Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Just now, NFLGURU said:

Agree here, but the jury is out on MLF.  Really like what he's done here.  His challenge is when Rodgers leaves.  We'll get a clear picture of what he can/cant do.

Agree...to an extent. The personnel changes appear at least to be so pervasive, that short term MLF's contribution (or blame) could be difficult to assess. One things for certain....he'll be challenged.

• Like 1

Andy Herman -   Will never ever apologize or be mad about having “only” two Super Bowls. That’s crazy. But reality did seem to hit last night that this might be 3 decades of elite quarterback play with “only” 2 Super Bowls while also experiencing a metric ton of heartbreak.

///

Technically, it's 3 SBs with "only" two wins.

44 minutes ago, Leader said:

Andy Herman -  Among the players who MAY have played their last snaps as a Packer:

Aaron Rodgers
Davante Adams
Randall Cobb
MVS
Robert Tonyan
Marcedes Lewis
Billy Turner
Dennis Kelly
Lucas Patrick
Dean Lowry
Preston Smith
Z
Rasul Douglas
Kevin King
De’Vondre Campbell
Adrian Amos
Mason Crosby

///

That's a helluva lot of bodies.

If I can get Rodgers, Adams, Smith Bros, Cobb and Billy Turner off the books, I hope that gives me enough to get Campbell and Douglas back.

I'd like to build our team more like San Fran and Tennessee, just with slightly better QB play. 

Control the LOS on both sides, run the ball, play stout defense. QB makes plays when he has to, otherwise manages the game.

Think that's the offense LaFleur really wants anyway, just got hired by a team with a legendary QB who has to have input.

• Like 4

Just now, Packerraymond said:

If I can get Rodgers, Adams, Smith Bros, Cobb and Billy Turner off the books, I hope that gives me enough to get Campbell and Douglas back.

I'd like to build our team more like San Fran and Tennessee, just with slightly better QB play. 

Control the LOS on both sides, run the ball, play stout defense. QB makes plays when he has to, otherwise manages the game.

Think that's the offense LaFleur really wants anyway, just got hired by a team with a legendary QB who has to have input.

There's a game plan.

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

100% down with this, but if we trade Rodgers to Denver, I'd insist on Patrick Surtain Jr. as part of that trade. That would negate the need for Douglas. A guy who I think played over his skis a bit. Although at CB, you can never have enough. Same with pass rushers. 

Edited by Old Guy

Just now, Old Guy said:

100% down with this, but if we trade Rodgers to Denver, I'd insist on Patrick Surtain Jr. as part of that trade. That would negate the need for Douglas. Although at CB, you can never have enough. Same with pass rushers. 

They're not going to give up Surtain.

Andy Herman -  Lot of legacies got hurt last night, Gute, Murphy, Rodgers, Tae, MLF, etc… But probably most feel for Gute. This team had just about everything it needed (minus a long snapper). He borrowed a lot from the future to make it happen, but all the pieces needed were there.

• Peter Bukowski -  Don’t think Gutekunst’s legacy takes much of a hit. He built arguably the best roster in the league, a team capable of withstanding a slew of high profile injuries.

Andy Herman -  I should have clarified but what I meant was by ultimately not winning a super bowl this season, a lot of legacies change. A SB win would have meant a ton for Gute.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

They're not going to give up Surtain.

Then they don't get Rodgers. Also, why do you think they wouldn't include Surtain to get the 'best' quarterback in the league? Seems a reasonable request. You have to give up quality to get quality. 

Just now, Old Guy said:

Then they don't get Rodgers. Also, why do you think they wouldn't include Surtain to get the 'best' quarterback in the league? Seems a reasonable request. You have to give up quality to get quality. 

Because if you're Denver and you know you have a 2-3 window with Rodgers as your QB to win a Super Bowl, why would you want to take away from that?  Right now, other then Carolina and NY Giants, they have the most valuable pick that can be offered.  That's the starting point.  Do you really think the Broncos are going to offer that pick AND Surtain?  No.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

As long as he is used in the same role, why wouldn't I? 

We've seen way too many players have years that were outside their skillset, get paid, and then immediately flame out.  Let someone else overpay for him.  I'm content with Stokes and Jaire as my boundary corners.

5 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

100% down with this, but if we trade Rodgers to Denver, I'd insist on Patrick Surtain Jr. as part of that trade. That would negate the need for Douglas. A guy who I think played over his skis a bit. Although at CB, you can never have enough. Same with pass rushers. 

Rodgers has 2 years left, no team who trades for him is going to give up starters and create holes on their team. It's two years, all in. 

I'd ask for Fant, I think Denver would part with him, and I think LaFleur would love that skillset in his offense.

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Does anyone really expect Rasul Douglas to play as well as he did this year?

I think you let him walk and roll with Jaire and Stokes on the outside and draft for the future or look for a possible cheap FA option.  If that happens to be Rasul, so be it