2024 Packers Draft Immediate Thoughts

Favorite Pick  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite pick of the 2024 Packers draft?

• Jordan Morgan
    • Edgerrin Cooper
    • Javon Bullard
    • Marshawn Lloyd
    • Ty'Ron Hopper
    • Evan Williams
    • Jacob Monk
    • Kitan Oladapo
    • Travis Glover
    • Michael Pratt
    • Kalen King
    • UDFA - Provide Name

15 hours ago, hoekd0250 said:

With Elliot wolf running the patriots. Did he follow the gute principles and maybe take a few of our guys or did he have his own draft rules I wonder.

still believe in e made the right choice with gute and not wolf as gm.

Might be neither.  The Patriots got their own ways of doing things that are definitely not the Packer way.

Now I'm no Elliot W apologist.  Whether it's coach or GM, having same last name as your dad doesn't make you him, and certainly he's yet to prove he can bring the Pats back from the pits.  And I doubt they will be back for a long time unless they magically find some Tom Brady 2.0 player.

But I always feel like in teams that aren't Green Bay the owners are always finding a way to steer the personnel and draft decisions their way and are always involved some way or another.  No, I'm not saying they just jump in and run the whole thing directly like Jerry Jones does, but I'm pretty sure the Krafts are always sitting in that back seat saying something about what they want from the front office.

3 hours ago, spilltray said:

I'm waiting to hear if they are going to use those green and yellow throwbacks (or a different third jersey) this year. If so, I'm getting a #20 Bullard.

Get the one you want regardless!

Going through Goldfish's draft thread in Gen, looked at Green Bays previous drafts, and Gute's first four years really were pretty bad. Alexander, Jenkins, Love, and Gary. That's about it. Scott, MVS, and Meyers were fine I suppose 

• Like 1

Elliot Wolf.  He's a friend of my friends brother.  Never met him.  But I've heard a lot of stories about what a good person he is.

Also...it isn't like he inherited the family business.  The guy got a great education and chose football.

Wouldn't surprise me if he wanted to get away from GB for a while to step out of his dad's shadow.

Wouldn't shock me if he came back later, too.  I hope he does well.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, ReasonablySober said:

Packers were talking with Seattle about moving up but bowed out as the Seattle was coming up. Fuaga and Latu went right before Seattle came on the clock.

Fuaga ticks alot of boxes. His physical and testing measurements fitted the Packers thresholds. He has size 10"+ hands - that's important.

Team Captain. The Packers are suckers for those.

But......what kills it for me is that he's a RT only. He has never shown versatility in college. I can't see the Packers being interested in him because of that, especially at such a high pick.

They would only risk no versatility if the player was a LT. That what they did with Morgan. Morgan playing inside is just projection, he has good feet, has the right sort of body type, shorter arms, right mentality. So there's a maybe he can move inside.

I think it was Byron Murphy they may have been trying to trade up for but cannot rule out Amarius Mims. Despite being RT only, he is such a physical freak that I can see Gute falling in love with a guy like that.

I suspect the price to trade up was too great and Gute bowed out.

Edited by Chili

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Chili said:

It would probably have cost the Packers pick 25 and 58 to move up to 16, maybe the Seahawks asked for even more.....

Personally, I'd say Morgan AND Bullard are better value than just Fuaga or just Murphy, Mims or Verse.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

We were probably out once the Jets took Fashanu.

Nah. His hands are too small. The Packers are obsessed with hands size. Whilst they probably liked him I don't think he was the guy that they were targeting.

5 hours ago, Chili said:

Fuaga ticks alot of boxes. His physical and testing measurements fitted the Packers thresholds. He has size 10"+ hands - that's important.

Team Captain. The Packers are suckers for those.

But......what kills it for me is that he's a RT only. He has never shown versatility in college. I can't see the Packers being interested in him because of that, especially at such a high pick.

They would only risk no versatility if the player was a LT. That what they did with Morgan. Morgan playing inside is just projection, he has good feet, has the right sort of body type, shorter arms, right mentality. So there's a maybe he can move inside.

I think it was Byron Murphy they may have been trying to trade up for but cannot rule out Amarius Mims. Despite being RT only, he is such a physical freak that I can see Gute falling in love with a guy like that.

Fuaga profiles better to guard than Morgan does. You want drive skills? There they are. I'm sure he was high on their list. Frees up Tom to go to LT or C down the road if he stayed at RT. 

On 5/1/2024 at 9:43 PM, LLcheesehead12 said:

Might be neither.  The Patriots got their own ways of doing things that are definitely not the Packer way.

Now I'm no Elliot W apologist.  Whether it's coach or GM, having same last name as your dad doesn't make you him, and certainly he's yet to prove he can bring the Pats back from the pits.  And I doubt they will be back for a long time unless they magically find some Tom Brady 2.0 player.

But I always feel like in teams that aren't Green Bay the owners are always finding a way to steer the personnel and draft decisions their way and are always involved some way or another.  No, I'm not saying they just jump in and run the whole thing directly like Jerry Jones does, but I'm pretty sure the Krafts are always sitting in that back seat saying something about what they want from the front office.

1. The Kraft's have been busy with a couple other things recently (both foreign and domestic), so their interference is probably less noticeable than in previous years. 

2. Managing the owner is quite literally the most significant aspect of being a GM. Having a plan and communicating that plan in such a way that it generates buy in from the guy that writes the check is part of the gig. Welcome to the life of every upper level management person who reports directly to the C Suite or Board of Directors. 

A good General Manager will tell you that there's no excuse.