Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

55 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Couple of final things on this.

1.  His right to chose where he goes, but what are the chances of Matt Stafford who has never won a playoff game getting the Rams a Super Bowl? Pretty good surrounding cast, but keep that in mind in those deep playoff games.

2.  DeSean Jackson just worked his way out of LA because he wasn't getting the ball.   Enter OBJ,  good luck with the targets and his happiness.  If he went there for the playoffs, good for him, my question is will he still be on the team for the playoffs?  Stay tuned.

No he has no right to choose.  He was supposed to be a Packer damn it.  Stafford is overrated.  Hope it doesn't work out for him.  Yah sour grapes over here.  Dirty rat.  hee hee hee...In all seriousness he wouldn't really help us much this late in the season.  Could have actually been a detriment.  Not sure he is all that good anymore especially coming off an ACL.  We'll see I will be rooting for him to fail.  No one disses my Packers!  We'll be facing them twice.  Time to kick some Rams butt... 

Edited by Scoremore
I flunked english

I'm not surprised he chose LA. He works out/lives there part time and let's be honest, LA in Nov/Dec/Jan is much nicer temperature wise than GB. We will leave the culture/people part of that open for debate.

He could very much have been a nice weapon to have and he could have brought something to the table that we don't currently have, so I'm sad he isn't coming in that respect. That being said, nobody knows if he would be the OBJ of the last few years or the OBJ of a fews years back. I'm glad GB didn't try to outbid anybody for him, I highly doubt us reaching the SB swings on us having or not having OBJ. In the end it was his choice, so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. 

Bill Huber / SI -  The Rams, who are fifth in scoring and third in total offense, are absolutely loaded. In his 11 seasons with Detroit, Stafford had a 100-plus passer rating just once. This year, he’s second in the NFL with a career-high mark of 111.0. He leads the NFL with 2,771 passing yards and, with 23 touchdown passes in nine games, he’s almost matched last year’s 16-game total of 26.

Cooper Kupp is having an all-world season with NFL-high totals of 74 receptions for 1,019 yards and 10 touchdowns. Robert Woods, who topped 1,000 yards in 2018 and 2019 and almost reached that mark again in 2020, is on pace for 1,050 yards.

Defensively, the Rams have been nowhere near as dominant as last season, when they were No. 1 in points allowed. But Aaron Donald is one of the best defensive linemen in NFL history, Jalen Ramsey is one of the best cornerbacks in the NFL, and Miller and Leonard Floyd form one of the best edge tandems in the league.

On paper, the Rams look like a juggernaut. Do the Packers have the horses to keep up, even if outside linebacker Za’Darius Smith and cornerback Jaire Alexander can return for the stretch run?

However, this is worth considering: The Cleveland Browns, who are a top contender in the AFC, are betting that it was addition by subtraction when they got rid of Beckham. The Rams, who are a top contender in the NFC, are betting that it is addition by addition by signing Beckham.

“He’s still talented but, man, he’s a headache,” said a high-ranking executive from a contending team that had no interest in Beckham earlier in the week.

In a follow-up conversation on Thursday, the executive said Gutekunst did the right thing by trying to get Beckham on his terms. Presumably, that meant making clear that Davante Adams is the No. 1 receiver and that Beckham would be a part – not necessarily a featured part, as McVay perhaps promised – of a championship-caliber team.

“They have enough to win it,” he said. “He’s too selfish and would’ve not meshed there. Davante is the primary. Odell can’t handle not being the primary.”

There’s evidence for that. In Cleveland, Beckham and his good friend and former LSU teammate, Jarvis Landry, were supposed to lead the Browns to new heights. It never quite worked out, though. Even on a contending team this year, Beckham was unhappy and asked multiple times to be traded.

Asked on Wednesday how it would work with two “alpha” receivers on the same team, Adams said he didn’t know.

“It will be different, I’m sure, but I’m pretty secure in what I bring to this offense and to this team. And I know what his mindset is based off what he just came from, he’d be happy to deal with whatever at this point,” Adams said.

While Adams spoke optimistically about Beckham's potential impact, it’s fair to ask if Beckham is more name than game at this point of his career. According to Pro Football Focus, 63 players have been targeted at least Beckham’s total of 34 times. Of that group, he ranks 62nd with a 50.0 percent catch rate and 58th with a passer rating of 72.2.

He’s also 60th with 11 first downs, 54th with 1.32 yards per target, 52nd with a 10.5 percent drop rate and 48th with 3.2 yards after the catch per catch. He’s made six contested catches in his 13 games the past two seasons; he had 15 in 2019 alone. He’s on his third consecutive year with a catch rate of less than 60 percent. Then again, according to ESPN Stats & Information, 32.4 percent of his targets this season have been off-target. That’s the highest rate in the league.

With Robert Tonyan out for the season, the Packers could have used another target. With a trip to the Super Bowl on the line last year, Green Bay’s Adams-centric passing attack failed to deliver. And that was with an offense that led the NFL in scoring with Rodgers earning MVP honors. Green Bay’s offense has been good but not great all season. Perhaps the return of All-Pro left tackle David Bakhtiari will make all the difference.

On paper, it’s going to be tough sledding to finally get over the hump. At receiver, Tampa Bay (6-2) has Mike Evans, Antonio Brown and Chris Godwin. The Rams (7-2) have Kupp, Beckham and Woods. The Packers (7-2) have Adams, Marquez Valdes-Scantling and Allen Lazard.

But games aren’t won on paper. They’re won on the field through teamwork and chemistry.

The executive had doubts this would pay off for the Rams.

“The Rams experiment, unless he gives up his ego, won’t go well.”

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

If he really chose LA just because of the climate, etc. that’s pretty damn lame.  It’s 2.5 months, how much do you really wanna win a SB?

LAR are pretty stacked.  Really their only downside is the tougher division but they will be in the dance. We’ll see how we both stack up in a few weeks. 

4 hours ago, Leader said:

Ryan Wood -   Maurice Drayton on field-goal woes, says long snapper needs "accuracy, location and velocity, the same revolutions to get to the holder at the same catch point every time he catches the ball. Then it's the holder's job to put that ball down on a spot roughly the size of a dime."

Drayton says offensive lineman on field-goal protection are asked to "die a slow death." This season, those linemen on Packers field-goal group have needed to die a little slower.

Maurice Drayton at end of lengthy, detailed description of what proper field-goal operation should look like (aka not how it's looked for Packers): "That is the standard. It's all on me. Nobody is running from it. We're working at it every single day."

Passing Office Space GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

23 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

Geography advantage aside, GB also couldn't match up with the money.

Rams poached him greedy pricks.  No way could we go there.  Can't blame Odell for taking the deal. Hope this blows up in their faces.  I now totally and completely hate the Rams.  Screw them.  Stafford can't seal the deal for them.  He'll chuck up picks in crunch time like he always does.  They need to go down.  

On 11/10/2021 at 10:26 AM, Sasquatch said:

Above and beyond the contractual off-set language that basically stipulates OBJ’s income is set for 2021, can a team offer incentives that go above and beyond the contract that wouldn’t affect the offset language?  Bonuses?  Or is it fixed regardless?

If the the former is true, then maybe that’s what OBJ and his agent are angling for?

Damn, I called this yesterday but I wasn’t sure about how bonuses could be factored into the off-set contractual language.  Question answered.

7 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I take it you're not a fan of OBJ?

Not particularly, but I'm especially not a fan of the potential distraction for a position that, while helpful, isn't necessarily one of need. CB is just more valuable both in general and in the Packer's particular case, and Douglas has worked pretty damn well for a PS pickup, that's why I think it was a better addition than (potentially) OBJ.

• Like 2