2018 NFL Draft Thread: Jets clinch 6th overall pick

jetskid007

13 hours ago, SDotNova said:

If the Jets get Cousins, I'm liking the idea of going Fitzpatrick with the 6th. We can have him play the slot and have a similar role to Tyrann Mathieu. Jets can than mostly play 3-3-5 or a 4-2-5 Nickel Defense. If we can also get an edge and an outside CB, our defense could be the real deal. Fitzpatrick can cover the slot, play the run like a LB, and blitz. Todd Bowles can literally have a field day since Fitzpatrick, Lee, Davis, and Adams are all good blitzers. 

Why not just play Minkah at CB straight up, he can certainly do it and Definitely has the potential to be the next Jaylen Ramsey.

2 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

Why not just play Minkah at CB straight up, he can certainly do it and Definitely has the potential to be the next Jaylen Ramsey.

That’s my thoughts. You draft Mincah to play CB mostly, but it does give some flexibility in the secondary with him, Adams and Maye. Mincah is not who I want at 6 but his talent is worthy of the spot. We just need other things imo. I also see us addressing CB in FA where he isn’t a need come draft day.

Not feeling a CB with the sixth overall pick at all, and I am surprised that some people here do want that move.

The QB I want is Lamar Jackson. I don't know if it is remotely possible to land him with anything other than the sixth overall pick, but if that is the case then sign me up. If we could draft Barkley and Jackson, we would instantly become a dangerous offense that teams may have to fear. I don't know what we'd have to do to get them both, though...I assume we'd have to surrender both seconds to get back into the first round late. 

Otherwise, it would be amazing if we went BPA at sixth overall, Jackson and Sony Michel in Round 2. That would be a big win for Maccagnan.

I am interested to see how Mariota does against NE this weekend. If he plays well, and if he gives Tennessee a chance to stay in the game, then that might give Jets'  brass something more to think about re: Jackson. For me, I believe Mariota's performance last week at KC has ALREADY improved Jackson's draft stock.

I do like Mayfield, too. I'd be OK with him at sixth. I want to see more of the other guys before making up my mind on them. 

Cant get behind Fitzpatrick at 6. Enough is enough with the defensive picks, especially DBs. Unless it’s Chubb I do not want a defensive player with that pick period. Maybe if Fitzpatrick was a Patrick Peterson type prospect but it’s time to focus on the offense. I would honestly be happier even with a guy like Nelson or whoever the best T is on the board. Drafting all these defensive players have gotten us no where except the 25th ranked defense so I’d like to see a different approach. If Barkley were there and we passed on him for Minkah I think my will may break.

Also want nothing to do with Lamar Jackson. He’s a crazy athletic freak yes, but he’s still a sub 60% college passer and I’m done with that. IMO anyone thinking he’s going to be Vick level of good is really taking a chance. In the right system tailored to him with the right coaching he can definitely succeed. I just don’t see the Jets being that team. I know Manish reported a while back the jets had no interest in him and one of my old school buddies with a connect in the Jets said “Manish Mehta actually has that one right” 

Mayfield still really scares me but I think he’s probably the most likely pick if they stay pat. I definitely don’t agree with the Russell Wilson comparisons but he gives off that vibe similar to Watson where he just seems like he can play the game. Not sure what you call that. Draft process could change all this obviously

14 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Cant get behind Fitzpatrick at 6. Enough is enough with the defensive picks, especially DBs. Unless it’s Chubb I do not want a defensive player with that pick period. Maybe if Fitzpatrick was a Patrick Peterson type prospect but it’s time to focus on the offense. I would honestly be happier even with a guy like Nelson or whoever the best T is on the board. Drafting all these defensive players have gotten us no where except the 25th ranked defense so I’d like to see a different approach. If Barkley were there and we passed on him for Minkah I think my will may break.

Also want nothing to do with Lamar Jackson. He’s a crazy athletic freak yes, but he’s still a sub 60% college passer and I’m done with that. IMO anyone thinking he’s going to be Vick level of good is really taking a chance. In the right system tailored to him with the right coaching he can definitely succeed. I just don’t see the Jets being that team. I know Manish reported a while back the jets had no interest in him and one of my old school buddies with a connect in the Jets said “Manish Mehta actually has that one right” 

Mayfield still really scares me but I think he’s probably the most likely pick if they stay pat. I definitely don’t agree with the Russell Wilson comparisons but he gives off that vibe similar to Watson where he just seems like he can play the game. Not sure what you call that. Draft process could change all this obviously

I can get behind Fitzpatrick at 6 IF we invest heavily in offense in FA.  

1 hour ago, GangGreen420 said:

None QBs for me

Chubb

Nelson (unless we sign Norwell)

Barkley

Fitzpatrick

I could see 3 QBs going before us if we sign Cousins. I think Chubb and Barkley are likely the other 2 players taken. If we signed Norwell, Jensen, & Cousins in FA, I would be fine with Fitzpatrick at 6. Again not really an ideal situation but he looks like a stud. It would likely be a coin-flip between Fitzpatrick and Key for me. I think it makes more sense to take CB in FA though so at that point I wouldn't take him.

3 hours ago, barnaby8787 said:

I can get behind Fitzpatrick at 6 IF we invest heavily in offense in FA.  

This is pretty much how I feel. If we land a QB and a center in FA, CB becomes our biggest need. Right now our starting cornerback duo is Burris and Roberts. Let's hope we sign a Fuller or a Butler while also bringing back Claiborne

1 hour ago, SDotNova said:

This is pretty much how I feel. If we land a QB and a center in FA, CB becomes our biggest need. Right now our starting cornerback duo is Burris and Roberts. Let's hope we sign a Fuller or a Butler while also bringing back Claiborne

I’d say an edge rusher is our biggest defensive need, not CB (Assuming we bring back Claiborne).

Getting consistent pressure on the QB will make our secondary play better in itself.

2 hours ago, SDotNova said:

Butler and Fitzpatrick would be a beautiful duo. Saban and Belichick coached, tough man to man defenders with Maye/Adams behind them. I'd let Claiborne walk for that duo.

FA really going to pave the way for who we pick in the draft. I think it could be a heavy offensive free agency which I am fine with. Historically, and especially with this coaching staff, I really dont mind going with the defensive top picks for the fact that I have a lot more faith in them developing premium draft picks on that side of the ball. I know thats sad, but we cant miss with the top 10 pick, even if all 3 go to defense. We need the talent anyway we can get it. I agree always going defense is annoying and it creates the problem on offense, but we just cant same to develop offensive players like we do on defense. This offseason is so important, god i hope we dont screw it up because its getting brutal trying to rebuild every other year or two.

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

FA really going to pave the way for who we pick in the draft. I think it could be a heavy offensive free agency which I am fine with. Historically, and especially with this coaching staff, I really dont mind going with the defensive top picks for the fact that I have a lot more faith in them developing premium draft picks on that side of the ball. I know thats sad, but we cant miss with the top 10 pick, even if all 3 go to defense. We need the talent anyway we can get it. I agree always going defense is annoying and it creates the problem on offense, but we just cant same to develop offensive players like we do on defense. This offseason is so important, god i hope we dont screw it up because its getting brutal trying to rebuild every other year or two.

You are 100% right, the FA period is the key to whom we draft. The whole key to our off season is to get a QB, everything else comes second. I have the same worry you have, we can't screw up our draft picks this year. I would be shock if three QB weren't taken before we pick at #6. If we don't get a QB before the draft, with is very probable the draft is going to be nerve racking. My biggest worry is some team is going to trade up and take the Colts pick and go QB. The Colts need players one player is not going to turn them around, they need  multiple picks to turn them around. Mac is going to earn his money this year, if he screws this up he is gone.

This may not be the most agreed with idea but I’m really coming round to the idea of us signing Sam Bradford.

If we miss out on Cousins (signing him should be the sole focus this offseason before anything else) I like the idea of signing a vet QB who has shown real quality at times and also isn’t over the age of 60 with no upside (Sorry Josh).

I just think going into the draft with Hack,Petty and Josh gives us no flexibility or negotiating strength in trades. Everyone will know we need a QB. If we sign Bradford it still gives us the option to draft a Rosen, Darnold or Mayfield. Or even trade back and get Jackson. But we could go BPA and strengthen in other areas. 

The amount of cash we have this offseason is ridiculous. We need to get a QB in FA who has upside and can start day one. Cousins is obviously the home run signing but we need contingency plans. 

Anyone agree/disagree? 

Archived