Watching the other five 2024 1st round rookie QB's....

Jayden Daniels has been named Washington’s starter — for the first preseason game.

Commanders head coach Dan Quinn said in his Tuesday press conference that Daniels has “earned the right” to start the first preseason game, while making it clear that Daniels is listed at QB1 on only the team’s first unofficial depth chart.

“It’s still unofficial, and I’ll let you know when we make final decisions,” Quinn said.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/jayden-daniels-will-start-commanders-first-preseason-game

Stidham was listed as the starter on the Broncos’ first unofficial depth chart of the preseason. New arrival Zach Wilson was No. 2 and rookie first-round draft pick Bo Nix is No. 3.

Depth charts published by teams are unofficial and are often the work of the people who provide content to the teams’ websites, rather than from coaches. So they should be taken with a grain of salt.

But Stidham will, at least for now, be recognized for what he did with the franchise last year, when he took over after the benching of Russell Wilson. The starting job is Stidham’s until someone takes it from him.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/broncos-depth-chart-lists-jarrett-stidham-as-starter-zach-wilson-no-2-bo-nix-no-3

@AnAngryAmerican @7DnBrnc53 @jsthomp2007 @broncos67 @thebestever6 @AKRNA, what say ye? has Nix been consistent at least this summer, or ups and downs?

3 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Stidham was listed as the starter on the Broncos’ first unofficial depth chart of the preseason. New arrival Zach Wilson was No. 2 and rookie first-round draft pick Bo Nix is No. 3.

Depth charts published by teams are unofficial and are often the work of the people who provide content to the teams’ websites, rather than from coaches. So they should be taken with a grain of salt.

But Stidham will, at least for now, be recognized for what he did with the franchise last year, when he took over after the benching of Russell Wilson. The starting job is Stidham’s until someone takes it from him.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/broncos-depth-chart-lists-jarrett-stidham-as-starter-zach-wilson-no-2-bo-nix-no-3

@AnAngryAmerican @7DnBrnc53 @jsthomp2007 @broncos67 @thebestever6 @AKRNA, what say ye? has Nix been consistent at least this summer, or ups and downs?

From all the reports I have read and heard, Nix has been steadily ascending and it appears he has now passed Stidham to take the QB1 spot. In the first few days of camp, Stidham was ahead but Nix last week and through the first few practices this week, Nix has been getting more and more action with the 1s. As of the end of practice yesterday, Nix had ran with the 1s in five of the last seven practices, three of which were full padded practices. 

The consensus in Broncos County seems to be that absent Nix falling on his face in the preseason games, or getting injured, he will be the week 1 starter. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

The consensus in Broncos County seems to be that absent Nix falling on his face in the preseason games, or getting injured, he will be the week 1 starter. 

as he should be. with the amount of real game time experience he has, coupled with expectations of improving in the pro game, he has to be able to beat out the other two.

do Bronco fans feel he has Payton's support?

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

as he should be. with the amount of real game time experience he has, coupled with expectations of improving in the pro game, he has to be able to beat out the other two.

Absolutely lol Sean Paytons legacy and chances at the HOF rest on the shoulders of Bo Nix. He's his number one fan.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

Of course as soon as I say that, Broncos team mouthpiece Bronco beat reporter Mike Klis tweets: 

For all depth chart twists, Jarrett Stidham did earn No. 1 listing. He’s incumbent and had been leading QB competition thru OTAs and most of training camp. 
Would think this means he starts preseason opener vs. Colts. Sean Payton to address depth chart after practice. 

http://x.com/mikeklis9news/status/1820856140277903411

Now they did release the depth chart this morning which had Nix (and all rookies) listed at the bottom of the chart at every position, a pointless exercise as I said in the Broncos forum, but whatever. Klis is also distinctly in the minority of reporters and those who follow the team closely who actually thinks Stidham is in the lead for the QB1 job. Frankly it doesn't surprise me as Klis has always had a veteran bias, supporting Orton over Tebow, Keenum over Kelly and Bridgewater over Lock in previous Broncos QB crapshows. Nearly everyone else I have read who has been at camp has said Stidham was in the lead but has been overtaken by Nix the last week-plus. 

As far as support, I think the vast majority of Broncos fans want to see Nix start and start from week 1. This fanbase will be willing to stomach a rookie QB's growing pains as most fans don't expect anything close to a winning season this year. If we were the 2017 Chiefs, with a playoff roster and proven veteran in Alex Smith, it would be a different story. But this fan base is going to riot if we're losing games and losing them ugly with a QB in Stidham (or Wilson, for that matter) who everyone knows is not the long-term answer by any stretch. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Head coach Raheem Morris told reporters in his Wednesday press conference that No. 8 overall pick Michael Penix will be on the field for a substantial amount of time in Friday night’s preseason game, which won’t be the case for veteran starter Kirk Cousins.

Morris: “We haven’t really talked about playing time, but you’ll get a good look at Michael. You won’t see nearly as much of Kirk, if any.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/raheem-morris-youll-get-a-good-look-at-michael-penix-jr-in-preseason-opener

@scar988, what are your views on Penix lately? looking good?

Edited by vike daddy

15 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Head coach Raheem Morris told reporters in his Wednesday press conference that No. 8 overall pick Michael Penix will be on the field for a substantial amount of time in Friday night’s preseason game, which won’t be the case for veteran starter Kirk Cousins.

Morris: “We haven’t really talked about playing time, but you’ll get a good look at Michael. You won’t see nearly as much of Kirk, if any.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/raheem-morris-youll-get-a-good-look-at-michael-penix-jr-in-preseason-opener

@scar988, what are your views on Penix lately? looking good?

Penix looking really good, tbh. Has command of the offense and the huddle. Might have been ok not signing Kirk, but Kirk is here for 2 years regardless. I'm perfectly ok with having an upgrade at QB when Cousins retires.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scar988 said:

Penix looking really good, tbh. Has command of the offense and the huddle. Might have been ok not signing Kirk, but Kirk is here for 2 years regardless. I'm perfectly ok with having an upgrade at QB when Cousins retires.

Any chance the team tries to trade Heinicke?

4 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Any chance the team tries to trade Heinicke?

Unless they decide to keep 3 Qbs, Heinicke could end up being trade bait. Wouldn't be surprising to see Heinicke traded for a WR at the end of camp with Rondale Moore's injury.

• Like 2

Commanders offensive coordinator Kliff Kingsbury is blown away with how hard rookie quarterback Jayden Daniels is working on the mental side of becoming an NFL quarterback:

“I love the process. I love how he approaches each day, how he handles the good, the bad, all the installs. He must study it like crazy at night, because every morning when we get here and he walks through with us, he nails it. And so, you just appreciate the work he’s putting in. He’s paying the cost to try and get where he wants to get. And that’s all you can ask from a young player.”

“I think he is just putting in the work to reach the level that he expects himself to play at this year, which is probably higher than what any of us could imagine. But I just see day in, day out, its consistency in his approach, his consistency in how he treats people and how he studies, how he works. And when you continue to do those things and stack those days, you’re going to get the results you want.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/kliff-kingsbury-i-love-jayden-daniels-process-can-tell-he-studies-like-crazy

@naptownskinsfan @MikeT14 @ARTMONK HOF @Thaiphoon

• Like 1

On 8/6/2024 at 12:18 PM, vike daddy said:

No, I just remember the marquee players.

But I remember Stanford's Plunkett all the way back to the Rose Bowl they won over Ohio State, when it was always the Pac 12 vs the Big 10 winners, as I was from a Big Ten school.

Soon as I read this I thought of Sam Bam Cunningham and Lynn Swann.

• Like 1