1.25 - Jordan Morgan [OT; Arizona]

In a draft deep with good offensive linemen, I'd love to see us grab another good one today or round 4, that could compete with Rhyan.  Morgan competes with Walker, other guy competes with Rhyan.  

Gute mentioned in his press conference how we were pretty lucky with o-line injuries last year.  Obviously Bakhti, but otherwise we were super lucky.  Adding Morgan and another good inside guy would be ideal.  

Obviously we've only got 4 picks tonight, that's not enough to get somebody at every position I'd love a good guy.  S, CB, ILB, OL, RB, edge, DL, every one of those groups wants another good player, and we don't have picks for them all.  Just get good players with the picks you do make.  

I don't know anything, so I'm a trust-Gute guy.  Gute and the scouts have earned that.  We are so lucky to have an organization that we can trust.  How many fans have that NOT be true for the teams they love?  

So I'm assuming whatever they saw in Morgan, I trust it.  

Was not what I was expecting, and I admit as 24-25 were coming up, I thought a trade-down was very plausible.  Seemed like there were a bunch of guys that the board likes and that the media have discussed as worthy.  So yeah, I really thought a trade was probably more likely than a pick.  

But Packers wasted no time in getting that pick in, and Gute's comments suggested no ambiguity about the choice.  Hopefully they are vindicated over time.  

14 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

Then if you go back and re-read my previous posts, my point is even if he were to move to center (a hypothetical possibility, not a probability mind you) the Packers know his value across the entire line.  They know he can play any position and play it at a high level.   He will not be compensated "as a center."    He will be compensated as a wildly valuable offensive lineman that is currently playing center

With a 7th round pick signed through 2025 and a rookie as the OT's in this scenario, Tom is an easy re-sign at upper OL market value regardless of position he is currently playing.   Packers know they can always move him back to OT if they don't re-sign Walker in 2026.

So, the Packers would "reset" the center market by nearly doubling what currently exists. I don't see that happening. 

There is a reason why tackles get paid more than interior linemen. Remind me never to hire you as our cap expert if that is the way you pay people. 

Also, Gute has said Morgan is a LT. We have no idea if Walker can play RT. The reality is we drafted a LT in round 1. It means we want to replace our LT. 

I do not rule out the very real possibility that Meyers gets a second contract. It surely won't be top of the market money but he definitely could garner a second deal. 

20 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

So, the Packers would "reset" the center market by nearly doubling what currently exists. I don't see that happening. 

There is a reason why tackles get paid more than interior linemen. Remind me never to hire you as our cap expert if that is the way you pay people. 

What we have here is a failure to communicate.    You see a situation where if a player is asked to play center in a given year that means the team suddenly views that player as only a center and can only be compensated as such.    My view is both the Packers and his representatives view Tom as an offensive lineman and because he happens to play center one season is not a reason to suddenly only be compensated as a center regardless of his ability to move back to OT next season or even mid-season as needed.   Packers know and recognize his value regardless of position he would currently be tasked with.

Tackles get paid more than interior linemen because it is a skillset that most interior linemen do not have and they will never be asked to play that position unless breaking glass in emergency.   Myers is a center, he will be paid as such.   Tom has demonstrated his ability to play 4 positions with distinction and nobody doubts his ability to excel at center if needed as well.   He will be paid accordingly  

Edited by Kampfgeist

12 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Also, Gute has said Morgan is a LT. We have no idea if Walker can play RT. The reality is we drafted a LT in round 1. It means we want to replace our LT. 

To clarify, Morgan will, I assume, start by competing at LT.

But to suggest he is Walkers replacement is wildly overstating what might happen through TC. Morgan could be the swing tackle or the RG or the RT. Heck, he could even end up at LG with Jenkins at Center. Given how the Packers move guys around, every spot along the line, except for Center, could be where Morgan ends up........and Myers isn't safe either, as Tom or Jenkins could play there.

23 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Not real sure how you got that from this...

“The best five,” Gutekunst said when asked where Morgan will play, repeating what has become the slogan for the Packers. “I think we’ll wait until the coaches get their hands on him. I think he can play all four spots. We’re fortunate enough that we’ve got a lot of guys in our group right now that can do that. So I think we’ll kind of let the best five kind of battle it out and see where he ends up.”

Listing to the presser, Gute repeatedly mentioned "smart" and "intelligent".  

I don't know about other alternatives.  But combine and RAS numbers don't speak to that.  I think Packers do very well to value that a lot and factor that in.  I may be imagining, but I kinda feel like that maybe has a higher weighting than in some previous days?  

Maybe Randall was plenty smart, he just had a selfish personality, I don't know.  And obviously by Jace and J'mon rounds, maybe compromising a little on smarts is better than compromising on physical traits.  

But I think that it's really good to factor in both smarts, and personality.  All of the soft intangible personal qualities, fit into the room, etc.., that's part of the equation.  

In presser, Gute recognized that Morgan has only played LT.  He thinks he has the smarts and capacity to learn to play any of four.  But he didn't really seem to assume he'd be instant-ready at the others, and was willing to let it play out and let the coaches figure that stuff.  Training camp is one thing, but there are many months of seasons, and this won't be his only season.  

So, whether there is enough time in camp for him to compete with Walker at LT, maybe then transition to RG and compete with Rhyan and win the 2nd job but not the first?  That might be a little shaky.  But who knows.  Maybe Morgan and Walker both just look more athletic than Rhyan, and both belong in best 5.  

Also possible that they do some of the in-season competition stuff?  Maybe Walker looks good in camp and they stick with him at LT?  Maybe Morgan gets a series or two at RG, and as the season progresses he gets more practice there and gets a larger share, as happened with Rhyan last year?  

I really loved how they had in-season competition at both LT and RG last year.  Don't recall that ever being a thing for o-linemen before, once a season began.  

I feel like one reason you draft a left tackle specifically (even if he eventually plays elsewhere) is that even if Rasheed Walker played well last season, one of the knocks on him as a prospect was that he's was immature and didn't always put in the work.  While he may have grown tremendously in a couple of years as a pro, it's probably good to make him compete for his job until you're sure about that.

• Like 1

We lost Bakhtiari, Nijman, Runyan. Probably will cut Newman eventually too. All of a sudden we got zero depth with one or two starters who we're yet to be convinced with. Not a good situation for Love and for the overall effectiveness of our offence.

You can bet your arse we will triple dip at OL over the three days of the draft.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chili said:

We lost Bakhtiari, Nijman, Runyan. Probably will cut Newman eventually too. All of a sudden we got zero depth with one or two starters who we're yet to be convinced with. Not a good situation for Love and for the overall effectiveness of our offence.

You can bet your arse we will triple dip at OL over the three days of the draft.

In theory, we have 4 starters back and Rhyan played a lot. I feel like we are now 6 deep which isn't great but could be worse. Basically, the same offensive line, controlled San Francisco until Tom went out with concussion. 

I do agree more are coming over the next two days.