Should the NFL have a mechanism for protesting games?

Apparition

The NBA and MLB both have rules in place allowing teams to dispute the results of games if a call is made that they feel directly impacts the outcome. A team can file protest, and if that protest is deemed valid by the league office (which is rare), the game in question can be replayed from the point at which the erroneous ruling was made. The NFL has no such avenue of redress for teams. But given the lousy state of officiating, should it? A rule as all-encompassing as baseball's or basketballs would be pretty much impossible to institute in the NFL, but would something more limited in scope make sense? For instance, limit it to if the New York office completely blows a call on an automatic replay within the final two minutes of a game that's within 1 score?

15 hours ago, Starless said:

The NBA and MLB both have rules in place allowing teams to dispute the results of games if a call is made that they feel directly impacts the outcome. A team can file protest, and if that protest is deemed valid by the league office (which is rare), the game in question can be replayed from the point at which the erroneous ruling was made

I've never seen this in my 30 years of watching sports. Seems like window dressing at best, something that's written down but will never be enacted.

I wouldn't say no to it, but my expectation would be that it's never up for consideration. Teams are now mentally programmed to think "on to Seattle" after every game, so coaches and staff wouldn't want to lose preparation time for their next opponent to play out an extra 6:03 of a game that still could go either way. It would be an option, but HCs would much rather watch the tape and prep for the following week vs rehash a past game.

Resetting an NFL game from a certain point would be insane compared to basketball and Baseball teams doing it. All momentum is gone, you have even more players and staff to drag back to a certain point, there won't be any fans showing up, and most likely, the play is taking place near the very end of the game. Any play worth redoing could very well be the only play they come back to play. That's a lot of effort put into what could take literally 20 seconds of play time if that.

Instead, the NFL should just work better at getting the rules straightened out, and getting calls right. They already have the ability to conduct all reviews from their headquarters with a team of professionals rather than one guy on the field carrying a very heavy weight on his shoulders.

Well, well, maybe the NFL could harken back to the Antiquities for a fair way to settle disputed games!

"Let's settle this in the old manner- your best fighter against mine!"

Image result for Troy Movie King Agamemnon

Imagine, say, a Fight To The Death between Vontaze Burfict and Ndamokung Suh! 

Image result for Vontaze BurfictImage result for ndamukong suh

Yes they should. I doubt NFL would ever start a game again but it should be put in place to make the owners feel better.

It would never happen tho cause if such a rule was made then the Patriots we have to play each game twice and could potentially go 0-16 lol

Short answer: NO

Long answer: Hell NO

The result of a NFL game is determined by a number of factors, all of them very specific and unreplayable. The mere idea of replaying a game, and thinking of a consistent outcome, without a single factor, is preposterous.

4 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I've never seen this in my 30 years of watching sports. Seems like window dressing at best, something that's written down but will never be enacted.

I wouldn't say no to it, but my expectation would be that it's never up for consideration. Teams are now mentally programmed to think "on to Seattle" after every game, so coaches and staff wouldn't want to lose preparation time for their next opponent to play out an extra 6:03 of a game that still could go either way. It would be an option, but HCs would much rather watch the tape and prep for the following week vs rehash a past game.

pretty much this. I've never actually seen anything come of the "faux" protests that they have in place in those sports. As ET says, seems like nothing more than window dressing

4 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I've never seen this in my 30 years of watching sports

Ironically, 610 radio in Houston was talking about this (Rockets are currently protesting their loss to the Clippers based on a foul called on an incorrect player - the guy who SHOULD have been called for the foul would have been ejected for his 6th foul of the night).

Last time this was enacted was in 2008, in a Lakers game.

Another thing to consider - it's easier to enact this in NBA/MLB because those teams play daily and you can make up these moments in other games. Can't do so in football where you play once a week and won't see the team again on the same field.

Archived