Ted Thompson stepping aside from GM role/Will be in new position in Packers FO

GOGRIESE

3 hours ago, NormSizedMidget said:

He's openly discussed moving back to a pure scouting role after his GM days were over for a while now because that's what he enjoyed most. 

Openly discussing something in the past is one thing, but when your forced out from above, it likely were not on his terms. We'll see

3 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Openly discussing something in the past is one thing, but when your forced out from above, it likely were not on his terms. We'll see

He wasn't forced out. This plan has been in place forever. They knew this was going to be the path mid-season when MM got his 1 yr extension.

4 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

It's been reported he was forced out and that it was "suggested" he so it. Look, most of assumed he was going to take a demotion when it was over based on all that. It happened. I don't know why I should assume it's some con job.

GB fans should be happy, Dom and Ted are not in decision making roles anymore.

And that's a positive for GB. They were being a disservice to your on field product for at least the last 3 years.

Wherever Ted goes from here, doesn't really matter... I think he is on his way out, while many think some position in scouting, all that matters he is not going to be making decisions and likely has no control etc.

2 best moves of the offseason for GB are completed.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:
4 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

He wasn't forced out. This plan has been in place forever. They knew this was going to be the path mid-season when MM got his 1 yr extension.

From Mark's presser, it seems like Mark came to the conclusion that it was time. Ted also signed an extension the same time as Mike McCarthy so something had to have changed on one or both sides within the last month. 

I don't have a problem with Ted's drafting. Every long term GM goes through streaks. He has made enough solid picks to keep the team in the top 4 NFC teams with the QB they have and where they pick in the rounds year after year. I won't bash Ted's drafting because there is no need to. But it will be nice to have a more complete GM, hopefully

6 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

I don't have a problem with Ted's drafting. Every long term GM goes through streaks. He has made enough solid picks to keep the team in the top 4 NFC teams with the QB they have and where they pick in the rounds year after year. I won't bash Ted's drafting because there is no need to. But it will be nice to have a more complete GM, hopefully

His biggest issue is his severe lack of blue chip talent over the last 5 or so years on defense. Not saying great players are easy to come by or anything but we really needed at least one of the players drafted at the top of the drafts to be the new star on defense after Matthews decline but none have stepped up. I don't think his drafting was as bad as some think it is but we really needed a defensive spark by one of our rookies and so far only Daniels (2012) has come close to being that guy. 

At the same time his offensive drafting especially considering where he is drafting offense has most likely been well above average. His OL drafting has been excellent. 

Sad to see him go I think he is one of the better offensive drafters in the NFL considering where he is drafting offense but defensively he has not been very good for a number of years now. 

1 hour ago, Spartacus said:
2 hours ago, JBURGE25 said:

His biggest issue is his severe lack of blue chip talent over the last 5 or so years on defense. Not saying great players are easy to come by or anything but we really needed at least one of the players drafted at the top of the drafts to be the new star on defense after Matthews decline but none have stepped up. I don't think his drafting was as bad as some think it is but we really needed a defensive spark by one of our rookies and so far only Daniels (2012) has come close to being that guy. 

At the same time his offensive drafting especially considering where he is drafting offense has most likely been well above average. His OL drafting has been excellent. 

Sad to see him go I think he is one of the better offensive drafters in the NFL considering where he is drafting offense but defensively he has not been very good for a number of years now. 

Daniels, and you could argue now Clark is a blue chip talent.

Italics indicates blue chip at one point.

2012 - 1st - Drafted Nick Perry, shortly after Harrison Smith, Janoris Jenkins, Bobby Wagner went.  We had lost Collins and I wanted Smith... but we don't value off ball LBs, and with our next pick.
//2nd - Jerel Worthy and Casey Hayward, in between Lavonte David went - see above. Ouch on Worthy
// 4th - Mike Daniels and Jerron McMillian, blue chip defender and absolute worst safety of all tie back to back,Malik Jackson and Josh Norman shortly after
// No others

2013 - 1st - Datone Jones, shortly after Darius Slay, Kawaan Short, Jamie Collins - we were stacked at CB with Shields, Tramon and Hayward. Short we could have used. Collins off ball
// 2nd - Eddie Lacy,  shortly after Mathieu went
// later Hyde went to Green Bay, was the only other pro bowl defender, def not a blue chip player though

2014 - 1st - HHCD, shortly after Jason Verrett (still have good corners), Demarcus Lawrence
// 3rd - Khyri Thornton, he sucks but no one of note goes after
//4th - Carl Bradford, sucks but again no one after
// no other pro bowlers on defense

2015 - 1st - Damarious Randall, shortly after Landon Collins went. Argument can be made here with Burnett on 3 year deal and HaHa drafted first rd year before, safety a position of strength
// 2nd - Quinton Rollins, next pick was Frank Clark. Clark isn't a blue chip but I really hate this
// 4th - Jake Ryan, JAG, but Grady Jarrett went shortly after
// no other blue chip players

2016 - 1st - Kenny Clark, shortly after Ogbah, Jack, Chris Jones. Arguably we made the best pick of the 4 here. 
//2nd - Trade up for Spriggs, early 3rd round Ngakoue went. Red flags, but a very good pass rusher, may be blue chip some day 
// 3rd - Fackrell, he sucks, but there isn't a lot to love after him
// 4th - Blake Martinez, good player, leads nfl in tackles this year, not much better after

His drafting on defense isn't terrible honestly. Our defensive scheme is terrible. He has some misses. Perry got a 2nd contract, and from a late 1st that is fine and achieved expectations in my book. Datone sucks and that was a miss. Kawaan Short would have been a better pick, and he had late day 1 buzz pre-draft. We did however have Raji. HHCD was a fine pick, and there wasn't much else in that class. Randall has shown flashes. Has played very well against some, and looked absolutely terrible at others, but there wasn't much to take instead of him. Rollins is a bum. Clark was a good pick. Spriggs, if he starts at RT next year and is above average, was a good pick. I only included offensive picks when a strong defender went shortly after. 

I would definitely argue that Ted provided enough talent on defense through the draft. He did not however supplement the roster with players capable of starting or being the first off the bench through other avenues. 

26 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

Daniels, and you could argue now Clark is a blue chip talent.

Italics indicates blue chip at one point.

2012 - 1st - Drafted Nick Perry, shortly after Harrison Smith, Janoris Jenkins, Bobby Wagner went.  We had lost Collins and I wanted Smith... but we don't value off ball LBs, and with our next pick.
//2nd - Jerel Worthy and Casey Hayward, in between Lavonte David went - see above. Ouch on Worthy
// 4th - Mike Daniels and Jerron McMillian, blue chip defender and absolute worst safety of all tie back to back,Malik Jackson and Josh Norman shortly after
// No others

2013 - 1st - Datone Jones, shortly after Darius Slay, Kawaan Short, Jamie Collins - we were stacked at CB with Shields, Tramon and Hayward. Short we could have used. Collins off ball
// 2nd - Eddie Lacy,  shortly after Mathieu went
// later Hyde went to Green Bay, was the only other pro bowl defender, def not a blue chip player though

2014 - 1st - HHCD, shortly after Jason Verrett (still have good corners), Demarcus Lawrence
// 3rd - Khyri Thornton, he sucks but no one of note goes after
//4th - Carl Bradford, sucks but again no one after
// no other pro bowlers on defense

2015 - 1st - Damarious Randall, shortly after Landon Collins went. Argument can be made here with Burnett on 3 year deal and HaHa drafted first rd year before, safety a position of strength
// 2nd - Quinton Rollins, next pick was Frank Clark. Clark isn't a blue chip but I really hate this
// 4th - Jake Ryan, JAG, but Grady Jarrett went shortly after
// no other blue chip players

2016 - 1st - Kenny Clark, shortly after Ogbah, Jack, Chris Jones. Arguably we made the best pick of the 4 here. 
//2nd - Trade up for Spriggs, early 3rd round Ngakoue went. Red flags, but a very good pass rusher, may be blue chip some day 
// 3rd - Fackrell, he sucks, but there isn't a lot to love after him
// 4th - Blake Martinez, good player, leads nfl in tackles this year, not much better after

His drafting on defense isn't terrible honestly. Our defensive scheme is terrible. He has some misses. Perry got a 2nd contract, and from a late 1st that is fine and achieved expectations in my book. Datone sucks and that was a miss. Kawaan Short would have been a better pick, and he had late day 1 buzz pre-draft. We did however have Raji. HHCD was a fine pick, and there wasn't much else in that class. Randall has shown flashes. Has played very well against some, and looked absolutely terrible at others, but there wasn't much to take instead of him. Rollins is a bum. Clark was a good pick. Spriggs, if he starts at RT next year and is above average, was a good pick. I only included offensive picks when a strong defender went shortly after. 

I would definitely argue that Ted provided enough talent on defense through the draft. He did not however supplement the roster with players capable of starting or being the first off the bench through other avenues. 

Agreed and thanks for the groundwork on this. I was thinking of putting something similar but was too lazy. 

4 hours ago, Spartacus said:

Another thing that didn't help was drafting all those DBs and so many of them got hurt seemingly all at the same time so we had to trot out guys to start who should have been on the Practice squad instead.

19 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Your also making assumptions here too, no?

Either way, I'm not disregarding your point of view of this, you could very well be right on all accounts but I also think you're selling TT short. It's hard to believe that a man that has been with the same organization for 15 years(?) did not have any input whatsoever on any of those calls. Fifteen years, or whatever, earns alot of credibility in this league no matter what.

I am making an assumption, but it's based more on something tangible rather than what amounts to a feeling.  TT's not one of those hand in every pot GMs, or at least he hasn't shown to be that way.  The coaching changes might be a mandate from above, but it's MM making the calls.  Especially now that TT is out as well.

19 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

So are you now disavowing your post "You look at [TT's] draft record and it stands up as well as anyone's" from earlier this year or was that a different CWood21 poster?

Just admit that Aaron's absence exposed Ted's roster for what it was, nothing better than the Browns (whom the Pack rallied from 14 down in the 4th to tie and then defeat in OT) and that the devotion to Ted turned out to be adoration of a false prophet.

Time for Pack fans to move on as getting rid of Ted (and Dom) means that there is at least hope that the organization will not waste even more of Aaron's Hall of Fame career by surrounding him with a bunch of JAGs as Ted did the past 7 years.

You're making two different arguments, and trying to wrap it up into one neat bow when that's anything but the case.  You made the point earlier that his 2011-2017 drafts aren't up to par.  If you're comparing that to the league average or against his first few years in Green Bay, absolutely.  But instead of throwing away the data because it hurts your argument, most posters tend to look at the entire picture rather than just a subjective portion in order to enhance your argument.  That's the difference.  And my argument about TT's draft record comment was about his ENTIRE body of work, not just your subjective timeline.

Did I ever say that Rodgers' absence didn't expose the hole the Packers had?  No, in fact it clearly did.  But the comment that the Packers are "nothing better than the Browns" is laughably comical at best.  The Packers went 3-6 with Brett Hundley as their starting QB...the Cleveland Browns just finished an 0-16 season.  But yeah, the Packers aren't anything more than a Browns.  Seriously, that's an awful take to make.

Archived