Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

Look he did learn something while he was here!

Don’t know who was preaching it, but I’ve seen Tae fight guys off of the ball in a 2min offense to get the ball back to the official. Glad Jace saw how the pros do it, even if he’s no longer a pro. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Gute's gonna take a TON of heat for trading Rodgers, and it only dissipates IF Love performs well.  I mean, go look at the whole Favre saga.

You're confusing "heat" with pressure.   Pressure first, possible heat later.  There is always pressure with every move from draft to veteran moves for every team, for every GM.  The majority of fans know the issues of last year, they know his lords age, they know our cap situation.  Trading him is a viable option, and it may be one we have little choice in.  The key is in how we roll with it after the fact.  If we end up ripping the team apart for a mini cap rebuild nobody will expect Super Bowl no matter who is the QB.  There is going to be a transition, and these days a large percentile of fans if not majority know that.  Love will be given every chance and we will continue to search for QB's, possibly even in the 22 draft if value presents itself.  They'll find one if they don't have one.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 15412 said:

If we end up ripping the team apart for a mini cap rebuild nobody will expect Super Bowl no matter who is the QB. 

Focused in on this comment for the following reason. If we have a period like this, the QB may not matter much, but the GM will be vitally important. I feel Gute and team can re-balance the ship and after watching other GMs around the league try and fail.......I'd rather stick with a known quantity.

That day is going to come.  Don't think it's next year tho.  Still believe we have Rodgers for another 2-3 years yet.  Gute is going to kick the can and try to keep the team competitive.  Day of reckoning is coming.  It won't be pretty.  We'll have to gut the roster and start over.  My biggest concern is finding and developing the next great QB.  If we get lucky maybe it's Love.  Ideally we want the next guy to learn under Rodgers.  Since our draft picks are so vitally important I'd take a shot at some cast offs.  Highly drafted QB prospects that busted out with bad teams.  Bring one in to compete with Love.

• Like 1

Question:  Can they consummate a trade involving Aaron Rodgers BEFORE the Packers are under the Salary Cap for next year.  Over the Cap says we are $41 million over the cap.  I know we can extend / restructure his contract before the 1st business day of the year with the cap savings applied immediately.  But can you trade him before you get under the cap.  So do we need to cut $41 million before we can trade him?

10 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Look he did learn something while he was here!

I thought someone on TV this morning made a somewhat valid point, that your pass catchers are more practiced with this than your QB. It doesn't excuse anything but it makes sense. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Norm said:

I thought someone on TV this morning made a somewhat valid point, that your pass catchers are more practiced with this than your QB. It doesn't excuse anything but it makes sense. 

Fair.  But if you run that play for this situation, the player with the ball needs to know that as well.  

It was implied that Dallas had practiced this, so that should have been part of the process.

Coach fail.  Player fail.  Maybe either or both.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 8:40 PM, {Family Ghost} said:

It allows you to bring Love along at the intended pace when he was drafted (3 years).  It gives you some cover in case Love doesn't progress.  It also gives Adams a pretty good reason to stick around.  He and Carr are tight.  If Love ups his game in the preseason you can deal Carr for some picks.  He's a quality NFL starting QB. 

No chance we take a 20m cap hit on Carr that would be madness. 26m dead cap on Rodgers, 20m on Carr. Love has a cap hit of 3.3m  so that's 50m on QBs to have Carr as QB.

If we trade Rodgers then we have to roll with Love. Its his 3rd season can't babysit him forever and you need to learn on the job. Probably need a vet backup but they need to be cheap. If we aren't contending which we almost certainly wouldn't be then you don't want to be cap kicking.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 3:05 PM, 15412 said:

You're confusing "heat" with pressure.   Pressure first, possible heat later.  There is always pressure with every move from draft to veteran moves for every team, for every GM.  The majority of fans know the issues of last year, they know his lords age, they know our cap situation.  Trading him is a viable option, and it may be one we have little choice in.  The key is in how we roll with it after the fact.  If we end up ripping the team apart for a mini cap rebuild nobody will expect Super Bowl no matter who is the QB.  There is going to be a transition, and these days a large percentile of fans if not majority know that.  Love will be given every chance and we will continue to search for QB's, possibly even in the 22 draft if value presents itself.  They'll find one if they don't have one.

True but is it worth putting that pressure on yourself.

If Rodgers wants to stay and Gute trades him then Love needs to work out (or Rodgers falls off a cliff). Otherwise the pressure will turn into quite serious heat. If Rodgers wins a title elsewhere and Love busts its going to go down as one of the worst GM moves in history. Obviously if Rodgers demands out then that's a different game. 

If Rodgers wants to stay I'm pretty sure that we just sign the deal and work everything around it. double MVP (maybe) going to have to work with a weaker roster and prove he's as good as he (and most people) think. 

PackersHistory.com -  Four times in 2021 Allen Lazard recorded 5+ receptions in a single-game (including the final two weeks of the season). That matches how many 5+ reception games he had in his entire career prior to 2021. Love seeing former depth players develop into difference makers.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

PackersHistory.com -  Four times in 2021 Allen Lazard recorded 5+ receptions in a single-game (including the final two weeks of the season). That matches how many 5+ reception games he had in his entire career prior to 2021. (Jordan) Love seeing former depth players develop into difference makers.

I read it like this the first time lol