8th pick in the draft

Rogerthat

7 minutes ago, pigsooie5 said:

I want not a thing to do with Calvin Ridley at #8. I could think of 20 prospects I'd rather have there. It would be a massive and obvious reach, although Pace being a BPA guy seems to be BS at this point. 

I don't think it would be that big a reach when you combine talent and need...there isn't a WR in this draft who fits that scheme better...Ridley's floor is Jeremy Maclin.

14 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

WR is a big risk in the top 10, as we have seen.

Last season there were 3 top 10 WRs and all were horrendous this season.

Ridley would need to show elite physical tools.

Look at how KC was assembled, I would think we are going to follow suit. 

Chubb

Fitzpatrick 

Best OL on the board (if valued at 8)

Trade down

That's my "board" 

13 minutes ago, G08 said:

Look at how KC was assembled, I would think we are going to follow suit. 

Chubb

Fitzpatrick 

Best OL on the board (if valued at 8)

Trade down

That's my "board" 

In Philly they soent 1st and 2nd round picks at WR.

In KC they gave 50 million to Maclin.

While I don’t see a top 10 WR as being a need, they got lucky with Hill. I still think they would invest at WR if Hill has not come out of nowhere.

46 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I don't think it would be that big a reach when you combine talent and need...there isn't a WR in this draft who fits that scheme better...Ridley's floor is Jeremy Maclin.

There is no worse position to draft in the first round then WR. It is the easiest position to find in the later rounds. If you draft one in the Top 10 he better be Julio Jones or Calvin Johnson.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

You can find speed receivers anywhere in the draft, though. 

I am hoping Connor Williams' arms measure to at least 34", love most everything else I see when I watch him. 

That argument is so redundant due to the fact you can find anything anywhere in the draft...your a huge Leno fan...7th round pick...picking them earlier simply gives you a bigger pool to pick from.

51 minutes ago, TB 1 said:

There is no worse position to draft in the first round then WR. It is the easiest position to find in the later rounds. If you draft one in the Top 10 he better be Julio Jones or Calvin Johnson.

Agreed and Ridley isn't even close to being on that level.  The reason Kevin White was drafted so high was because he had elite physical tools and is 6'3 to boot. Ridley doesn't fit into that profile to go that early.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

WR is a big risk in the top 10, as we have seen.

Last season there were 3 top 10 WRs and all were horrendous this season.

Ridley would need to show elite physical tools.

Well to be fair two were hurt and missed half the season, and the third was an egregious overdraft after he ran a 4.22 combine 40. Also, while first year performance is important the pick is never about just the rookie year. 

With Ridley it’s hard for me to get a read on how I feel about him, and since he’s an underclassman we won’t get to see him in the Senior Bowl. The scouts LOVE his skill set, but his QB play at Bama was so underwhelming that it’s harder to know what he really can or can’t do. 

34 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

With Ridley it’s hard for me to get a read on how I feel about him, and since he’s an underclassman we won’t get to see him in the Senior Bowl. The scouts LOVE his skill set, but his QB play at Bama was so underwhelming that it’s harder to know what he really can or can’t do. 

++  He's elite level at getting separation, elite level speed. Two of the biggest things for imitating what KC does

+  Very good in the open field (this could arguably be at an elite level as well, and is probably the third most important factor)

=  Average at catching contested passes, nothing special height wise

-  Below average build (he's super athletic but thinner framed), age is a concern (he's like 24)

- -  Atrocious at blocking on the edge (It's almost laughable... Not sure if its an effort thing or a size thing... I'm kind of curious as to how KC had a good screen game with smaller guys and presumably poor edge blocking)

So there's definitely some concerns with Ridley, but he brings a skillset that the Bears blatantly don't have right now on their roster, and one that isn't really available in FA.  I wouldn't at all have a problem with him being our pick, but I do get the feeling we're going to go either OL/DL/OLB with our first pick this year.

My first round board right now is something like:

1.Trade down (Small) and Vita Vea-DT

2. Quenton Nelson-OG @ 8

3a. McGlinchey-OT @ 8

3b. Ridley-WR @ 8

5a. Trade Down (large) Harold Landry-OLB

5b. Trade down (Small) Ferrell-OLB

5c. Trade UP (small) Chubb-OLB

My problem with basically all of the OLB prospects is I don't see a super dominant Athlete, and that's a position where your SPARQ score matters as much as your technique... Chubb, Ferrell both have great technique but I don't see the elite level athleticism that makes them great.  Landry I'm a bit worried could be a run game liability. Key I doubt is on our board via non football stuff.

So that leaves Ridley or building in the trenches... I personally like Ridley, and if he was 2 years younger and could block on the edge, I think he'd be a lock for a top 5 pick. I'd be thrilled if we got him, but I think we look to build in the trenches....  Sitton, and Massie are both guys that could struggle with a scheme that incorporates more spread style concepts courtesy of Helfrich.... meanwhile we now have the Notre Dame Offensive Line coach who has more info on McGlinchy and Nelson than the rest of the league combined... Odds are good that one of those 2 is our pick....

Meanwhile Vita Vea is the wildcard in this situation.. He's an elite level talent and would fill a pretty massive hole in our defense by completing the "3" of our front 3, while simultaneously providing depth for Goldman at NT..... If we're trying to win in the trenches I can think of nothing scarier than a front 3 of Hicks/Goldman/Vea and when you consider that Vea can probably be had on a mild trade down vs likely having to draft Nelson or McGlinchey @ 8.... I think Vea is by far the best value we could get out of this draft class.

4 hours ago, Epyon said:

++  He's elite level at getting separation, elite level speed. Two of the biggest things for imitating what KC does

+  Very good in the open field (this could arguably be at an elite level as well, and is probably the third most important factor)

=  Average at catching contested passes, nothing special height wise

-  Below average build (he's super athletic but thinner framed), age is a concern (he's like 24)

- -  Atrocious at blocking on the edge (It's almost laughable... Not sure if its an effort thing or a size thing... I'm kind of curious as to how KC had a good screen game with smaller guys and presumably poor edge blocking)

So there's definitely some concerns with Ridley, but he brings a skillset that the Bears blatantly don't have right now on their roster, and one that isn't really available in FA.  I wouldn't at all have a problem with him being our pick, but I do get the feeling we're going to go either OL/DL/OLB with our first pick this year.

My first round board right now is something like:

1.Trade down (Small) and Vita Vea-DT

2. Quenton Nelson-OG @ 8

3a. McGlinchey-OT @ 8

3b. Ridley-WR @ 8

5a. Trade Down (large) Harold Landry-OLB

5b. Trade down (Small) Ferrell-OLB

5c. Trade UP (small) Chubb-OLB

My problem with basically all of the OLB prospects is I don't see a super dominant Athlete, and that's a position where your SPARQ score matters as much as your technique... Chubb, Ferrell both have great technique but I don't see the elite level athleticism that makes them great.  Landry I'm a bit worried could be a run game liability. Key I doubt is on our board via non football stuff.

So that leaves Ridley or building in the trenches... I personally like Ridley, and if he was 2 years younger and could block on the edge, I think he'd be a lock for a top 5 pick. I'd be thrilled if we got him, but I think we look to build in the trenches....  Sitton, and Massie are both guys that could struggle with a scheme that incorporates more spread style concepts courtesy of Helfrich.... meanwhile we now have the Notre Dame Offensive Line coach who has more info on McGlinchy and Nelson than the rest of the league combined... Odds are good that one of those 2 is our pick....

Meanwhile Vita Vea is the wildcard in this situation.. He's an elite level talent and would fill a pretty massive hole in our defense by completing the "3" of our front 3, while simultaneously providing depth for Goldman at NT..... If we're trying to win in the trenches I can think of nothing scarier than a front 3 of Hicks/Goldman/Vea and when you consider that Vea can probably be had on a mild trade down vs likely having to draft Nelson or McGlinchey @ 8.... I think Vea is by far the best value we could get out of this draft class.

Ferrell is returning to Clemson, I was a big fan of snagging him but it would have to be in 2019 now. We can both be depressed now over this. lol

With us being in nickel so often, that means Vea would be rotating in with Goldman and Hicks. Personally I don't think Goldman has much pass rush at all, is a borderline liability on pass downs unless you are wanting him to control the LOS vs a running QB. I feel like Goldman becomes a bit more expendable if Vea is signed. Goldman really becomes depth for Vea and Hicks. IDK. I know he is loved here and he is great vs the run, but he is really a 2 down player and feel Vea makes it much easier to let him leave later.

I am higher on Kirk than most, and have only a few I really think are worth a top 10 pick. I am hoping Minkah is viewed only as a safety, because I feel he can be more and would be very happy with him at 8.

18 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Which Goldman are you watching?

Eddie Goldman is a shockingly good pass rusher for a 330lbs NT.

Seems he’s looking just at the sack numbers, which are low. He generates solid pressure up the middle though, which often times leads to other guys getting sacks. 

28 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Seems he’s looking just at the sack numbers, which are low. He generates solid pressure up the middle though, which often times leads to other guys getting sacks. 

He is sporadic with pressure, granted he may just be getting worn out from too many snaps and being 330+. But Hicks is the one getting the attention of the OC/OL and Goldman is often still at the LOS by the time the QBs release the ball. Sometimes his bull rush looks deadly but he is not consistent at it. Sacks are great as far as finishing but at 330+ of course he doesn't have the closing speed. But the number of pressures he logged aren't near as great as some act IMO, especially when looking at how his snap totals have been pretty high for a NT through his tenure in Chicago. 

Maybe his productivity would go up with less total snaps, he might just be gassed out.

Archived