Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 minute ago, Leader said:

The perceived harmony derives from acceptance that the roads will diverge mutually. Maybe AR just wants a change. 

Yeah I could see it being as simple as Rodgers and Gute both being public about the fact that they both want him to stay, but the money doesn't work out so please don't hate him for leaving. And don't boo him if he comes back to play in Lambeau for another team.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pgwingman said:

Yeah I could see it being as simple as Rodgers and Gute both being public about the fact that they both want him to stay, but the money doesn't work out so please don't hate him for leaving. And don't boo him if he comes back to play in Lambeau for another team.

Or -

Like Michael Scott, he just wants to go to Colorado and raise kids.

I like the Packers possibilities this postseason.  But it's a parity game, they're facing a good, talented team tomorrow and *IF* they hypothetically survive, it will be another next week.  And *IF* they hypothetically survive, another good one in the SB.  At ~50% each week, the odds of winning out are ~1-in-8.  

I say that because for the moment, the team is winning, all hopes are sky high, and it feels like they are on the successful journey.... together.  Everybody feels good about what they've done and how they've done it.  But man it can all end on one day, one play.  As fans we've been posting and reading and thinking and hoping for many months (and more).  How much more Rodgers and Gute and MLF and all of those guys.  But literally in a day-and-a-half it could be all over.  And all of the hopes and good feelings of recent weeks could all be dashed.  

As a fan, that can be heartbreak.  How much more so, I'd think, for Rodgers and Gute and MLF, who maybe all realize they may never get another opportunity like this for the rest of their lives.  Their whole professional lives and legacies hinging on this, on the bounce of an oblong ball, a tipped pass, a blown coverage, an imperfect throw, a bad call, a dropped pass.  I really can't even imagine how much emotion, and perhaps pressure, there is.  It's kind of amazing that guys are able to stay as composed as they do.  *IF* they hypothetically lose, tomorrow, I can't even imagine what a crushing let-down that would be for Aaron.  I can easily understand how *IF* they were to lose, Rodgers would need some time, maybe a long time, to come to terms with that before setting his course for next year.  

Packers, just go out there and win!  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

As I've stated I think Rodgers has an offer he's considering.  It keeps added pressure off of him wondering if these are his last games in Green Bay.  It puts the ball in his court as a good thing, he can stay if he wants, rather than thinking about it during the playoffs.  Its more of a comfort feeling gonig into the playoffs than a antagonistic contract issue coming up.  

Personally, I'd consider significant trade packages for him, but I think he's staying.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

As I've stated I think Rodgers has an offer he's considering.  It keeps added pressure off of him wondering if these are his last games in Green Bay.  It puts the ball in his court as a good thing, he can stay if he wants, rather than thinking about it during the playoffs.  Its more of a comfort feeling gonig into the playoffs than a antagonistic contract issue coming up.  

Personally, I'd consider significant trade packages for him, but I think he's staying.

Yeah I'd agree to an extent. He has an offer and I'd bet Gute has made it clear that they won't even consider trading him until Rodgers makes it clear that the Packers can't afford him. 

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Rodgers winning another MVP and Gute bringing in Cobb, Campbell, Douglas, Stokes and Myers this season made this a necessity for both sides. No rational reason for the club to part with either, so they had to make it work. 

Unfortunately will never get to make that mock where we have like 5 picks in the top 100.

Probably but never say never. A lot of time for a offseason curveball

23 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

I believe it will be decided very quickly after the season, maybe before.  The Packer have a lot of work to do with other contracts  if he stays.  This isn't something they can drag on for weeks or months.    

The Bible verse reads "Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.  Each day has enough trouble of its own."  I think that is so totally applicable for Gute and the Packers.  A day will come, hopefully not this weekend, when this season is over.  But for now lets just win tomorrow!  

But once it is done, I don't think the Packers really control this.  It's Aaron's call.  Any contract extension or restructure, it's Aaron who needs to sign that.  The Packers will need to respect and appreciate Rodgers' timeline, his need to decompress or reconsider, to get over the agony of a loss, or the thrill of victory.  Yes, they can communicate and respectfully explain how other dominoes depend on his decision, so that he appreciates the impact.  But they can't press him harder than he's ready to process.  

I feel likewise about his price-tag.  Sure, they can communicate how taking a team-friendly contract would intend zero disrespect, or reflect their appreciate of his value.  But it's totally his call on whether he's OK to take a sub-market deal.  *IF* he wants a market-appropriate deal as a manifestation of respect, that's his call.  I don't think that Packers will want to blow it up rather than give him a fair-market offer. 

53 minutes ago, craig said:

The Bible verse reads "Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.  Each day has enough trouble of its own."  I think that is so totally applicable for Gute and the Packers.  A day will come, hopefully not this weekend, when this season is over.  But for now lets just win tomorrow!  

But once it is done, I don't think the Packers really control this.  It's Aaron's call.  Any contract extension or restructure, it's Aaron who needs to sign that.  The Packers will need to respect and appreciate Rodgers' timeline, his need to decompress or reconsider, to get over the agony of a loss, or the thrill of victory.  Yes, they can communicate and respectfully explain how other dominoes depend on his decision, so that he appreciates the impact.  But they can't press him harder than he's ready to process.  

I feel likewise about his price-tag.  Sure, they can communicate how taking a team-friendly contract would intend zero disrespect, or reflect their appreciate of his value.  But it's totally his call on whether he's OK to take a sub-market deal.  *IF* he wants a market-appropriate deal as a manifestation of respect, that's his call.  I don't think that Packers will want to blow it up rather than give him a fair-market offer. 

Respecting Rodgers timeline may not coincide with the leagues timeline in getting under the cap.  Again there's a lot of work to do.  I think it will be very quick and Rodgers has mentioned it won't drag out.  

2 hours ago, craig said:

I really can't even imagine how much emotion, and perhaps pressure, there is.  It's kind of amazing that guys are able to stay as composed as they do. 

If you listen to the PCs during the week, you can tell what the Packers weekly messaging is. LaFleur says it and then 4 or 5 players will repeat it. This week it is clearly, “just treat this as any other game”.  At first I thought that was kind of a lousy message; but now I think what it is designed to do is mitigate that pressure. Go 1-0 every week, and do your job on each play. The results will come.  Hopefully, they can manifest this and we have no worries. 

• Like 1

Yiadom is a little surprising.  He has played A LOT of special teams snaps.  And you don't have to tell me that our special teams is bad, I know.  Or that Yiadom is lost most of the time when he lines up at CB.  But still, a player that got that many snaps is surprising to me.

2 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Yiadom is a little surprising.  He has played A LOT of special teams snaps.  And you don't have to tell me that our special teams is bad, I know.  Or that Yiadom is lost most of the time when he lines up at CB.  But still, a player that got that many snaps is surprising to me.

Other side of the coin: our special teams have been BAD, so maybe him getting a lot of snaps contributed to our badness 

(But I'm also a tiny bit surprised to see him cut)