Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

3 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Great college players flopping in the pros could actually be an argument that the coaching staff maxes out the potential of their players, so that when they get to the next level and have to step it up, there's nowhere left to go. 

Point taken. But with Keke and Sternberger it seems to be more about commitment and character than production on the playing field.

These guys had some tough breaks to be sure with the concussions and other injuries. But they both missed practice and playing time beyond those. It's clear Sternberger was in the doghouse with the Tight End coach, and probably others as well, before the season started. The Packers promptly cut him loose after his suspension.

Kingsley Keke went from being a starter to a healthy scratch. Then the Packers cut him before a divisional playoff game. This isn't about performance it's a matter of character and commitment.

Edited by JQ1

15 minutes ago, JQ1 said:

Point taken. But with Keke and Sternberger it seems to be more about commitment and character than production on the playing field.

They both had some tough breaks to be sure with the concussions and other injuries. But they both missed practice and playing time beyond those issues. It's clear Sternberger was in the doghouse with the Tight End coach, and probably others as well, before the season started. The Packers promptly cut him loose after his suspension.

Kingsley Keke went from being a starter to a healthy scratch. Then the Packers cut him before a divisional playoff game. This isn't about performance it's a matter of character and commitment.

Dude we're 3 wins away from a chip! Who cares about character now? You put the best talent on the field period! Belichick did that when he benched Butler in the SB they lost to the Eagles, how did that work out for him? You put your best players out there to win games, fans don't care about you making a example out of guys in the doghouse.

6 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Dude we're 3 wins away from a chip! Who cares about character now? You put the best talent on the field period! Belichick did that when he benched Butler in the SB they lost to the Eagles, how did that work out for him? You put your best players out there to win games, fans don't care about you making a example out of guys in the doghouse.

Apparently the Packers do. It's clear they wanted Keke out of the locker room.

Edited by JQ1

19 minutes ago, St Vince said:

His lack of commitment probably makes him a bad player though

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Maybe there's zero interest. He was less productive than Tipa Galelai this year.

2 hours ago, VonKarman said:

Garvin has more sacks than Lawson this year. He has the same as Krys Barnes, TJ Slaton and Tipa Galeai.

Perhaps there is no interest. There's always a collection of coaches that think they can get more out of a player though. And there's always an accounting for being on a bad team and what big games can bring out of a veteran. Still think there's a possibility that the interest is there from playoff teams and Lawson is waiting to see who's left after this weekend.

2 hours ago, Jaire_Island said:

Some doctor messed up Bhak’s ACL. 

I hope his knee comes around, but if it's going to be something the Packers are always having to manage they need to figure out a way to get out of his deal, or rework it at least.  You can't pay top dollar to someone that's got a balky knee.

14 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I hope his knee comes around, but if it's going to be something the Packers are always having to manage they need to figure out a way to get out of his deal, or rework it at least.  You can't pay top dollar to someone that's got a balky knee.

He's got a $39m dead cap hit next year. Safe to say he'll still be around. 

The real trick comes this offseason. Every mock I've looked at has a base assumption that we work around some of Bakh's roster bonus into signing bonus to free up cap space. As much as I don't like his $39m dead cap hit next year, I'm even less excited about a $20m dead cap hit in 2023 if we think his knee is bad.

Edited by pgwingman
typo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Or Tipa maybe about to get cut for Z. (Or perhaps a DB for Jaire)

That seems logical but thats not what I want it to be about so I don't acknowledge that view.

I just want clarity on an old draft crush

Edited by HighCalebR
  • Like 1