Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

-Weird recollection I just had:

The Packers drafted a WR named Cory Rodgers back in 2006. I had to look up the year, but I was struck by the memory of another "Rodgers" who couldn't make muster. They used a 4th rounder, and I'm recalling he was picked primarily as a return man.

He never panned out; the kid was hesitant, and he fumbled and muffed kicks. He simply did not seem to have the mindset needed to be a successful return man. It was like deja vu remembering this. I don't think he even made the team.

-More recently, did the Packers try J'mon Moore as a kick returner?

-That's just a snapshot of what goes on in my head all day long. It's its own rabbit hole.  () - : #

Just now, Packer_ESP said:

It's probably better

I'm no fan of OBJ, but ya gotta keep trying, if you're all in. They tried Jaylon Smith and Mericlus. Smith failed and Mercilus has been OK, but ya gotta keep trying, if you're all in. OBJ may add little or a lot to the Ram's push to the playoffs, but now he will add nothing to Green Bay's. 

I won't be too critical though. Not sure what the Ram's promised OBJ beyond this year. Maybe stuff GB couldn't do. Maybe OBJ wanted more glitz in a much bigger market. Lot's of variables.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JQ1 said:

The Packers drafted a WR named Cory Rodgers back in 2006. I had to look up the year, but I was struck by the memory of another "Rodgers" who couldn't make muster. They used a 4th rounder, and I'm recalling he was picked primarily as a return man.

He never panned out; the kid was hesitant, and he fumbled and muffed kicks. He simply did not seem to have the mindset needed to be a successful return man. It was like deja vu remembering this. I don't think he even made the team.

-That's just a snapshot of what goes on in my head all day long. It's its own rabbit hole.  () - : #

Thanks for sharing. It's kinda like a mental garage sale :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JQ1 said:

I think he was arrested before training camp for something. 

44 minutes ago, Leader said:

I dont see how this could possibly be the case.

1. He certainly was aware of the existence of one Davante Adams and I'm sure he didnt anticipate he'd be leap-frogging him in terms of targets. I dont think he's a dummy.

2. I see no way he could possibly feel insecure that he'd lose targets to the likes of MVS, Lazard and/or EQ.

In the end I just have to wrap my head around the fact / or belief that LA was just a better fit for OBJ than GB - and leave it at that.

I dont know the amount of effort put forward by the FO - so I cant castigate them by declaring it insufficient.

I dont usually go around trashing the Packers - but, I just feel our passing game is....less than robust. Certainly in comparison to our top line competitors. I just think he would have helped us and consider it a loss he chose not to come to GB. 

Onward and upward.........

Couple of final things on this.

1.  His right to chose where he goes, but what are the chances of Matt Stafford who has never won a playoff game getting the Rams a Super Bowl? Pretty good surrounding cast, but keep that in mind in those deep playoff games.

2.  DeSean Jackson just worked his way out of LA because he wasn't getting the ball.   Enter OBJ,  good luck with the targets and his happiness.  If he went there for the playoffs, good for him, my question is will he still be on the team for the playoffs?  Stay tuned.

2 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

1.  His right to chose where he goes, but what are the chances of Matt Stafford who has never won a playoff game getting the Rams a Super Bowl? Pretty good surrounding cast, but keep that in mind in those deep playoff games.

Jared Goff.
Defense is very good.

12 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Couple of final things on this.

2.  DeSean Jackson just worked his way out of LA because he wasn't getting the ball.   Enter OBJ,  good luck with the targets and his happiness.  If he went there for the playoffs, good for him, my question is will he still be on the team for the playoffs?  Stay tuned.

Thats fine...but outside when we're playing them, I dont care how it works out for them. Not wishing him ill - but I'd rather it didnt work out. Again - I just think he could have helped us. Guys like him dont often become available mid-season for chump change.

32 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I'm no fan of OBJ, but ya gotta keep trying, if you're all in. They tried Jaylon Smith and Mericlus. Smith failed and Mercilus has been OK, but ya gotta keep trying, if you're all in. OBJ may add little or a lot to the Ram's push to the playoffs, but now he will add nothing to Green Bay's. 

I won't be too critical though. Not sure what the Ram's promised OBJ beyond this year. Maybe stuff GB couldn't do. Maybe OBJ wanted more glitz in a much bigger market. Lot's of variables.

They did try. They offered the only rational offer they could have. There's literally nothing else they could have done that made any sense at all.

2 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Nothing new here. LA added Von Miller and OBJ for the playoff push. GB upgraded their long snapper. Same old same old.

Honestly this is a nonsense comment.

Packers have seriously compromised their future cap position to go for it in 2021. A huge amount of money has been kicked into the future to keep players here. A huge amount. We have literally spent the 2022 budget on 2021.  As well as that we have used what little remaining resources we have got left to bring in free agents like Merciless.

We made a similar offer to OBJ but he presumably picked Rams because he will probably get better numbers there to help his next contract. Adams is option 1A and 1B here. OBJ fell out with Cleveland because he didn't get enough balls his way well guess what ..

Same old ... same old ?????   really ?   I've never seen Packers do this before. 

• Like 2