Kirk Cousins - Should He Stay or Should He Go?

Ghostnote

37 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

At least until the NFLPA steps in. I would expect them to do so as they did for Walter Jones when they changed it so the third time a non-QB was franchised it would be at the QB tender. At minimum I would expect them to make the transition tag only usable once, so there would be the 44% increase to force the issue along (assuming that it is not limited).

CBA is not up until 2020.

NFLPA can't do squat until then as these are the rules under the current CBA. So it will be too late for Kirk by then.

1 hour ago, BroncoSojia said:

I hope he gets paid, just not by the Broncos. I don't think he's good enough to offset the amount of talent we would have to cut loose in order to bring him in.

I suppose it depends on what that first year cap hit is going to be. The only way I could see that happening though is if Washington basically just gives up and decides to trade him to Denver and the Broncos work out a contract with a lighter base salary the first year with an uber signing bonus to offset. Your cap situation isn't ideal, but you could easily move on from Talib or Roby and free up 11 or 9 million in space. Then you'd still have the other one left along with Harris. Not great, but at least you're working from a position of strength. Emmanuel Sanders could be a guy to move that will free up a little over 5 million. He's good, but down season this year, may be able to get a little something in trade. But overall, I think the only way to reasonably make that work for the Broncos would be via a trade since I don't think they can offer a deal that Washington won't match at this point if he's on the transition tag

1 minute ago, Thaiphoon said:

CBA is not up until 2020.

NFLPA can't do squat until then as these are the rules under the current CBA. So it will be too late for Kirk by then.

I was just saying it would likely be an issue to be brought up.

Transition tag this year for him is $28 mil min

Next year another transition tag would be $33.6 mil, etc.

It won't get keep escalating, they don't want to keep sinking that much per year in on him, but I would bet the idea of making the transition tag a once per career use a threat to pass in 2020 so players are not stuck in a team they have such issues with. If I was WAS I would try to transition tag him and try to trade him. He is worth more than the 3rd that they could get as a compensatory pick.

16 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Anyone wanna give a realistic way Cousins gets out of Washington? He isn’t signing a one year deal, end of story. He has been looking for a long term contract for three years now, he isn’t going to accept a one year contract when he could sign somewhere long term. 

If he really hates DC he would say it publicly and make the process as painful as possible for the club so the fans would reject him. The only things we have heard publicly from him is that he is happy there. 

So the question comes, what price does DC not match on a long term deal? I don’t think any team offers him a contract that they don’t also sign. He will be the highest paid player in football, I guarantee it, the question is how much he gets paid. Maybe a team goes absolutely nuts and offers him something so large Washington can’t match, but that likely would ruin that teams cap and be a complete overpay. 

I  agree, he will be looking for a 4 or 5 year deal for big money. Washington can just continue to franchise him on 1 year deals and Cousins will be taking an immense risk, he never gets seriously injured. This way, Washington is never on the hook for paying him big dollars should he get seriously injured or retires.

58 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I was just saying it would likely be an issue to be brought up.

Transition tag this year for him is $28 mil min

Next year another transition tag would be $33.6 mil, etc.

It won't get keep escalating, they don't want to keep sinking that much per year in on him, but I would bet the idea of making the transition tag a once per career use a threat to pass in 2020 so players are not stuck in a team they have such issues with. If I was WAS I would try to transition tag him and try to trade him. He is worth more than the 3rd that they could get as a compensatory pick.

The NFLPA doesn't care enough about the handful of players that could be effected by this rule... for them to concede something else more valuable, when a future deal is done.

1 hour ago, Iamcanadian said:

I  agree, he will be looking for a 4 or 5 year deal for big money. Washington can just continue to franchise him on 1 year deals and Cousins will be taking an immense risk, he never gets seriously injured. This way, Washington is never on the hook for paying him big dollars should he get seriously injured or retires.

Doesn't the number jump up to $50 million in 2019 if they plan on continually franchising him?

Or is it 42?

On 1/1/2018 at 6:58 PM, SammyBradwater said:

If I were Cousins I'd move on ASAP. The Redskins disrespected the heck out of him. The organization is a bit of a dumpster fire anyway, it's better for his career. If they try to tag him again I don't think anyone would blame him for doing whatever it takes to get away.

They gave him $44M over two years and offered him a long-term contract that he didn't even counter offer. It's not like they said "hey, screw you Kirk". And the reason the team lost Garçon and Jackson was because of Kirks franchise tag last year. 

He should go to Cleveland.

They have $100 million in cap space.

Hed be the best quarterback they’ve had in 30 years.

Hed be an immediate fan favorite.

Their OL is pretty solid and Gordon, Coleman, and Njoku would be a decent weapon corps.

Also he would be stupid to come here.

9 hours ago, MWil23 said:

He should go to Cleveland.

They have $100 million in cap space.

Hed be the best quarterback they’ve had in 30 years.

Hed be an immediate fan favorite.

Their OL is pretty solid and Gordon, Coleman, and Njoku would be a decent weapon corps.

Also he would be stupid to come here.

That would be interesting. If he did that they could take Chubb and Barkley. Might be a decent base

3 hours ago, I <3 Faulk said:

Did the NFL ban the poison pill? I remember something about it not being allowed anymore, but I'm not sure. I expect him back in Washington unless a team can throw in some crazy stipulation into the deal. 

Yes the poison pill was banished a while ago.

I do have a question. When they throw the offer with the transition tag is it based on AAV or do they actually submit a contract showing the yearly breakdown, bonuses, etc? AAV would play in WAS's favor tremendously.

On 1/3/2018 at 12:45 AM, lavar703 said:

They gave him $44M over two years and offered him a long-term contract that he didn't even counter offer. It's not like they said "hey, screw you Kirk". And the reason the team lost Garçon and Jackson was because of Kirks franchise tag last year. 

They gave him $44M over two years because they didn't wanna give him $100M over 5 he owes them nothing for it. And the long term deal was way below market value.

Archived