Ted Thompson stepping aside from GM role/Will be in new position in Packers FO

GOGRIESE

20 hours ago, Stevein2012 said:

What? That's just a terrible opinion that makes you look like you have no clue.  He's an elite pass blocking LT that has missed 6 games in 5 seasons.  We just recently signed Peppers in FA and he had 25 sacks for us

Elite is fishy as Rodgers is part of the mix in the passing game. Up until recently he was well below average in the the run game. And what sort of real splash did Peppers bring, and just where is he now? Leading the Packers to the Super Bowl? 

20 hours ago, incognito_man said:

So much wrong here...

Any reason you don't feel like explaining your point? I like debate. Please expound on why Thompson was an all-time great GM. 

20 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Except Bahkitiari is the best OT in football...

Except...no, he's not. Thompson's mistake wasn't in re-signing Bahktiari, it was to signing to the amount he did.

None of you has even begun to approach touching how Matthews even comes close to justifying still being on the team, on his current contract. 

And Peppers wasn't a substantial FA signing. You all can pretend all you want, but that doesn't change reality.

Thompson was not a very good GM, and in all likelihood, someone will replace him that does an even better job, and a year from now, all these Packer fans will be overjoyed at the state of the franchise. 

Any of you Packer fans like to refute my position that Rodgers is one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time? That would be a fun argument to have...

8 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Elite is fishy as Rodgers is part of the mix in the passing game. Up until recently he was well below average in the the run game. And what sort of real splash did Peppers bring, and just where is he now? Leading the Packers to the Super Bowl? 

Any reason you don't feel like explaining your point? I like debate. Please expound on why Thompson was an all-time great GM. 

Except...no, he's not. Thompson's mistake wasn't in re-signing Bahktiari, it was to signing to the amount he did.

None of you has even begun to approach touching how Matthews even comes close to justifying still being on the team, on his current contract. 

And Peppers wasn't a substantial FA signing. You all can pretend all you want, but that doesn't change reality.

Thompson was not a very good GM, and in all likelihood, someone will replace him that does an even better job, and a year from now, all these Packer fans will be overjoyed at the state of the franchise. 

Any of you Packer fans like to refute my position that Rodgers is one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time? That would be a fun argument to have...

Again I'll say it with 100% confidence.

David Bahkitiari is the best OT in football, that's not me the homer, that's pretty much a consensus now. You're showing how much you don't know.

8 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

There's no need to. When you say things like TT "isn't very good at his job" and Bakhtiari is "average and injury prone" you've showcased your ignorance and don't really want debate - you just want reaction. So I gave it to you.

16 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I'm going to go ahead and make an assumption that you didn't watch any Packers' games when Rodgers went down.  Please tell me I'm wrong.  That being said, Rodgers has a propensity for holding onto the ball too long.  It's been a knock on him ever since he entered the league as the starting QB.  He's an elite pass protector.  And Bakh has been above-average in run blocking for a few years, not an elite one but you don't really find elite pass protectors and run blockers at tackle anymore.  I'll take the elite pass protector over an elite run blocker every day of the week, and twice on Sunday's.  And you scoffing at the impact of Julius Peppers is really bad.  He's a HoF caliber who played at a very high level in Green Bay.

18 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Now I'm really convinced you haven't watched David Bakh.  He's been worth every penny of that contract, and probably offers surplus value on top of that.  He's an elite LT, and one of TT's best draft picks.  Anyone care to go back and read the scouting reports that thought he was going to have to move to guard in the NFL?  In fact, if you read the scouting reports between him and Luke Joeckel (both of whom were drafted in the same draft), you would think they had the scouting reports mixed up.

21 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I forgot contracts signed are for what they did, not what you think they did.  That being said, productive pass rushers don't come available in FA very often if ever.  And releasing Clay puts the Packers in a really, really bad hole numbers wise.  The Packers can't afford to cut Clay.

15 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Openly discussing something in the past is one thing, but when your forced out from above, it likely were not on his terms. We'll see

Speculation.  It's been discussed ad nauseam that TT has had his eyes set on moving past the GM position, and his contract was set to expire next offseason.  The Packers had two very attractive GM candidates in Wolf and Gut, and had they not gotten the Packers' GM gig this offseason they almost certainly would have been poached.  It's better to give up the reigns too early than too late.  This is no different than the Bob Stoops situation.

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

David Bahkitiari is the best OT in football, that's not me the homer, that's pretty much a consensus now. You're showing how much you don't know.

That consensus being among...Packer fans? No, there isn't an overwhelming acclamation Bahkitiari is the best tackle in football. So, you're simply fielding a childish reaction based upon what I said (basically, David's contract is bogus). 

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

There's no need to. When you say things like TT "isn't very good at his job" and Bakhtiari is "average and injury prone" you've showcased your ignorance and don't really want debate - you just want reaction. So I gave it to you.

Ahhh...also ignoring other points I made. The most prominent being--how good do you think Aaron Rodgers is? Love to hear your take on that.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'm going to go ahead and make an assumption that you didn't watch any Packers' games when Rodgers went down.  Please tell me I'm wrong.  

You're wrong. 

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

You're wrong. 

Then feel free to expand on your point about Bakh being "average and injury prone", I'm really curious.  He's missed 6 games in his five seasons in the NFL.  That's pretty damn reliable.

17 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Then feel free to expand on your point about Bakh being "average and injury prone", I'm really curious.  He's missed 6 games in his five seasons in the NFL.  That's pretty damn reliable.

Nothing to expand upon. It's simply my opinion. There are a lot of LTs I feel are better than him. Can't really prove or disprove an opinion. And he's often hampered by injuries, which affects his play, but it is good he plays through them. 

Wouldn't you say that the entirety of TT's resume consists of a lot more than a single player the two of us disagree upon, though? Anybody care to respond to the question I keep bringing up--how good of a quarterback do you think Aaron Rodgers is? 

23 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Nothing to expand upon. It's simply my opinion. There are a lot of LTs I feel are better than him. Can't really prove or disprove an opinion. And he's often hampered by injuries, which affects his play, but it is good he plays through them. 

Wouldn't you say that the entirety of TT's resume consists of a lot more than a single player the two of us disagree upon, though? Anybody care to respond to the question I keep bringing up--how good of a quarterback do you think Aaron Rodgers is? 

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

4 hours ago, JBURGE25 said:

I don't think Nakh is the best tackle in football.. He certainly is top 3 or 4 though with Trent Williams, Tyron Smith, and Joe Thomas

Hard to argue with placing that group in thd same top tier.  3 of them were top 10 picks, 1 was a 4th rounder.  Impressive what Bakhtiari has become.

Archived