2018 Packer DEFENSE Discussion

squire12

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

House is not CB2 material, plain and simple. That's even assuming he could stay healthy for 15-16 games, which he apparently can't. This team needs another outside corner to join King with Randall inside. I'd still be i favor to bring back House because I'm a vet guy, but not to start. Need to upgrade.

There's no reason to bring House back if you don't expect him to fight for one of the 3 starting spots. He doesn't play on any specials.. just give him a coaching job if you don't see him starting.

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

There's no reason to bring House back if you don't expect him to fight for one of the 3 starting spots. He doesn't play on any specials.. just give him a coaching job if you don't see him starting.

Depends entirely on contract on hand. I'd much rather have House playing ball than Josh Hawkins, on contracts near in value, if King or "CB TO BE NAMED LATER" go down with an injury

18 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

You guys think Rollins will turn into anything still?

Not really.  But I wouldn't cut him.  They have him for one more season at $1.1 million.  Unless they draft one high, sign a vet, and really like an UDFA or in-house former UDFAs, they probably keep Rollins for the season.

2 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

Not really.  But I wouldn't cut him.  They have him for one more season at $1.1 million.  Unless they draft one high, sign a vet, and really like an UDFA or in-house former UDFAs, they probably keep Rollins for the season.

4 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

No, I think he was speed challenged to begin with and now be will be coming off a torn achilles.  Probably will never be anything special. 

I think he can be a decent 4th corner, not gonna start him by any means. I think I like him over Hawkins.

19 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Depends entirely on contract on hand. I'd much rather have House playing ball than Josh Hawkins, on contracts near in value, if King or "CB TO BE NAMED LATER" go down with an injury

Would House be down with being demoted? Idk that's a pretty tough sell especially if he's coming at a reduced price.

1 minute ago, HighCalebR said:

Would House be down with being demoted? Idk that's a pretty tough sell especially if he's coming at a reduced price.

I'm not sure how many homes House is going to find himself a starter in. At least here he's got a good chance of splitting reps especially early in the season. He's familiar with the city and his teammates. 

He didn't have a great market as of last year, he's going to be another year older and a bit more injured after this season. If you can get him back on the same contract, that's a nice get. 

11 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'm not sure how many homes House is going to find himself a starter in. At least here he's got a good chance of splitting reps especially early in the season. He's familiar with the city and his teammates. 

He didn't have a great market as of last year, he's going to be another year older and a bit more injured after this season. If you can get him back on the same contract, that's a nice get. 

Very much agree.  Just can't see House having a very big market after injuries and mediocre play.  I like House as a relatively cheap veteran CB, but would be willing to find a better option depending on the salary needed to acquire said player.

1 hour ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

He might have problems competing for a job this year.

I think some guys are too tough on CB's. House has value if used correctly. Throughout his career he has proven to be very successful against certain matchups. He looks like a #1 or #2 talent against some guys and a #4 against others. Is that really all that different than any other position? It's not really all that complicated. We have a million packages, it shouldn't be that hard to use a guy like House. Not to mention, getting a guy one step up from House doubles the cost.

To take it one step further, I thought Gunter was a poor mans House. Why cut him on a rookie deal ?

4 hours ago, packfanfb said:

House is not CB2 material, plain and simple. That's even assuming he could stay healthy for 15-16 games, which he apparently can't. This team needs another outside corner to join King with Randall inside. I'd still be i favor to bring back House because I'm a vet guy, but not to start. Need to upgrade.

House is better than King at this point and I would rather have House covering #1WRs unless King makes a big jump in training camp. House is also going to thrive in Pettine's defense. King still has a lot to learn and didnt get that much playing time. I could easily see a sophmore slump.

5 hours ago, Kenrik said:

House is better than King at this point and I would rather have House covering #1WRs unless King makes a big jump in training camp. House is also going to thrive in Pettine's defense. King still has a lot to learn and didnt get that much playing time. I could easily see a sophmore slump.

I think King will be fine, he had a bum arm IIRC all year until he went to IR. Had to of stunted his game. 

I thought King showed some pretty tremendous skills and instincts in his limited time on the field.  Give him a good arm/shoulder to go along with a full training camp of teachable moments and I think he will be very, very good.

House can play on my team at his same contract.  Any day.  Great value there.  Would you rather be better than him?  Absolutely, but the fact is, there aren't many guys in free agency better than House and he's a known player here.  Get him under contract to be one of the three starters and hope that a younger player pushes for his playing time.

Archived