1.25 - Jordan Morgan [OT; Arizona]

At first I thought it might be a slight reach, but as more info has come out it's pretty clear Morgan was going in the first round to somebody.  Several teams tried to trade up for him, and Jerry Jones had him on his short list before trading back and picking up an extra 3rd.  He seems to be a great fit for this Packers scheme, so it's probably a wise pick.  It's going to be interesting to see how Rasheed Walker reacts to this.  If his game is elevated by the competition it's going to give the Packers loads of options.  If Walker shrinks and gets beat out by Morgan then we will have a really nice swing tackle in Walker.

37 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

At first I thought it might be a slight reach, but as more info has come out it's pretty clear Morgan was going in the first round to somebody.  Several teams tried to trade up for him, and Jerry Jones had him on his short list before trading back and picking up an extra 3rd.  He seems to be a great fit for this Packers scheme, so it's probably a wise pick.  It's going to be interesting to see how Rasheed Walker reacts to this.  If his game is elevated by the competition it's going to give the Packers loads of options.  If Walker shrinks and gets beat out by Morgan then we will have a really nice swing tackle in Walker.

Best case scenario is Walker elevates his game and he and Morgan rotate until one of them wins out. That, IMO, will be the FRP. Then you move Walker in the off season if you can get a decent pick for him. If not, he's a good back up for one more year. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

Yep.  This type of stuff is why I didn't like him.  Same thing happened in the 1-on-1s.

Yea that video scares the crap out of me. The second rep was particularly awful. It's one thing to overset and whiff like he did on the last rep but to be knocked on your *** by a one arm shiver like that? Gross.

4 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I would hope like hell he can beat Walker out otherwise there was no point in taking him.

4 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Agree Morgan sounded like a 1st rnd lock from news trickling out.

As for Walker, he fought through a tough preseason in 2022 and made the team.   He went toe-to-toe with the more experienced Njiman last year and won the job outright after some time.   A very stressful competition.    Got benched and came back stronger.    I think Walker is wired right and is going to fight to keep the job he probably rightfully believes is his at this point.    Barring injury, Jenkins and Tom are outright locks to start on the line, Myers a very strong probability.  Going to be a hell of a battle between Rhyan and Walker and Morgan and the rest.

Regardless of outcome, I can't see Walker being moved before his contract ends after 2025.  Unless a Glover, Jones or Tenuta absolutely shock, Walker is too cheap and valuable to move absent a 1st/2nd and we won't get that.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, StatKing said:

Yea that video scares the crap out of me. The second rep was particularly awful. It's one thing to overset and whiff like he did on the last rep but to be knocked on your *** by a one arm shiver like that? Gross.

The last rep was Rosengarten, but yeah those first two reps are what he's going to look like if he doesn't fix his awful hand technique.  I get what he's trying to do and it's an incredibly effective technique when done correctly.  It's the same thing Bakh does, but Bakh's hands are fast and accurate while Morgan looks like he's doing a butterfly stroke.  It's really slow and way too wide and inaccurate.  He's in the best place to get it fixed, though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

The last rep was Rosengarten, but yeah those first two reps are what he's going to look like if he doesn't fix his awful hand technique.  I get what he's trying to do and it's an incredibly effective technique when done correctly.  It's the same thing Bakh does, but Bakh's hands are fast and accurate while Morgan looks like he's doing a butterfly stroke.  It's really slow and way too wide and inaccurate.  He's in the best place to get it fixed, though.

In Morgan’s interview he said he really admired Bakh’s film, especially his feet, balance and strike. He definitely will have the coaches and I’m sure some insider film to study of he wants to get some 69 in his game. 

Edited by Refugee

4 hours ago, StatKing said:

It's the Senior Bowl, relax. He's playing in an offense he's never played in, trying to learn a playbook in 3 days, next to a LG he's never played with, across from an EDGE he's never seen on tape, he got his *** kicked. Did I see that on tape? Once, by Bralen Trice in the US game. 

When Arizona picked Paris Johnson Jr were all their fans bummed because LVN kicked his *** once?

One rep should never "scare the crap out of you." I've watched Oregon, Washington, UCLA, Colorado, WSU for 2023 and want to hit some of the 2022 stuff this week, Morgan's win rate with that kind of rush on tape is outstanding. If you want something you actually have to worry about, unlike a Senior Bowl rep, he has the same problem Jason Spriggs had when it comes to his explosiveness out of his stance, he tends to gain too much ground too quickly and run his hips parallel to the sidelines, guys with inside counter moves got him. Latu got him with a spin that way. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It's the Senior Bowl, relax. He's playing in an offense he's never played in, trying to learn a playbook in 3 days, next to a LG he's never played with, across from an EDGE he's never seen on tape, he got his *** kicked. Did I see that on tape? Once, by Bralen Trice in the US game. 

When Arizona picked Paris Johnson Jr were all their fans bummed because LVN kicked his *** once?

One rep should never "scare the crap out of you." I've watched Oregon, Washington, UCLA, Colorado, WSU for 2023 and want to hit some of the 2022 stuff this week, Morgan's win rate with that kind of rush on tape is outstanding. If you want something you actually have to worry about, unlike a Senior Bowl rep, he has the same problem Jason Spriggs had when it comes to his explosiveness out of his stance, he tends to gain too much ground too quickly and run his hips parallel to the sidelines, guys with inside counter moves got him. Latu got him with a spin that way. 

Aka Jason "Springs"

11 hours ago, StatKing said:

I would hope like hell he can beat Walker out otherwise there was no point in taking him.

The amount of incensed I would be if Morgan starts at RG day 1, or worse, bench. 

14 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Invoking Jason Spriggs name as a comparison doesn't exactly inspire confidence. I almost forgot that guy even existed.

8 hours ago, HyponGrey said:

The amount of incensed I would be if Morgan starts at RG day 1, or worse, bench. 

Atleast he would be starting. If he's on the bench week one it's safe to say it was a waste of a first round pick.

15 minutes ago, StatKing said:

Atleast he would be starting. If he's on the bench week one it's safe to say it was a waste of a first round pick.

Such a myopic view.    Morgan's career will span more than week one and more than year one.    

• Like 7

8 hours ago, HyponGrey said:

If Morgan starts at RG day 1, that probably means that Walker has improved quite a bit and coaches feel comfortable with him starting. I'm expecting Morgan to start at RG this season. Though admittedly I'm a lot higher on Walker than most.

19 hours ago, StatKing said:

Welcome to drafting 25th in the NFL draft. Where good teams draft imperfect players. 

• Like 2