's a lot for one person.   

793da4cf2b556ef29026caff0ba72516.gif

Edited by dcat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mountainpd said:

So I can’t trade future picks of current players? How am I supposed to move up in draft or gain more picks I was going for pick 1

I have the same question...

1 hour ago, mountainpd said:

So I can’t trade future picks of current players? How am I supposed to move up in draft or gain more picks I was going for pick 1

with current picks.  If you don't have the draft capital, then you don't.  

Posted (edited)

@mountainpd @jch1911  and everyone: here are a few examples from another mock using these rules. (the far right column are Rich Hill values and the other is JJ value)

Trade 2 4 Ari Chi 1800 491
  9, 75, 100 Chi Ari 1665 485
Trade 3 7 Ten Atl 1500 426
  8, 109 Atl Ten 1476 436

Picks from to JJ value RH Value
Trade 36 Bears Rams 540 166
  52, 83 Rams Bears 555 161
Trade 54 Cle Ari 360 104
  66, 104 Ari Cle 346 109
Trade 67, 167 Min LV 279.6 84.6
  77, 112, 223 LV Min 277.6 91.3
Trade 82, 191 Ind Bal 195 60.4
  93, 113 Bal Ind 196 69

Edited by dcat

19 minutes ago, dcat said:

@mountainpd @jch1911  and everyone: here are a few examples from another mock using these rules. (the far right column are Rich Hill values and the other is JJ value)

Trade 2 4 Ari Chi 1800 491
  9, 75, 100 Chi Ari 1665 485
Trade 3 7 Ten Atl 1500 426
  8, 109 Atl Ten 1476 436

Picks from to JJ value RH Value
Trade 36 Bears Rams 540 166
  52, 83 Rams Bears 555 161
Trade 54 Cle Ari 360 104
  66, 104 Ari Cle 346 109
Trade 67, 167 Min LV 279.6 84.6
  77, 112, 223 LV Min 277.6 91.3
Trade 82, 191 Ind Bal 195 60.4
  93, 113 Bal Ind 196 69

I understand about using draft capital to move up and down the board.

In most mocks that I have been a part of:

(1) You can use current players (not recent signings or TRULY unrealistic trades) to also move up and down the board

(2) Many mocks let you use picks from the next season's draft as well (e.g. 2025)

You said those are not allowed in this mock.

That's fine.  Just different.

Happy mocking and may the odds be forever in your favor!

Also I can help edit the board if you need.  I just helped @MikeT14 along with @EaglesPeteC in a mock and I think I got the hang of it.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jch1911 said:

I understand about using draft capital to move up and down the board.

In most mocks that I have been a part of:

(1) You can use current players (not recent signings or TRULY unrealistic trades) to also move up and down the board

(2) Many mocks let you use picks from the next season's draft as well (e.g. 2025)

You said those are not allowed in this mock.

That's fine.  Just different.

Happy mocking and may the odds be forever in your favor!

Also I can help edit the board if you need.  I just helped @MikeT14 along with @EaglesPeteC in a mock and I think I got the hang of it.

Hi jch, 

Yeah I like watching the other all-in style mock drafts that take place on this forum.  Most of you guys are very reasonable in making trades that fit the salary cap limits and not of players who would create a gazllion dollars in dead cap etc.  That's a whole other stratosphere that I neither have the time nor desire to undertake.  In this sense, yes, this mock is limited. 

But let me say this from years of observation of the mocks in this forum...  in some of those all-in style mocks, during the draft portion itself, you see way too many current players being shipped out or in.  In the NFL, at most you get a very small handful, sometimes none,  current player trades during the actual draft, and when there are they are most often not star players.  Yet, on some of these mocks in this forum GMs have flipped current players like there is no tomorrow. Extremely unrealistic IMO.  Also, although the free agency period is a blast watching you guys in those, when it comes to the mock draft portion, picks are contingent on those fictitious free agent movements and the subsequent mock draft itself is totally different based on the wrong team needs (compared to reality).  That makes those all-in mocks here even more unrealistic, which is another reason why I prefer this format.  I want to examine the current real team needs for the mock rather than the altered team needs after the pretend free-agency period.  I just enjoy the mock more that way personally. 

Anyhow, thanks for giving this a go.  I think you were GM in one these Last Chance mocks before.  I've done  3 of them here  through the years, so maybe. I'll send you a message re: assisting w/spreadsheet while I'm off line.  It will speed things up here for sure.

Edited by dcat

I wasn't planning on a separate trade announcement thread.  Too many threads.   Usually, GMs use the Discussion thread when looking to trade up or down.  Specific offers/negotiations best done by PM. OK to use selection thread to announce a confirmed trade.  Remember to send me a PM with the trade details for the spread sheet.

• Like 1