Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

9 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Plucking Rasul Douglas off a PS is the equivalent of signing OBJ?

Hate to tell you, you counted adding a LS from OUR practice squad. Douglas is therefore fair game. And yes, adding players for minimum salaries who contribute as decent immediate starters counts.

But at the time Douglas was signed, no one knew he would play so well. Kudos to the Packer's scouts for that one. My last thought on OBJ is "Meh." We need a TE much more. Failure to get one before the trading deadline may end up being much worse to the Packer's playoff run than OBJ going to the Rams. I truly hope it isn't. Maybe Lazard can stay healthy and take some snaps there. The NFL is random.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Always about the money

If that were the case, he would have chased down a larger and more concrete contract with some chump team flush with cash and cap space:

JAX - 26M - available cap
PHIL - 20M
DEN - 16M

And on down the list.

20 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Does anyone have a break-down/summary of the NFCCG NLTBE bonus poison pill attached to this?

If this exists, it will take me from an apathetic neutral on this to me rooting against the Rams for being cheaters. Legal, but still despicable.

The Rams are ALL in for this year. Next year and after they will be a hurting unit; NO draft choices and cap space issues. If they don't make it all the way, (I don't think they will) they are toast for the foreseeable future.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Does anyone have a break-down/summary of the NFCCG NLTBE bonus poison pill attached to this?

If this exists, it will take me from an apathetic neutral on this to me rooting against the Rams for being cheaters. Legal, but still despicable.

Assuming my understanding of it is correct, if the Rams hit any of the team achievements, they hit next year's books instead of this year's.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

But at the time Douglas was signed, no one knew he would play so well. Kudos to the Packer's scouts for that one. My last thought on OBJ is "Meh." We need a TE much more. Failure to get one before the trading deadline may end up being much worse to the Packer's playoff run than OBJ going to the Rams. I truly hope it isn't. Maybe Lazard can stay healthy and take some snaps there. The NFL is random.

Our TEs when we won the Super Bowl were Andrew Quarless and Tom Crabtree. I think we can manage with Big Dog, Deguara and Dafney. It would've been nice to add one but it's not going to be a hindrance unless we lose another one to injury.

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Assuming my understanding of it is correct, if the Rams hit any of the team achievements, they hit next year's books instead of this year's.

And then the opposite would be true for GB since NFCCG appearance counts as LTBE and thus would count against the year it is scheduled (2021).

Just now, incognito_man said:

And then the opposite would be true for GB since NFCCG appearance counts as LTBE and thus would count against the year it is scheduled (2021).

Correct.  It's usually based on previous years' results.  I can't remember who it was, but it was a former 1000+ rusher/receiver who had an injury plagued year, and they were able to put a NLTBE clause that would effectively push the money into the next year.

3 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

But at the time Douglas was signed, no one knew he would play so well.

That seems like a very odd way to justify your stance on OBJ vs Douglas.  Isn't that like saying a month from now, "But at the time OBJ was signed, nobody knew he would be so unproductive."

The results of the signing are what define the level of success, not the expectations.

• Like 1