2024 Packers Draft Immediate Thoughts

Favorite Pick  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite pick of the 2024 Packers draft?

• Jordan Morgan
    • Edgerrin Cooper
    • Javon Bullard
    • Marshawn Lloyd
    • Ty'Ron Hopper
    • Evan Williams
    • Jacob Monk
    • Kitan Oladapo
    • Travis Glover
    • Michael Pratt
    • Kalen King
    • UDFA - Provide Name

41 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

What you call “leak,” others might call Demosky talking out of the side of his neck lol. 

Let's say hypothetically the Packers don't have leaks. 

The Seahawks sure as **** do. 

35 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Why are the Chiefs getting such rave reviews for their draft! Everybody is raving about them getting Xavier Worthy. Time will tell but the hype is overboard. 

Consensus board probably has the chiefs getting good value on their picks

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Why are the Chiefs getting such rave reviews for their draft! Everybody is raving about them getting Xavier Worthy. Time will tell but the hype is overboard. 

Does he really weigh 165? But he ran a really fast 40 yards in shorts!  That makes him great!

Chiefs added 3 OL, and I liked Jaden Hicks.  I like the rest of their picks, don't like the idea of trading up for Worthy.  

On 4/28/2024 at 5:53 PM, Scoremore said:

Lloyd was probably the closest thing to Aaron Jones as there was in this draft.  Little more solidly built not quite as slippery.  We needed a RB and this was about the best we could do.  He's instantly #2.  Should be able to spell Jacobs.  Keep him fresh.  Good pick. 

I recall one of the talking heads on the NFL Network - I can't remember at the moment who - thought this kid was one of the better RBs in this draft and was a steal in that round.

7 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I recall one of the talking heads on the NFL Network - I can't remember at the moment who - thought this kid was one of the better RBs in this draft and was a steal in that round.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I don't know if anyone else has noticed that a number of defensive players uses the "seatbelt" celebration when they make a play.

I've seen King and Bullard use it. Where did it come from originally?

I never seen it before until I saw it in the highlight videos. I'm guessing they're not original and that they're copying it off from someone else? A bit like the griddy which started with Jefferson and now i'm seeing it in everywhere, even in soccer too.

Edited by Chili

27 minutes ago, Chili said:

I don't know if anyone else has noticed that a number of defensive players uses the "seatbelt" celebration when they make a play.

I never seen it before until I saw it in the highlight videos. I'm guessing they're not original and that they're copying it off from someone else? A bit like the griddy which started with Jefferson and now i'm seeing it in everywhere, even in soccer too.

Googling is hard

What does the seatbelt celebration mean?

The seatbelt is the physical manifestation of a celebration used by many members of Auburn's secondary when they make a good play: mimicking buckling a seatbelt. “It basically means you strap up, you're strapping up a receiver,” Simpson said. “You just call it a seatbelt and you do the little seatbelt thing.Sep 13, 2023

31 minutes ago, Chili said:

Haven't seen it? You're basically admitting to not watching a Packer game for 2 years. Jaire Alexander does this probably 4 times a game. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Googling is hard

What does the seatbelt celebration mean?

The seatbelt is the physical manifestation of a celebration used by many members of Auburn's secondary when they make a good play: mimicking buckling a seatbelt. “It basically means you strap up, you're strapping up a receiver,” Simpson said. “You just call it a seatbelt and you do the little seatbelt thing.Sep 13, 2023

It can't be from them as I saw King use it in his 2022 highlights video.

Edit: apparently it started with Jaycee Horn with South Carolina.

Edited by Chili

Posted (edited)

Back to the "consensus" discussion, thanks for all of the thoughts, and for the links.  The data in that link basically showed that after the first 100 picks, the consensus is as good as the league, maybe a shade better. 

I wonder if "need" and "opportunity" factors?  Had the league gone with consensus, might the consensus not have done as well?  Because many consensus guys would have been blocked?  

Same goes with scheme and fit.  Often consensus guys don't fit a team's scheme or personnel, so had  consensus guys always been taken, they'd not have done as well or earned as much as being take variably later by teams where they both fit ideally and where opportunity knocked?  

In a sense, I think I'm speculating that it's maybe actually kinda hard for teams to do as well as consensus, because scheme, fit, personnel, blocking, and needs make it hard for consensus guy to alway be taken, have opportunity, and thrive within the scheme.  

The thoughts on "reach" versus "steal" were helpful.  The data that most "reaches" are reaches (hello, Deguara!), and most "steals" aren't (hello, EQ) makes sense. 

Edited by craig

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Haven't seen it? You're basically admitting to not watching a Packer game for 2 years. Jaire Alexander does this probably 4 times a game. 

Being from the UK i'm not able to watch EVERY Packers game. 4, 5 or 6 games a season (not including the playoffs) if i'm lucky to have it on TV and record it.

Edited by Chili

I'm just hoping/trusting that Gute's scouts did a good job, and that a lot of our picks will do well.  All of the first 6 picks have huge windows of opportunity to play and to contribute.  *IF* the Packers get good value from a bunch of those guys, the team will benefit.  

As many have observed, a lot of picks spent on hair-on-fire chasers.  Team-captains. 

LB and safeties and RB are what Gute spent his picks on.  That being the reality, I'm just hoping that the LB/S/RB guys that Gute spent his picks on turn out to be mostly good at playing LB and S and running back (and slot.).  LB/S/RB obviously aren't "impact/value" spots, and we all get the idea that LB and safeties don't change the world like great QB, CB, and edges do.  But picking in the 40-120 range, it's hard to hit on great CB/edge guys.  I'm just hoping the guys we actually did pick just play well at the spots they actually do play.  

I'm a naive optimist for sure, but am super hopeful that Gute and scouts chose logically and wisely and the picks mostly work out.  

I remember going into a safeties year with UDFA Doc Jennings and with late 4th-rounder McMillian from Maine.  Am sure hoping that with the investment on safeties and fast LB, that our pass coverage and tackling ability in the middle of the field ("soft underbelly") will become very good for years to come, and will force opponents to attack us in different ways.