1.25 - Jordan Morgan [OT; Arizona]

13 hours ago, persiandud said:

what do you guys think? I do think there is fire to that Packers report that they see Tom as a better C 

I don't think it's likely that GB will be running with Morgan and Walker as the starting OT's in week 1.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It's going to be interesting to see the philosophy. 

There's an argument for putting Tom at LT and then building from there.

Yeah, if GB has plans to move Tom, I think it's more likely to be LT than C.

I've just noticed that in the NFL draft tracker Morgan is the only one in the OL category.

Normally the OL players are split into three categories, OT, G and C.

For Morgan to have his own category is interesting. Not sure if it means anything or just a an unintended quirk on nfl.com. Whether intended or not it really does show how much the Packers value versatile OL.

Using the additional data from this draft I was able to fine-tune the Packers OL thresholds.

Between 6'3" and 6'6" (Standard)
Between 6'4" and 6'9" (LaFleur)
Weight: under 325lbs
Arm Length: > 32"
Wingspan (OT): > 80" (Tackles generally have wingspans over 82" but the Packers are willing to accept guys as low as 80")
Wingspan (iOL): > 77" (Interior guys generally have wingspans below 80")
Hands: > 10"
Forty: < 5.25s
Shuttle: < 4.85s
3cone: < 7.85s
Vert:  > 25"
Bench: > 20 reps
Broad: > 9ft
Other Requirements: LT, Position versatility, Lots of college starts & eye test for fluid feet.

Using these parameters (I used standard heights) the list of players it brought up were:

TACKLES:
Taliese Fuaga
Kingsley Suamataia
Jordan Morgan
Blake Fisher
Brandon Coleman
Walter Rouse
Trente Jones

GUARDS/CENTRES:
Mason McCormick
Christian Mahogany
Layden Robinson
Trevor Keegan
Jacob Monk
Tanor Bortolini
Nick Gargiulo

The hand size eliminated alot of prospects including Barton and Fautanu.

Of the list, two of them we drafted and one we picked up as an UDFA. I know we showed heavy interest in Bortolini.

Had we not drafted Morgan then I think Suamataia & Coleman would've been our backup plan.

If I included "Played LT" parameters to the tackle group then Fuaga, Fisher and Jones would've been eliminated.

We always relax on those parameters a little later on in the draft which allowed us to find Travis Glover as well as Jennings as an UDFA.

If I increase the tackle height we get Mims, Guyton and Crum. Theoretically Mims and Guyton would be eliminated for being RT only however I strongly feel Gute wouldn't have been able to resist Mims had he been available.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 3

I don't see any guard in how he plays.

I do see a Bakh type LT.  Feet, technique and brain.  Better in pass pro than run.  

We got the best out of Walker with competition.  Now he still has it.

I'm never going to be upset over investing in the OL.  Still...Barton was there.  

DeJean was the big name guy there who made the most sense, but we obviously really wanted to take a tackle with our first round pick.  And given what we will soon pay Love, it was smart.

That and this....I like Morgan better than the rest of the tier 2 and tier 3 LT's in this class.  Like there was a pretty big drop off from him to whomever we could have gotten with our second, second round pick at LT.

Unliked safety/slot.  Getting Bullard is not much of a drop off from DeJean.  

36 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

He's getting John Michels old number.  77.  May he put it to better use.

It's not all bad news on Packers who wore #77, but it's also not a whose who of Packer great either. 

Kostelnik and Butler were probably the two best. Mandarich and Michaels surely sucked though.  

All Players To Wear Number 77 For Green Bay Packers | Pro-Football-Reference.com

37 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

DeJean is moving to a new position. It very well could turn into a trade up. 

Could be.

I like both of them as cover or slot coverage safeties.  I feel like DeJean is better there right now.  Can't really tell how DeJean can cover space.

But my point was kind of simple.

Had we gone DeJean in the first, which is what I wanted us to do, the drop off from him to Bullard isn't all that steep, if at all at safety.

The drop off from Morgan to whoever was there with our second, second round pick, would have been much greater.

So while I was not a big fan of Morgan for where we picked, I get why we did it and in hindsight, it looks like the right move.

I was playing checkers, Gute was clearly playing chess.

• Like 1