Raider Training Camp 2024

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

And both are wildly inconsistent, miss a lot of passes they should make and are prone to mistakes. 

They will win 7-8 games because of inconsistent QB play. I can count 3 games all season in which the QBs are equal. Panthers, Broncos. And in both games, that's debatable. 

Defense alone isn't winning 10 games. 

The key is the offensive line. If they can protect and open holes in the run game, The QBs will be elevated with the playmaker talent around them. 

10 games is possible. The way I look at is most teams have about 3-4 swing games a year. Random outcomes , fumbles , bad kickers , referees mistakes that cause teams to win games they shouldn’t. 

• Like 1

I'll be ecstatic with an 8 win season. Especially if it's held back by avg qb play. To me it would mean the roster and staff is ready or very close to being ready, to support a rookie qb.  Getting one of the top 3 qbs in next years draft will be much easier imo. And if qb play is the major issue no way they don't get aggressive to get one of them. 

Raiders have to be one of the toughest and most physical teams in the NFL and have a lot of turnover luck. That is the key to success for them this season. Have to be physical on the OL and push players around. Have to be physical at every defensive position. 

Think they can win 10 if those things happen but also think this team can win 5-6 games. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

I'll be ecstatic with an 8 win season. Especially if it's held back by avg qb play. To me it would mean the roster and staff is ready or very close to being ready, to support a rookie qb.  Getting one of the top 3 qbs in next years draft will be much easier imo. And if qb play is the major issue no way they don't get aggressive to get one of them. 

I think the fact that we didn't use a first round pick on a quarterback this year is going to help us in the long run

4 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Where are all the McDaniels supporters now?

To be fair, I don't think there were any McDaniels ‘supporters’ per se, just a few guys like myself and @big_palooka who felt it would be reasonable to give him a fair shot, a reasonable amount of time as HC and not jump straight to conclusions (even though those pre conceived ideas turned out to be absolutely correct of course).

I don’t think either of us would have picked McDaniels as our HC given alternatives. But as he was given the gig, I think it was not unreasonable to actually wait and see what happened before making a judgement. 

• Like 6

In reality, winning 8-10 games in spite of the QB would be detrimental to the future? Basically guaranteeing you're not drafting a top tier QB in 2025 due to draft position. Left with second and third options again. 

This team is feeling a little in purgatory right now. Decent roster to win some games, not bad enough to get a top draft pick. Unless the QB position is completely awful, this team is going to have to get creative at QB moving forward.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

In reality, winning 8-10 games in spite of the QB would be detrimental to the future? Basically guaranteeing you're not drafting a top tier QB in 2025 due to draft position. Left with second and third options again. 

This team is feeling a little in purgatory right now. Decent roster to win some games, not bad enough to get a top draft pick. Unless the QB position is completely awful, this team is going to have to get creative at QB moving forward.  

Well, that depends in who is picking in front of us.

Teams that picked a QB in this year's draft most likely not picking again a QB next year even if they struggle in their Rookie season.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Darbsk said:

To be fair, I don't think there were any McDaniels ‘supporters’ per se, just a few guys like myself and @big_palooka who felt it would be reasonable to give him a fair shot, a reasonable amount of time as HC and not jump straight to conclusions (even though those pre conceived ideas turned out to be absolutely correct of course).

I don’t think either of us would have picked McDaniels as our HC given alternatives. But as he was given the gig, I think it was not unreasonable to actually wait and see what happened before making a judgement. 

Exactly, I had the wait and see approach with JM just as I am doing with AP.  JM called some good plays, called some good half's of football but he was a terrible coach overall who was despised by his players and had a massive ego.  He lacked consistency as a play caller which was obvious after the first season.  Can AP coach, who knows but what he has shown is that players will lay it on the line for him which is way more than they did for JM who was a complete joke and should never sniff a HC gig in the NFL ever again.  

I called JM out his good and bad plays but was reserving judgement until after the season to render an opinion. After the season was over the bad far outweighed the good and it was obvious he wasn't the answer.  Terrible play calling overall, no consistency, zero accountability, massive ego, terrible drafting and FA signings, terrible contracts....  The guy was a massive bum and is right where he belongs, in the unemployment line. 

I love all the pre season hype on here, it's laughable.  AOC or Minchew have a ceiling of around 25 TD's which will limit what this team can do.  This will be Adams last season of elite play as he will be 32 next year and considering the poor QB play we will have his last psychically elite season which will be wasted with below average stats in comparison to his career averages. 

I really hope Bowers can live up to the hype but I will base my judgement on his production.  How many TE's in the NFL over the last three years have averaged stats to warrant a top 15 pick?  One Travis Kelce...  Bowers better produce on that level for the pick to make sense considering we had massive holes to fill at other positions (QB, OT, CB) and already had a 2nd rounder from last year on the roster.  Mayer as the full time starter would average around 600 and 4 so Bowers needs to produce at a much higher level than that for the pick to make sense.  Let's hope he can. 

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

While your not wrong - but I do think there is a difference between where we are now and where we have been in the recent past. The roster is better, has stars in the most important positions bar QB, emerging high quality starters with leadership qualities and some decent depth with youthful competition across the board.

Add to that a player driven culture and we really are just a QB away from competing. It doesn’t feel like it has when the roster was just patchy all over and with no depth.

I wanted a QB more than anything this off-season, but I understand not mortgaging your future if you aren’t totally sold on the player and being able to add Bowers and JPJ as long term pieces in the meantime.

You only do all of the above if you are then willing to spend what is needed to go and get one of the top QBs next year though. And I do think from hearing Telesco speak after the draft that they plan to do just that.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Purgatory is the word I used to describe DC leaving and trying to have people understand that replacing someone just to replace them isn't a viable solution unless you have a better scenario right in front of you.  We didn't. This isn't a DC conversion though.  

I have a surging feeling Dak Prescott is absolutely in play in the off season. He's one of the better QBs in the league, but it's going to be 60-65 million annually. I believe you're right when it comes to roster and the win/loss column.  Good roster without the QB to support it.  Mark isn't going to want to waste an aging Adams.  Or Maxx and Wilk in their primes.  

I see him shelling out those millions in that Vegas money via bonus checks in order to keep the roster in place and lure Dak to the silver and black.  

That's the logical (ish) thing to do here.  Keep stacking the roster in the draft and spend the dough.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jerry said:

Responding to the bold in order.

Defense was clearly the biggest question mark during DC's tenure with the Raiders other than in 2016.  I think they were legit ranked the worst in the NFL during his time on the team.  They literally turned it around the year after he left.  Lol.  I will admit that maybe some of that had to do with his play.  But still, they were terrible during his time here.

No one should have been hyping up Jimmy G., no one.  It shouldn't have been allowed.  I wish there was a way to give a deflated football to those posts showing my disdain for posts hyping up Jimmy G. (like how we have the football for posts we like).

We are all homers. 💯

What's ironic (and partly sad/infuriating) is that we probably would have snuck into the playoffs last year with Carr at QB.

Edited by RaidersForever

3 hours ago, RaidersForever said:

What's ironic (and partly sad/infuriating) is that we probably would have snuck into the playoffs last year with Carr at QB.

we beat the Texans too. Lamar Jackson chokes in the playoffs, so who know what happens if we played them. We play KC tough too. Would have been interesting 

3 hours ago, RaidersForever said:

I do not believe we would have.  Carr skill-wise is a better QB but there is something there that rubs people the wrong way.  I do not think guys want to play for him.  Even looking at the per-game stats he did not play much better than a rookie 5th round pick in his last year here.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Should have given a low draft pick for the Bears former QB, he had been ascending, tho slowly, but would have taken a chance that the bulb turns on and let him compete here.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Darbsk said:

He was guaranteed to fail. I'm just glad we canned him before he started getting rid of people.

• Like 1