2024 Day 3 NFL Draft Thread

CWood21

28 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I agree about Myers. He’s at a non premium position so we could pay a decent deal for continuity sake but we should always be looking to upgrade. A lot of our guys including Jenkins and Tom are looked at as very good centers although I’m sure they would prefer to play outside.  

For our WR, of course we keep one or two but I think anyone that plays that position well is going to test the market. The contracts there have gotten way out of proportion to the cap and rightfully, every young wideout wants a piece of that action. I don’t think we will lock any of our top guys up for “mid market” deals before they play the field but would be pleasantly surprised if we do. I think we pay high quality RBs, at least one TE and at least one WR but have to find replacements for the rest when the time comes. Hopefully it’s a seamless transition with the draft being nothing but home runs. 

If Musgrave and Kraft break out, I hope we re-sign both of them over the WRs. TE contracts bring more value than WR contracts and are harder to find. Ability to go 2 TE is a huge mismatch for the offense. 

20 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Tom will need a big deal next year. I'm not paying marginal guys, when over the next few years, we have decisions on potentially really good players. I'm guessing Slaton and Myers are going to require 10 a year average or more on next deal. I don't think you pay 'marginal,' starters that kind of money with the guys we really want to retain coming up a year later. 

Unless Myers has a substantially better year than he did last year, I don't think he's sniffing $10M/year.  That would make him the 6th highest paid center.  Tyler Biadasz got less than $10M/year and he had a better season.  My guess is he's probably somewhere in that $6.5M-$7.5M range.  As for Slaton, that body type just doesn't tend to lead to many big paydays.  Don't get me wrong, he'll get a substantial bump from his current contract but he's not a $10M+ contract.

• Like 1

DJ Reader averages 1.25 sacks per year and just got 2 for 20 from the Lions. He has no pass rush juice either. 

Slaton keeps getting better, and better. One could make the case Slaton had a better year than Reader last year. 

Slaton is 26, Reader is 30. 

Edited by Old Guy

36 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

DJ Reader averages 1.25 sacks per year and just got 2 for 20 from the Lions. He has no pass rush juice either. 

Slaton keeps getting better, and better. One could make the case Slaton had a better year than Reader last year. 

Slaton is 26, Reader is 30. 

Slaton has 1 sack and 4 QB hits in 3 seasons, or roughly 0.33 sacks and 1.33 QB hits per season.  DJ Reader has 9.5 sacks and 44 QB hits in 8 seasons, or roughly 1.19 sacks per season and 5.55 QB hits per season.  Slaton makes Reader look like Aaron Donald.  He'll get a paybump, but he's not getting $10M+/year.  Feel like 2 years, $12M is probably his upside.

• Like 2

The Packers have a good problem on their hands. Hats off to Gute, his last 3 draft classes have been money 💰  The 22 and 23 classes are my favorites of his tenure.

But I don't know how many we will be able to Pay. From 22 we'll have to choose one of Watson or Doubs,  Wyatt or Walker. Tom is a lock for an extension.

From 23, Wicks or Reed. Musgrave or Kraft.  LVN is a lock for an extension if he continues to improve.

And the tough decisions of deciding which veterans to move on from like Alexander and Gary.

The good news is that we'll never have to overpay for FA in the foreseeable future. And will get tons of draft capital due to comp picks.

Tough decisions coming for Gute and Matt. 

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Slaton has 1 sack and 4 QB hits in 3 seasons, or roughly 0.33 sacks and 1.33 QB hits per season.  DJ Reader has 9.5 sacks and 44 QB hits in 8 seasons, or roughly 1.19 sacks per season and 5.55 QB hits per season.  Slaton makes Reader look like Aaron Donald.  He'll get a pay bump, but he's not getting $10M+/year.  Feel like 2 years, $12M is probably his upside.

Time will tell. Slaton wouldn't be the first guy to really turn it on in a contract year. He's always had ability

Through 3 seasons

Reader had 4 sacks and 11 QB hits on 1568 defensive snaps

Slaton has 1 sack and 4 QB hits on 1214 defensive snaps.

How many of those snaps for each are in passing situations in unknown.  The important thing with Slaton is if the GB staff feel he can offer more as a pass rusher in his future years vs what his first 3 year stats show.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, squire12 said:

Through 3 seasons

Reader had 4 sacks and 11 QB hits on 1568 defensive snaps

Slaton has 1 sack and 4 QB hits on 1214 defensive snaps.

How many of those snaps for each are in passing situations in unknown.  The important thing with Slaton is if the GB staff feel he can offer more as a pass rusher in his future years vs what his first 3 year stats show.  

One takeaway from Halley’s interview was that he is impressed by Slaton’s explosiveness at his size and believes he could have a role in this system to get after the QB. Of course he can say a lot of things in July but he did single him out as a guy he’s had conversations with and believes could have a year that really “helps himself out” meaning elevates him to another tier once it’s time to talk contract. It would be awesome if we have a dominant front this year. 

On 8/2/2024 at 12:58 PM, incognito_man said:

Monk's development throughout the year and the $ will determine Myers future here for sure.

We're in the habit of giving ourselves options (to our benefit). This is another prime example of that.

Many times, yes.  But not recently at center.

We drafted Linsley when we had no one ready to go.

We drafted Myers when we had no one ready to go.

Maybe you can argue Jenkin/Tom/Monk as "ready to go" should he depart.  Maybe.

But we've shown that as a club, we are comfortable drafting a center and just giving him the job.  Even though Myers will never be mistaken for LInsley, he's been just fine since day oneish.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2024 at 12:55 PM, R T said:

The player that is most interesting to me is Stokes, if he remains injury free and balls out like a number one CB, do the Packers tag him and try and sign him to a long-term deal? If he balls out, he will get elite CB money.  

I feel this way about Stokes.  He's a Packer this year.  He balls out?  He's gone.  I'm not paying him.  But I'll happily take the comp pick.  He plays up and down, or average?  I'm "for" doing a solid second deal, 3 years or so.  But not at top 15 CB dollars.  

If I had to lay down what I think will happen?  Stokes leaves in FA and we just take the comp pick.

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I feel this way about Stokes.  He's a Packer this year.  He balls out?  He's gone.  I'm not paying him.  But I'll happily take the comp pick.  He plays up and down, or average?  I'm "for" doing a solid second deal, 3 years or so.  But not at top 15 CB dollars.  

If I had to lay down what I think will happen?  Stokes leaves in FA and we just take the comp pick.

If Stokes balls out i hope we tag and trade him. Teams pay a premium for CBs 

15 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

But if Stokes has a great year, it is a hallmark of the team to pay that guy.  Who is the last guy that had a great season that the Packers let go? Blake Martinez?

Blake Martinez made a lot of tackles, but he was not good at professional football. Apparently, he is really good a buying and selling Pokémon cards though. 

When is the last time we had a 3rd round comp pick? 

As for Stokes, tag him if he goes off this year. It's difficult to pay a guy who was out for almost two years injured. Not his fault, but can we trust him? 

Edited by Old Guy