What are you expectations for rookie Bo?

Scoundrel

• Scoundrel changed the title to What are you expectations for rookie Bo?

I'm expecting his rookie season overall to look like the kind of season a slightly above average 3 year vet would have. Some occasional struggles but will rarely look lost. Because of his lengthy college experience, I expect he will hit his ceiling much faster than most QBs. I think by mid season next year we will know exactly what we have with him. How high that ceiling is will be the interesting part.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1234567 said:

I'm expecting his rookie season overall to look like the kind of season a slightly above average 3 year vet would have. Some occasional struggles but will rarely look lost. Because of his lengthy college experience, I expect he will hit his ceiling much faster than most QBs. I think by mid season next year we will know exactly what we have with him. How high that ceiling is will be the interesting part.

I think this makes the most sense to me. I don't know exactly what this means record-wise. Like I don't know if I care if we are a 6 or 7 win team if I'm seeing steady progression from Bo.

It's not like we have a deep team or as others have mentioned, we need 2 or 3 more probowl players AFTER Bo to be a perennial contender.

I know Sean's scheme will protect him and from what I've seen, I feel pretty confident he will execute within it. I'm curious to see how he progresses specifically with footwork/planting his base, making off schedule decisions, and medium to long throws (less than handful per game).

I guess the feeling I'm looking for in the broader of senses is 1) am I confident this is our guys moving forward? And 2) what sort of holes do we still have based on his strengths/limitations?

• Like 2

I’m expecting some good games, and some not so good games. If I see a year of two steps forward with only the occasional step back, so to speak, I’ll be excited. He’s not gonna learn unless he stumbles once in a while. I have a tempered expectation of him. But in saying that, I would add that his play in the preseason has displayed he has the overall makeup(physical and mental), that having those “steady improvement” expectations are not out of line, to say the least. It will more than likely be an up and down year from a team perspective. But regardless of wins and losses, improvement and staying healthy are top on the list.

Personally, I’d be thrilled if he starts all 17 games. Not that I think Sean will have a quick hook, but it’s a long season. If we’re still trotting Bo out there in December, that means he’s giving us the best chance to win games, and if he’s giving us the best chance to win games in December, his career progression arrow will undoubtedly still be pointing up. 

I think that would be a gigantic win. And there will be peaks and valleys, but imagine if he was good enough to not have a single ‘should Zach Wilson get a look next week?’ news cycle. I think that’s wishful thinking, as two subpar starts in a row will absolutely get that chatter going. But yeah, 17 starts would be a huge indicator of a successful career, in my opinion.

• Like 4

Truthfully, I think Bo is going to be an efficient, albeit not spectacular, QB his rookie year. I expect Sean to protect him with a run game, some easy reads - using a lot of P/A to cut the field in half for reads as I mentioned last week. I think we won't see a lot of "wow" plays but I think we will see a QB who can operate efficiently and avoid making a lot of mistakes. I think we will see him progress over the course of the season. If he can stay healthy and play all 17 games, in an efficient manner, I would consider that a win. 

I think that with average injury luck - last year an anomaly relative to the historic mean - this is a team that can top out around .500. Will we be a playoff team? Probably not, but I think we will be competitive, in most games, and playing meaningful football after Thanksgiving. 

• Like 2

On 8/26/2024 at 6:27 AM, broncosfan_101 said:

Personally, I’d be thrilled if he starts all 17 games. Not that I think Sean will have a quick hook, but it’s a long season. If we’re still trotting Bo out there in December, that means he’s giving us the best chance to win games, and if he’s giving us the best chance to win games in December, his career progression arrow will undoubtedly still be pointing up. 

I think that would be a gigantic win. And there will be peaks and valleys, but imagine if he was good enough to not have a single ‘should Zach Wilson get a look next week?’ news cycle. I think that’s wishful thinking, as two subpar starts in a row will absolutely get that chatter going. But yeah, 17 starts would be a huge indicator of a successful career, in my opinion.

This seems perfectly reasonable to me. I actually posted prior to TC / preseason that I thought we'd start Stidham for basically this exact reason, in that when things aren't going well, the most popular man in town is the backup QB.

I was very keen to avoid the October / November chatter of, "Bo just isn't ready and he's been really poor, let's get someone else in". So, if we do avoid that as you say, I would certainly consider that success.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lomaxgrUK said:

This seems perfectly reasonable to me. I actually posted prior to TC / preseason that I thought we'd start Stidham for basically this exact reason, in that when things aren't going well, the most popular man in town is the backup QB.

I was very keen to avoid the October / November chatter of, "Bo just isn't ready and he's been really poor, let's get someone else in". So, if we do avoid that as you say, I would certainly consider that success.

I think Bo would have to be bad to the point of irreparably damaging his confidence for Sean to pull him. Some of the roster moves we have made, not just in the last 24 hours, but since the beginning of the calendar year suggest they're going to keep around guys who will still be valuable in a couple years when we are contending, and jettisoning those who are at or past their prime, allowing us to get the younger players valuable playing time in hopes of microwaving their development. This is the approach I have argued for since the end of last season and I am pleased to see it is the route Sean and George are taking. This year we will take some lumps but I think we will be better for it in the long run. 

• Like 1

I don't see any way Bo is not the starter at the end of the year barring injury. Neither Stidham nor Wilson are under contract beyond this year that it doesn't really make any sense to play either of them. If Bo is hot garbage (not expecting that) then we'll go into the season next year KNOWING we still need to find a QB along with a high draft pick and a ton of cap space (Thank you team for taking the brunt of the Russ cap hit this year!).  

23 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Truthfully, I think Bo is going to be an efficient, albeit not spectacular, QB his rookie year. I expect Sean to protect him with a run game, some easy reads - using a lot of P/A to cut the field in half for reads as I mentioned last week. I think we won't see a lot of "wow" plays but I think we will see a QB who can operate efficiently and avoid making a lot of mistakes. I think we will see him progress over the course of the season. If he can stay healthy and play all 17 games, in an efficient manner, I would consider that a win. 

I think that with average injury luck - last year an anomaly relative to the historic mean - this is a team that can top out around .500. Will we be a playoff team? Probably not, but I think we will be competitive, in most games, and playing meaningful football after Thanksgiving. 

I think this, and 101's post are where I net out as far as my expectations for Bo.

I do not think he'll be in Stroud's stratosphere in terms of numbers, but I think if he's smart with the ball and we get some good play out of the OL/RBs, along with some smart offensive scheming, we can have a middle of the pack offense. I'm less concerned with our record and more concerned with player development. If we win 6 games but Nix develops along the way, that's a solid season for me. 

• Like 1