1.25 - Jordan Morgan [OT; Arizona]

19 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

The Packers don't take guards in the first round.  They are hoping he's their LT or RT of the future.  It's possible they go with a best five guys approach and he winds up at RG this year, but I think the hope is that eventually he locks down one of those tackle spots long term. 

I disagree with your first sentence after about pick 20 in round one. Before that I tend to agree.

Also agree that they would like him to become LT of the future because to do that he has to beat out Walker, who played pretty well at the tail end of last season and will not be sliding down into backup territory without a stiff fight. However, Morgan might still end up at guard if Walker beats him out.

A lot of talk about short arms.  OK fine but he has a pretty decent wingspan.  81 3/8".  Also great athleticism.  He's a OT all day long.  However as others have pointed out he may be plugged in at RG this season.   Best 5 and he should be one of them.  We'll see.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I disagree with your first sentence after about pick 20 in round one. Before that I tend to agree.

Also agree that they would like him to become LT of the future because to do that he has to beat out Walker, who played pretty well at the tail end of last season and will not be sliding down into backup territory without a stiff fight. However, Morgan might still end up at guard if Walker beats him out.

They say they will go with the best 5. Preseason will determine if that means LT Walker with RG Morgan, or LT Morgan with RG Rhyan. I don't see Walker as a G.  Honestly if Rhyan improves enough to start, I could see Walker and Morgan alternating series at LT, like Rhyan and Runyan last year at RG. But what do I know? 

At the very least Gute created some nice competition on the O-line which they needed. Trente Jones and Donovan Jenning will give Newman some push. Even Myers has Monk pushing him at C. All around a much improved situation. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

They say they will go with the best 5. Preseason will determine if that means LT Walker with RG Morgan, or LT Morgan with RG Rhyan. I don't see Walker as a G.  Honestly if Rhyan improves enough to start, I could see Walker and Morgan alternating series at LT, like Rhyan and Runyan last year at RG. But what do I know? 

At the very least Gute created some nice competition on the O-line which they needed. Trente Jones and Donovan Jenning will give Newman some push. Even Myers has Monk pushing him at C. All around a much improved situation. 

I mean, it's very possible that Walker/Morgan are our starting OTs to start the year.  I think the Packers view Tom as being capable of playing RG at a very high level even if it's only for a year.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, it's very possible that Walker/Morgan are our starting OTs to start the year.  I think the Packers view Tom as being capable of playing RG at a very high level even if it's only for a year.

Are you thinking Walker moves to RT? 

The Packers run a zone blocking scheme, right? That doesn't require a road-grader at G, right? I don't see Tom as a road-grader type.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Firstly, yes you do draft an IOL in round one if the value is there, once you get past about pick 20 or so. Barton went at 26 and I don't consider that a bad pick at all............and nor did many others on this board, who wanted him at 25.

There is never enough value to take a Guard in the first unless a top 10 pick falls outside the top 25. The value of everything outside of WR, RB, FB, K, P, LS vastly outweighs any G in the first round.

Edited by HyponGrey

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If we intentionally drafted a Guard with non elite drive skills in the top 25, I'm going to need a couple of you to judge the form on my swan dive off of a tall building. 

It's the Internet, my dude. We don't judge the journey on these sorts of things... just the arrival.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If we intentionally drafted a Guard with non elite drive skills in the top 25, I'm going to need a couple of you to judge the form on my swan dive off of a tall building. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, HyponGrey said:

There is never enough value to take a Guard in the first unless a top 10 pick falls outside the top 25. The value of everything outside of WR, RB, FB, K, P, LS vastly outweighs any G in the first round.

What we are really talking about here is where that point is, when an IOL is the best option.
It is not unusual for the first IOL off the board to be taken with a later round one pick. It has happened enough times in this draft and in past ones, to confirm this is also how GMs think of it. It is not only GMs that think that way, either, as Barton was probably the second most popular pick by people on this board, after DeJean.

What you must take into account is that when you are drafting where the Packers are, is the choice is not between the best tackle at 25, but (in this case) the 7th best tackle versus the best interior lineman in the draft, I'd guess their decision was pretty close, as the highest IOL was drafted literally with the next pick.

If you live in a fantasy where you actually get the choice between the best OT and best IOL, sure the OT almost certainly wins every time, but there comes a point where the best IOL in the draft is significantly better than the best OT left on the board at that time. That point is not the same in every draft and it doesn't fall neatly into a pigeonhole like 'the first round'.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

I don't know how you look at Morgan and even consider giving him any reps at G especially year 1. MAYBE year 2 if it doesn't look like he can unseat Walker AND a year in the weight room has considerably improved his anchor, but going in, he has the skills to play T now and I just don't see a G there at all. He is not even a threat to compete with Rhyan this year. 

10 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Would you be mad if we took Jenkins at Savage's slot in 2019?

If Morgan is good, I don't give a ..... what position he plays or what round he was drafted. If Walker beats him out and Morgan starts over Rhyan and plays RG for the next 8 years we're going to be upset about that? We haven't had high end drive skills at that spot since Sitton and Lang left, but I can tell you there's a lot more to unleash in that body than there was for Runyan. Maybe not elite, but focusing solely on guard if he was a cog there I think he could get to above average. 

10 minutes ago, spilltray said:

I don't know how you look at Morgan and even consider giving him any reps at G especially year 1. MAYBE year 2 if it doesn't look like he can unseat Walker AND a year in the weight room has considerably improved his anchor, but going in, he has the skills to play T now and I just don't see a G there at all. He is not even a threat to compete with Rhyan this year. 

Because the Packers want their best 5 players on the field, and if that 5 is Walker, Morgan, Tom, Jenkins, Myers, someone has to play RG.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Would you be mad if we took Jenkins at Savage's slot in 2019?

If Morgan is good, I don't give a ..... what position he plays or what round he was drafted. If Walker beats him out and Morgan starts over Rhyan and plays RG for the next 8 years we're going to be upset about that? We haven't had high end drive skills at that spot since Sitton and Lang left, but I can tell you there's a lot more to unleash in that body than there was for Runyan. Maybe not elite, but focusing solely on guard if he was a cog there I think he could get to above average. 

Yes, not as a matter of results, but as a matter of internal strategy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Because the Packers want their best 5 players on the field, and if that 5 is Walker, Morgan, Tom, Jenkins, Myers, someone has to play RG.

Then you'll have to move Walker, because I don't think Morgan can do what you need him to do at G and would literally be set up to fail. He's not ready to anchor against an NFL DT with power. 

I'm higher on Rhyan than Walker anyway.