What is a gut feeling you have that nobody else sees coming?

mdonnelly21

Just now, Danger said:

Why would the Bears pass on Rome? If the Jags want Rome they're coming up to 8.

Several reasons :

1. They really need someone else in the DL

2. They already have DJ Moore and Keenan Allen. Spending a top 10 pick on Rome is great, but is it that much better than giving those two 10 touches more each + whoever you can grab in the 2nd or 3rd at WR3? 

3. They have very little picks aside from their top two. Trading down means you can get Verse or Murphy or Latu and grab the WR of your choice in the 2nd. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

Several reasons :

2. They already have DJ Moore and Keenan Allen. Spending a top 10 pick on Rome is great, but is it that much better than giving those two 10 touches more each + whoever you can grab in the 2nd or 3rd at WR3? 

3. They have very little picks aside from their top two. Trading down means you can get Verse or Murphy or Latu and grab the WR of your choice in the 2nd. 

You're finally getting a legit QB, don't worry about the DL right now, it's good enough figure it out later. For now you surround your young QB with as much Elite talent on offense as you can. i.e. Rome

DJ Moore is cool, mostly a #2 IMO. Keenan Allen is there for a year and then he's gone, and at this age, he's alright, but nothing special. Rome will be better than Keenan by year 2. None of the players you're trading down for is going to be as good as Rome, and this is the time to go all in on offense for Chicago.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

Several reasons :

4. Their HC is a defensive guy and might just favor defensive players over WRs.

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

You're finally getting a legit QB, don't worry about the DL right now, it's good enough figure it out later. For now you surround your young QB with as much Elite talent on offense as you can. i.e. Rome

DJ Moore is cool, mostly a #2 IMO. Keenan Allen is there for a year and then he's gone, and at this age, he's alright, but nothing special. Rome will be better than Keenan by year 2. None of the players you're trading down for is going to be as good as Rome, and this is the time to go all in on offense for Chicago.

I cannot stress enough how much I disagree with your DJ Moore statement. 

Aside from that, an argument can be had for sure. But for a team whose staff is on year 3, I would actually more tempted to grab a top defensive player mid 1st and figure out WR with a 2nd round pick or next year first. Because if you go 7-9 or 8-8 again, are you 100% safe? 

I may be wrong, maybe it was a different timetable and that's that, but I think if they planned on drafting a WR in the top 10, they wouldn't have committed 20+mil on Keenan Allen, even for one year. 

7 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

I cannot stress enough how much I disagree with your DJ Moore statement. 

Aside from that, an argument can be had for sure. But for a team whose staff is on year 3, I would actually more tempted to grab a top defensive player mid 1st and figure out WR with a 2nd round pick or next year first. Because if you go 7-9 or 8-8 again, are you 100% safe? 

I may be wrong, maybe it was a different timetable and that's that, but I think if they planned on drafting a WR in the top 10, they wouldn't have committed 20+mil on Keenan Allen, even for one year. 

Again. Keenan Allen is there for one year and is an old man. If you're passing on Rome for THAT, I question what you're doing as a franchise. But it is the Bears so maybe they'll be fools. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Danger said:

DJ Moore is number 2?? Lmao dudes a legit one you take that slander back sir!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Exactly.  The man put up over 1 k yards with Justin Fields, Sam Darnold and Teddy Bridgewater as his QB's.  

I think the Bears will trade back from 9 personally and acquire more picks since they only have 4 picks total as it stands.  They can still get a WR and pass rusher.  They dont necessarily "need" a WR like Nabers or Rome. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, paul-mac said:

My bold prediction is at least 4 of these 7 guys go in round 1

Ricky Pearsall

Patrick Paul

Zach Frazier

T’Vondre Sweat

Marshawn Kneeland

Edgerrin Cooper

Mike Sainristil

Just seen a tweet about Paul could go earlier than expected.  It wouldnt shock me if he ends up late first round/early 2nd round. As a UH fan that has seen every single game he has played, he has tools to work with. Run blocking needs work but his pass blocking is pretty good. 

As a Texans fan I hope Cooper somehow falls to us at 42. I am preparing to be disappointed. 

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

He's a number 1 in name only IMO. He's Chicago's #1, but he's definitely not up there with the likes of Justin Jefferson, Tyreek Hill, CeeDee Lamb, AJ Brown, JaMarr Chase, Amon Ra St. Brown. 

He can make a case for the next tier that's pretty close.

Amari Cooper, Tee Higgins, Brandon Aiyuk, Devonta Smith, Puka Nacua, Davante Adams (barring a resurgence), Garret Wilson. 

But that's all beside the point. If you really want to succeed as an organization, you're going to put your QB in every possible situation to succeed. Worry about the defense with subsequent picks or next year.

58 minutes ago, Danger said:

He's a number 1 in name only IMO. He's Chicago's #1, but he's definitely not up there with the likes of Justin Jefferson, Tyreek Hill, CeeDee Lamb, AJ Brown, JaMarr Chase, Amon Ra St. Brown. 

Amari Cooper, Tee Higgins, Brandon Aiyuk, Devonta Smith, Puka Nacua, Davante Adams (barring a resurgence), Garret Wilson. 

But that's all beside the point. If you really want to succeed as an organization, you're going to put your QB in every possible situation to succeed. Worry about the defense with subsequent picks or next year.

I'd argue for DJ Moore being in the same tier than a St. Brown but, even if not, saying he's not a top 6 WR is a very different conversation than being a #2 WR in a NFL offense ... 

Also, there are various ways to put your QB in a position to succeed. Surrounding him with talent is certainly one - and to be clear I don't think going Rome would be a terrible idea by any means. But having a good defense to not over pressure him and have him play hero ball every possession is another one. 

2 hours ago, Danger said:

So he’s a top 15 WR? Sorry man that’s a number one. Yeah he’s not Tyreek or JJ, but he’s a number one receiver for more than half the teams in the league bare minimum  by your own admission 

Like I agree that you surround CW with weapons, but to say DJ Moore is just a number two WR is just a weird thing to say when you think he’s a top 15 WR lol

• Like 2

Most QB’s would be thrilled to have 2 top 15 WR’s to throw to. Caleb Williams will set up as good if not better than any 1st overall QB that I can recall in terms of WR and even TE/RB talent to work with as a rookie. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

Most QB’s would be thrilled to have 2 top 15 WR’s to throw to. Caleb Williams will set up as good if not better than any 1st overall QB that I can recall in terms of WR and even TE/RB talent to work with as a rookie. 

But what if those top 15 WRs are only number two guys? How could Caleb Williams survive with that? He needs moar!

• Like 3