1.10 - JJ McCarthy, QB, Michigan - #9

3 hours ago, vike daddy said:

McCarthy: "It's had a lot of value because they have specific footwork that they want all the quarterbacks to do. Just being introduced it to that early on has been huge because right from the get-go, once they drafted me, that's the footwork I started doing."

Not every QB is going to remember specific footwork from a pre-draft interview, and have the foresight to start practicing it before reporting to minicamp. Impressive. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

Not every QB is going to remember specific footwork from a pre-draft interview, and have the foresight to start practicing it before reporting to minicamp. Impressive. 

yes, and several would probably be shopping for their new Lamborghini instead.

Just got an opportunity to listen to JJ’s  Friday after-practice presser. I came away thoroughly impressed. Very centered, self-aware young man. Looking forward to watch him develop as our QBOTF. And this may happen sooner than we think. If he’s truly ready, let him play. 

• Like 3

Matt Bowen, ESPN: "Why he fits: In Kevin O’Connell’s system, McCarthy will be set up to throw with consistent rhythm on defined concepts, especially to the middle of the field. He completed 75.3% of his passes on throws inside the numbers last season at Michigan, including 15 touchdowns and three interceptions. McCarthy can heat up his pass velocity to drive the ball, attacking tight windows off layered reads — especially with play-action elements rolled in. No NFL team used play-action more than the Vikings in 2023 (30.6% of drop backs). As a passer, McCarthy can target all three levels of the field — short, medium and deep — and he can create outside of structure when necessary. But it’s the core passing/play-action concepts in O’Connell’s offense that really make this fit work."

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2024/5/11/24154236/j-j-mccarthy-labeled-perfect-minnesota-vikings-espn

In 2011, legendary coach Mike Shanahan invited John Beck into his office. The quarterback had been in the NFL for four years and was with Shanahan in Washington then. Shanahan’s offense fascinated Beck, so the quarterback asked questions. Somehow, the conversation drifted into a discussion about quarterback athleticism.

“I don’t need the most athletic guy,” Shanahan told him. “I just need an athletic guy.”

By then, Beck understood the core philosophies of Shanahan’s offense: stretch the defense laterally, then run vertically; or fake like you’re stretching the defense laterally and running vertically, but instead place precise passes over defenders’ heads. Beck figured out why Shanahan preferred his quarterback to have enough athleticism: The more fluidity the QB played with on the move, the more space he could create for passes at the second level.

A decade later, in 2021, following a few training sessions in Ann Arbor, Mich., with an incoming freshman quarterback named J.J. McCarthy, Beck believed his model had come to life.

“The very same things that made Mike Shanahan like Jay Cutler and take him as a first-rounder are going to be some of the things people in this tree will see when he comes out of college,” Beck said.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5483239/2024/05/13/jj-mccarthy-vikings-john-beck/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

I didn't realize McCarthy had small hands. Roughly 9 inches.

Yep, that is something everyone gets concerned about with NFL players who handke the ball.  Two hands on the ball helps solve that.  Larger handed guys can spin it a bit easier, but McCarthy's developed his game and has the arm any QB needs.  I think if you're playing in Buffalo, Pittsburg, Chicago or Seattle, 10" mitts may be vital.  Indoors?   It probably still matters, but slightly less.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

QBs that measured with 9 inch hands

Joe Burrow

Jared 170m gtd Goff

Ryan Tannehill

if you add just another 1/8 of an inch

Derek Carr

Colin Kaepernick

Drake Maye

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

For reference, Drake Maye has 9 1/8 hands. And even more interesting, Joe Burrow has 9” hands. He seems to do ok. 

• Like 2

The whole hand size discussion is always ridiculous. And is just one of the many things during draft season that gets looked at under a microscope that really shouldn’t. 

If something hasn’t been a problem for a guy at this point, there’s no reason to be concerned about it going forward. 

• Like 6

The top QBs in terms of most fumbles:

Dobbs  14 fumbles 9 1/4" hands

Tua       13 fumbles 10" hands

Lawrence 12 fumbles 10" hands

Ridder   12 fumbles 10" hands

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

The whole hand size discussion is always ridiculous. And is just one of the many things during draft season that gets looked at under a microscope that really shouldn’t. 

If something hasn’t been a problem for a guy at this point, there’s no reason to be concerned about it going forward. 

i agree. i guy could have bigger hands but more problematic cuticles.

so there's that too.