1.25 - Jordan Morgan [OT; Arizona]

10 hours ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

If Morgan starts at RG day 1, that probably means that Walker has improved quite a bit and coaches feel comfortable with him starting. I'm expecting Morgan to start at RG this season. Though admittedly I'm a lot higher on Walker than most.

The selection of Morgan, in my mind, sent a clear message about how they feel about Walker: replacement level talent.

16 hours ago, StatKing said:

It's almost like those guys play completely different positions. I don't think it's asking to much to expect our first round pick to start. When's the last time we had a true impact rookie first rounder? Jaire like 6 years ago? 

And yet here you are, surprised that we took someone with elite traits and a high ceiling but who probably needs to be developed for a while.

When this is 100% the Green Bay way in the first round.  It's so much our way that it is odd when we take someone in the first and actually play them right away.

I'm not sure why this surprises you, or that you'd rail against it when it is a proven blueprint of how GB does business.

51 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

And yet here you are, surprised that we took someone with elite traits and a high ceiling but who probably needs to be developed for a while.

When this is 100% the Green Bay way in the first round.  It's so much our way that it is odd when we take someone in the first and actually play them right away.

I'm not sure why this surprises you, or that you'd rail against it when it is a proven blueprint of how GB does business.

I know we are a draft and develop team, that doesn't mean I have to always agree with it.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, StatKing said:

I know we are a draft and develop team, that doesn't mean I have to always agree with it.

I hear you on that one.  I'm like you in that regard, I'd like my first round picks to actually play right away.

The difference is that I expect GB to develop a first round pick.  They've proven it time and time again and it typically works out for the betterment of the team and the player.

And with Morgan?  I don't know that he won't win a starting spot.  But I'm not going to call the pick a mistake if he doesn't.

• Like 1

Other than Rhyan at RG, I expect GB's week 1 starting OL to match the OL that started the SF playoff game.  Morgan could win one of those spots, but I'd put those odds at less than 50% just because I think he'll be primarily competing against Walker at LT.  I am fine with the idea that Walker is replaceable, but at the same time, he isn't bad.  Morgan will have to be pretty impressive in camp and pre-season to win that spot for week 1.  The suggestion that Morgan not starting week 1 should cause serious concern is absurd.

My opinion would change if it's actually true that GB plans to move Tom off of RT.

On 4/29/2024 at 5:24 PM, StatKing said:

I would hope like hell he can beat Walker out otherwise there was no point in taking him.

You act like Rasheed Walker didn't play well in the 2nd half of the season.

Posted (edited)
On 4/29/2024 at 11:24 PM, StatKing said:

I would hope like hell he (Morgan) can beat Walker out otherwise there was no point in taking him.

This makes no sense at all. There are scenarios beyond what you imagine. 

For example, the Packers give Morgan his chance at LT first, since that is what he played in college and what he knows best.......but what they have planned for, is Morgan to become the next RG. That's just one scenario.

Another is he becomes the left guard and Elgton Jenkins becomes the C.

Or Walker wins the LT battle and Morgan goes to RT with Tom becoming C.

Or Walker wins the LT battle and Morgan becomes the swing tackle as a high level replacement, when one of the starting OTs are injured, with ideas of him competing as a starter on hold, while he learns.

It is extremely difficult to project where Morgan ends up. It could be (and probably is) as simple as the Packers just taking the high player on their board and are simply adding to the competition at guard and tackle. They will let things play out and decide where to place who, depending on how camp unfolds. There probably isn't much of a plan now beyond adding good competition because no-one knows how training camp will play out, and the regular season beyond that.

In this case, a fluid situation is what you want to embrace, until training camp and beyond when you will have a much better idea of how players stack up. Monk's future might be clearer, as he probably just competes for the centre job (he's a little light for guard). With Morgan, the crystal ball is not showing things so clearly.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

You act like Rasheed Walker didn't play well in the 2nd half of the season.

I was one of the few people praising Walker by saying I didn't think LT was a super high priority in the draft.

I'll be the first one to admit I don't know much about Morgan. I'm not a big draft guy so I'm kind of deferring to others on the forum when it comes to their evaluation of him as a prospect and the reception around here was very lukewarm.

I don't want to hear about how Morgan might be a good swing tackle when we took this guy in the first round. We have a 2-3 year window to do something really special and I want to capitalize on it as much as possible.

3 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

This makes no sense at all. There are scenarios beyond what you imagine. 

For example, the Packers give Morgan his chance at LT first, since that is what he played in college and what he knows best.......but what they have planned for, is Morgan to become the next RG. That's just one scenario.

Another is he becomes the left guard and Elgton Jenkins becomes the C.

Or Walker wins the LT battle and Morgan goes to RT with Tom becoming C.

Or Walker wins the LT battle and Morgan becomes the swing tackle as a high level replacement, when one of the starting OTs are injured, with ideas of him competing as a starter on hold, while he learns.

It is extremely difficult to project where Morgan ends up. It could be (and probably is) as simple as the Packers just taking the high player on their board and are simply adding to the competition at guard and tackle. They will let things play out and decide where to place who, depending on how camp unfolds. There probably isn't much of a plan now beyond adding good competition because no-one knows how training camp will play out, and the regular season beyond that.

In this case, a fluid situation is what you want to embrace, until training camp and beyond when you will have a much better idea of how players stack up. Monk's future might be clearer, as he probably just competes for the centre job (he's a little light for guard). With Morgan, the crystal ball is not showing things so clearly.

I'm hoping he starts at LT but I'll be happy with him just starting regardless of position. As long as he makes an impact, that's all I care about. Him sitting on the bench doesn't do anything for us.