Training Camp Thread

Sad about Patrick, but I think this is about reducing our redundancy at WR. We had too many big body receivers on the roster, and with Mims needing to play, (as he's the only burner on the roster) space needed to be made in the starting lineup.

Edited by BroncoSojia

Posted (edited)

The fact that team PR had to go out and post about Stidham being supportive tells me they are either a) keeping all 3 or b) trying to trade him. I know quite well how PR works given that I’m the communications director for a municipal government. They’re cleaning things up after Mason’s tweet went viral with over 1 million shares. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

The fact that team PR had to go out and post about Stidham being supportive tells me they are either a) keeping all 3 or b) trying to trade him. I know quite well how PR works given that I’m the communications director for a municipal government. They’re cleaning things up after Mason’s tweet went viral with over 1 million shares. 

Maybe I'm missing something but I think the spin was Mason's. I just read the quotes and listened to the interviews, same thing I do every Monday morning after a game. I didn't get any "Team PR" feel about it, more like typical Monday AM.

Oh, Sean also came right out and said they would all three make the roster. I posted that quote this morning.

9 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Fully on board with Perine being traded / released. Hate the Patrick move. I will detest it if we've done it and keep 3 QBs.

I'm a huge fan of Patrick. What more could you ask out of a guy. That said, I look at the 3 QB situation a little differently.  I think Seans more focused on where we are in two/three years from now than this year. If true, that changes the dynamic quite a bit.

The trading deadline this year is Nov. 5th. The chances of all NFL starting QB's going uninjured for that duration are almost nil. By almost any metric Wilson's had a great camp, just turned 25 and is only 3 years removed from being the #2 pick overall. I'd think his trade value could bring us a decent draft pick. Just speculation of course but only Nix will be here next year and it would be nice to start piling up some draft picks.

12 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I'm a huge fan of Patrick. What more could you ask out of a guy. That said, I look at the 3 QB situation a little differently.  I think Seans more focused on where we are in two/three years from now than this year. If true, that changes the dynamic quite a bit.

The trading deadline this year is Nov. 5th. The chances of all NFL starting QB's going uninjured for that duration are almost nil. By almost any metric Wilson's had a great camp, just turned 25 and is only 3 years removed from being the #2 pick overall. I'd think his trade value could bring us a decent draft pick. Just speculation of course but only Nix will be here next year and it would be nice to start piling up some draft picks.

Assuming this is true, I still don't like the approach.

The #1 focus on this team has to be the development of Bo Nix. Every single decision must be centered around that. Is (at very best) a 2025 4th round pick worth losing a vet WR that will always be in the right spot, a 3rd down machine and a great blocker in the run game?

If the coaches think he's not the same player, I get the decision. But if it's for the reason you've said, it's awful roster management.

• Like 1

Well, we complain all we want about the decision not to keep Tim Patrick.  So far, every decision that has been made, that we have all doubted, has wound up being the right decision.  The culture of this organization is completely different now than it was just a season ago, and I love it.  

However, my wish list for Tim Patrick?  I'd like to see him traded for a tight end or some offensive line depth. 

Not shocked Bo Nix was named the starter, and not surprised Patrick was let go. I felt both of those things would happen early on in the league year/after the draft, and now here we are.

Perine being let go actually surprised me a bit because I don't think we have another 3rd down back as good as him, but for the money he's being paid, it's not shocking.

Tim Patrick doesn't surprise me. I think you have to divorce the guy as a human from his contractual/on-field situation. Everyone loves TP. His story is awesome, he worked hard, got paid, but unfortunately got hurt multiple times. His contract outweighs his production, we have younger guys here that a) need the experience and the PT and b) are cheaper and given the Russ situation you're going to have some casualties. TP isn't a ST contributor and his skillset is duplicative.

I hope he gets a chance to play for a contender. He'd be great on the Lions.

Our WR room loses experience but gives a younger guy (Vele/Johnson?/Franklin) a chance to step up. I think it's all a bit moot anyway to some extent because I feel we end up making a big WR splash next year if Nix looks good.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

His contract outweighs his production

This move only saves $1.2m against the cap. After the reports in camp and what we've seen in preseason, did a single one of us think that his production and veteran leadership isn't worth $1.2m?

I dunno. I think this roster gets worse with this move. I think it puts a LOT of heat on Reynolds / Vele / Franklin to produce this year. If they don't, we're going to look back on this move for sure.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Wow, ILB Jonas Griffith , OLB Thomas Incoom, WR Brandon Johnson and DL Matt Henningsen all on waivers. Guess Payton is cleaning house

Henningsen and Griffith were both in our top 51 contacts and save about 1 million each. Although they could definitely be replaced by players who make more than that but I was just curious and thought others might as well. 

I'm sure we'll try to get Johnson, Incoom and Henningsen (is he PS eligible?) onto our PS. I was excited about Griffith but unfortunately injuries kept him from making any impact with us. 

7 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

I fully agree with lomax - I don't get the Patrick cut/trade - with a rookie QB you need dependable receivers and Patrick is one of the best in that department.

Really?  Tim Patrick has been injured the last two seasons; not sure how dependable he is?