AB vs Gore for thr HOF

Ab v Gore  

34 members have voted

1. 1. More hof worthy

• AB
    • Gore

Imo it's not close that AB should be in the HOF and a 1st Ballot. He was one season away from discussion of being in the top 5 all time. He is mental but that shouldn't be held against him, it was wrong to keep TO out for a year. If they belong they belong imo, and if we hold the man against their talent we should eliminate a lot poppe LT, Jim Brown, OJ. Rey Lewis.  

Gore was elite for maybe one season and a good runningback for as long as anyone ever, but really the tail of his career was consistent but mediocre. he is not imo a hofer. The media loves and him and are intent on getting him in.

They will be coming up around the same time, not the same year perhaps but within a season or two 

Gore the modern day Emmitt smith. Bunch of nothing. Most overrated back the last 20 years. If he sniffes the HOF I’ll cry… 

Put Clinton Portis in the HOF ima die on this hill. If he never left Den, dude might have broken all the records. There has never been a better back to run that shanny system

than Portis. 

1 hour ago, El Ramster said:

Gore the modern day Emmitt smith. Bunch of nothing. Most overrated back the last 20 years. If he sniffes the HOF I’ll cry… 

The media fall over themselves praising Gore. 

1 hour ago, El Ramster said:

Put Clinton Portis in the HOF ima die on this hill. If he never left Den, dude might have broken all the records. There has never been a better back to run that shanny system

than Portis. 

I'd have Portis in. Washington was a curse for him.

• Like 1

Antonio Brown was one of the best ever at his position. Frank was not, but Frank was uniquely long career and was among the top few running backs for a long stretch while finishing as a massive stat accumulator when the position no longer touches anywhere near those numbers in the era he starred and today. Frank was also beloved and the face of his franchise.

I see folks claiming Gores longevity is a reason he shouldn't go in, but if argue that it's the single biggest reason he should go in. For a position that absolutely wrecks players and has such a short shelf like, this dude was able to remain consistent and productive well beyond any reasonable expectation.

5 hours ago, drew39k said:

I see folks claiming Gores longevity is a reason he shouldn't go in, but if argue that it's the single biggest reason he should go in. For a position that absolutely wrecks players and has such a short shelf like, this dude was able to remain consistent and productive well beyond any reasonable expectation.

Here's the problem I have with the longevity argument - he was a below average RB his final 6 years.  Why should we give him credit for teams with bad running games having to rely on him?  

13,000 YFS in 10 years is impressive, but Matt Forte had more (14468) in 2 fewer games, just as many TDs, and far less fumbles.  Gore deserves credit for keeping his body right to stay and play for 6 more years, but is that really enough to propel someone to the Hall of Fame (as I doubt Forte will make it), how good they actually were those 6 years be damned?  Longevity should only mean something (in terms of making the HOF) if in those final years, you were still one of the best players at your position 

Edited by iknowcool

Prime AB is the best ever behind prime Jerry Rice. If you’re gonna take in careers as a whole, than Randy and T.O. go over AB.

Gore was awesome.

Both are HoF’s. Neither are first ballot though. AB because he cut his career slightly short, and his attitude. 

Gore not first ballot because he’s not an AP, Barry Sanders, etc level player, but he should make second ballot. 

4 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Here's the problem I have with the longevity argument - he was a below average RB his final 6 years.  Why should we give him credit for teams with bad running games having to rely on him?  

13,000 YFS in 10 years is impressive, but Matt Forte had more (14468) in 2 fewer games, just as many TDs, and far less fumbles.  Gore deserves credit for keeping his body right to stay and play for 6 more years, but is that really enough to propel someone to the Hall of Fame (as I doubt Forte will make it), how good they actually were those 6 years be damned?  Longevity should only mean something (in terms of making the HOF) if in those final years, you were still one of the best players at your position 

Honestly, it won't even matter. I get the argument you're making, don't disagree with it, but the bulk numbers are just going to get him in. Especially as we move further and further away from running backs who are capable or able to do it. 16000 rushing yards (3rd all time), and 4th all time in YFS is just going to get it done. 

I do think it helps that the media has tended to love him though.