Teams you think are overrated or underrated at this point

bomont

On 5/17/2024 at 7:15 PM, bomont said:

49ers: Sure they're good, but the SB loser jinx is real and I sense the boat rocking in terms of receivers.

lol what??

They added depth to their WR group. Deebo, Aiyuk, Jauan Jennings, Ricky Pearsall, and Cowing are probably about as good as any 5 WRs in the NFL. If you are mentioning the "SB loser jinx" then you are clearly talking about 2024 exclusively, which means talking about the WRs as a negative is super silly. 

Surprised you didn't say anything about Brock Purdy. Lots of people (incorrectly) think he is overrated. At least they have a legitimate case to make about it, whereas your argument is "other teams who lost the SB are bad, and I heard a twitter rumor one month ago that Aiyuk could be traded" which is just laughable.

The niners have been to 4 out of the last 5 NFCCGs, with two superbowl losses to a dynasty. That doesn't make them overrated. They have one of the best winning percentages in the NFL since 2019. That is a large enough sample size to say that this group is really, really good. 

Best RB in the NFL. Best LT in the NFL. Two top 20 WRs. Top 2 TE. Best ILB. Top 3 DE. Great corners. Top 5 coach. QB who is setting efficiency records and was the MVP favorite in week 16. This is a good football team by every imaginable metric. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Duluther said:

GB is overrated , DET takes a step back, and SF has a SH hangover. Who in tf is going to be good in the NFC, then?

There will be surprise risers, and 1 of those 3 will live up to the expectations we have now. I'm possibly foolishly buying into the Baker redemption arc. One of the NFC West teams will be a serious challenger to the 9ers whether it's the Rams or the Seahawks I'm not sure yet.

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

Overrated: Bears, Eagles

Underrated: Colts, Cardinals 

Not many people are high on the Eagles, heck I've seen more people down on them because of the Vince Young "Dream Team" thing back in the day than I've seen people who actually think they'll succeed. 

Cardinals are going to continue to suck until they git rid of Gannon IMO, they'll get more talented over this year and next year, but they'll still be picking top 10, then they'll hire an actual good coach before finally getting good again.

3 hours ago, N4L said:

lol what??

They added depth to their WR group. Deebo, Aiyuk, Jauan Jennings, Ricky Pearsall, and Cowing are probably about as good as any 5 WRs in the NFL. If you are mentioning the "SB loser jinx" then you are clearly talking about 2024 exclusively, which means talking about the WRs as a negative is super silly. 

Surprised you didn't say anything about Brock Purdy. Lots of people (incorrectly) think he is overrated. At least they have a legitimate case to make about it, whereas your argument is "other teams who lost the SB are bad, and I heard a twitter rumor one month ago that Aiyuk could be traded" which is just laughable.

The niners have been to 4 out of the last 5 NFCCGs, with two superbowl losses to a dynasty. That doesn't make them overrated. They have one of the best winning percentages in the NFL since 2019. That is a large enough sample size to say that this group is really, really good. 

Best RB in the NFL. Best LT in the NFL. Two top 20 WRs. Top 2 TE. Best ILB. Top 3 DE. Great corners. Top 5 coach. QB who is setting efficiency records and was the MVP favorite in week 16. This is a good football team by every imaginable metric. 

Every team that loses the Super Bowl thinks that they were close and if one or two things go their way in the offseason that they'll automatically get better. When in reality... winning in the NFL is hard, winning every year is even more difficult. 

Expecting to replicate what they did last year is a form of arrogance. Unless you have a transcendent coach and QB like the Pats of years past and the Chiefs now, you need to get really lucky to have repeated success, and to sustain a high level of play.

I don't know how I expect things to recede for the 9ers. It's just that history has shown that the odds are, they will. Not because of some curse, but again, winning is hard. It's like the tides.

• Like 3

I also want to say, I'm a bit more cautious with my predictions at this point in the year, sort of like how Vegas is. Undoubtedly some teams will finish with 13-14 wins, and some will finish with only 3-4, but I'm unlikely to pencil any specific team down for that because we don't really have a clear picture of how all the myriad of moves made around the league are really going to impact the teams, so it make my bell curve for predictions a bit more narrow than what the actual bell curve will look like when the season's been played out.

I don't know about the media because I really haven't been watching a whole lot, but the Bills are underrated on this forum IMO.  I'm confident barring an injury to Josh Allen they will push for 10+ wins.  Also believe Kincaid will take that next step in his 2nd year, helping negate the loss of Diggs.  And the defense still finished as one of the best despite a whole lot of injuries and have always been good under McDermott, so I expect they'll at least be somewhere in the top 15.

Browns might be a tad underrated too.  But it is really dependent on Deshaun Watson.  I really don't know what to think of him (as a player) or if he even has the ability to get back to his level of play in Houston. 

Not sure if I would say any team is overrated right now.  Maybe the Jets?  I'm not sold that Rodgers will be all that good for them, even if he does stay healthy.  But even in saying that, they won 7 games with Wilson/Siemian.  Even a regressed Rodgers should be much better than that... you would think anyway.  I'm not sure it would surprise me if he was straight cheeks this year.  

• Like 1

Minnesota, the Jets, and the Raiders are underrated but questions at QB (e.g. can Aaron Rodgers stay in one piece?) might make it hard to prove.

Philadelphia will be hard pressed to find a new and exciting way to lose but I have faith they'll manage.

Baltimore isn't as daunting as usual, even if they remain healthy.

Whoever you pick to win the AFC-South or NFC-South is overrated.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2024 at 5:51 PM, General Tso said:

I was wondering who was "rating" the Bills and then saw they have the highest win totals for the AFC East in Vegas. I suppose it's on the other teams in that division to prove they can win more.

I also see the Rams are 3 games worse than the 49ers.. I think I would buy on the Rams too.

That seems like a fair prediction given how the past 5 years have gone. They seem a bit underrated 'round these parts. They'll likely be contender heading into January like they usually are. The issue is- they have to have one of their wins against the Chiefs come in the playoffs. They're two very evenly matched teams, but the football gods like the taste of Buffalo tears, so they made sure they had a depleted defense the last time the two teams met, hehe.

Edited by WizeGuy

10 hours ago, iknowcool said:

I don't know about the media because I really haven't been watching a whole lot, but the Bills are underrated on this forum IMO.  I'm confident barring an injury to Josh Allen they will push for 10+ wins.  Also believe Kincaid will take that next step in his 2nd year, helping negate the loss of Diggs.  And the defense still finished as one of the best despite a whole lot of injuries and have always been good under McDermott, so I expect they'll at least be somewhere in the top 15.

Browns might be a tad underrated too.  But it is really dependent on Deshaun Watson.  I really don't know what to think of him (as a player) or if he even has the ability to get back to his level of play in Houston. 

Not sure if I would say any team is overrated right now.  Maybe the Jets?  I'm not sold that Rodgers will be all that good for them, even if he does stay healthy.  But even in saying that, they won 7 games with Wilson/Siemian.  Even a regressed Rodgers should be much better than that... you would think anyway.  I'm not sure it would surprise me if he was straight cheeks this year.  

I feel the same way. I'm quite excited about this year. But I do like fans underrating them. People were crapping on them last year when they went on their skid (rightfully so), but they pulled the rug out from under those fans. Probably one of the better Bills teams Allen has played for. It's a shame the injury bug hit when it did because they were on a heater going into Jan. 

As for overrated teams- Jets take the cake for me. 

Underrated- hard to say, Bengals seem to be forgotten about. If Burrow is healthy, then I think they win the division again. 

12 hours ago, Danger said:

I also want to say, I'm a bit more cautious with my predictions at this point in the year, sort of like how Vegas is. Undoubtedly some teams will finish with 13-14 wins, and some will finish with only 3-4, but I'm unlikely to pencil any specific team down for that because we don't really have a clear picture of how all the myriad of moves made around the league are really going to impact the teams, so it make my bell curve for predictions a bit more narrow than what the actual bell curve will look like when the season's been played out.

I'm not sure there are more significant moves REALLY left to be made but the injuries will be painful for some teams and others will be very lucky

1 minute ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I'm not sure there are more significant moves REALLY left to be made but the injuries will be painful for some teams and others will be very lucky

I'm not saying moves left to be made, but rather, we don't know how the moves that have been made will really pan out. 

tl;dr I'm hedging my predictions by being overly conservative on both ends of the wins bell curve at this point in time.

The old "on paper" sort of thing. Until we see how each of these teams actually performs for a few games really.

• Like 1

Packers feel like the super trendy pick in the NFC. I think they're being overrated. They were cute, fun and young last year. Let's see what they do when viewed differently. I feel like the Lions are going to underwhelm, so they're overrated in my book.

• Like 1