Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

When I look at the Packers roster I am amazed at how different it is compared to last year.

Of the 76 players who were on our roster at the end of last season, only 34 has survived. :o

Major names of those who departed since the end of 2017 season: Hundley, Ripkowski, Nelson, R.Rodgers, Burnett, Clinton-Dix, Randall, Goode, Montgomery, Rollins.

When you look at our current defence on the 53 man roster only 9 has two or more seasons with the Packers. There's a lot of chopping and changing and it will be a while before it all settles down. Five of our defensive backs were acquired within the last 4 months. I would find it hard to believe we would suddenly find some NFL starting calibre players at this stage of the season. I think they are just looking for guys who will provide better quality depth for next season to supplement our drafted and free agent defensive backs.

Its the same on offence- completely new group of WRs and TEs.

At this point it become clear that we're not "retooling" as many of you seem to believe, we're actually "rebuilding". Realistically we're not going to fix all our problems in one offseason. Next year will be a settling in period with the new Head Coach, new coaching staff and a practically brand new roster. I think we're aiming for 2020 and 2021 superbowls - that is if Rodgers gets his mojo back.

TT has developed our roster so badly over the last 5-6 years that Gute must've looked at it and realised he needed to completely turn it over.

Whether Gute is bringing in the right players remains to be seen. Free agency wasn't great and his first draft so far has been ok. Our next draft will be our most important draft in a decade - we really need to get this right.

Edited by Chili

4 hours ago, Chili said:

When I look at the Packers roster I am amazed at how different it is compared to last year.

Of the 76 players who were on our roster at the end of last season, only 34 has survived. :o

Major names of those who departed since the end of 2017 season: Hundley, Ripkowski, Nelson, R.Rodgers, Burnett, Clinton-Dix, Randall, Goode, Montgomery, Rollins.

When you look at our current defence on the 53 man roster only 9 has two or more seasons with the Packers. There's a lot of chopping and changing and it will be a while before it all settles down. Five of our defensive backs were acquired within the last 4 months. I would find it hard to believe we would suddenly find some NFL starting calibre players at this stage of the season. I think they are just looking for guys who will provide better quality depth for next season to supplement our drafted and free agent defensive backs.

Its the same on offence- completely new group of WRs and TEs.

At this point it become clear that we're not "retooling" as many of you seem to believe, we're actually "rebuilding". Realistically we're not going to fix all our problems in one offseason. Next year will be a settling in period with the new Head Coach, new coaching staff and a practically brand new roster. I think we're aiming for 2020 and 2021 superbowls - that is if Rodgers gets his mojo back.

TT has developed our roster so badly over the last 5-6 years that Gute must've looked at it and realised he needed to completely turn it over.

Whether Gute is bringing in the right players remains to be seen. Free agency wasn't great and his first draft so far has been ok. Our next draft will be our most important draft in a decade - we really need to get this right.

I'm no blind lover of TT (I agree 100% it was time for him to go) but we need to stop blaming him for everything - the roster put together by Gute is probably weaker then the vast majority of rosters put together by TT. Whereas TT showed an unhealthy level of loyalty, Gute has gone the other way with an "if in doubt, kick them out" approach which looks equally as unhealthy.

The question is whether, there was somewhere in the middle that could have made this team contenders this season ?   Or was this year always going to be a write off ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Releasing Jordy was a mistake, and I'm standing by that in spite of his lack of production in the dumpster fire in Oakland.  Our red zone issues aren't there with a guy Rodgers trusts and has a chemistry with. 

I did and will always continue to believe we should have released Cobb over Jordy.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Golfman said:

Kept telling people he was terrible. Nobody listened and we stole that pick from the Redskins. He's not going to get paid the way people think. 

What else do none of us know? Can you share more of this wisdom?

Edited by Kepler
  • Like 1

Michael Cohen‏Verified account @Michael_Cohen13

#Packers WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling organizes a homeless drive to distribute essential items on Christmas Day. As it turns out, his event is several generations in the making for a family built on giving. That's why @MVS__11 is our Person of the Year: https://theathletic.com/701034/2018/12/10/marquez-valdes-scantling-continuing-a-family-tradition-of-helping-the-homeless/

Appears that MVS is "Packer People."

Hope he keeps on improving enough to become my next "favorite" player now that Jordy is gone.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2018 at 11:51 AM, Outpost31 said:

Releasing Jordy was a mistake, and I'm standing by that in spite of his lack of production in the dumpster fire in Oakland.  Our red zone issues aren't there with a guy Rodgers trusts and has a chemistry with. 

Look at Cooper after he left and it's not like Dak is good

• Like 1

So far this season, Jordy has 41 receptions for 498 yards (12.1 ypr) and 3 TDs.

As a Jordy fan, I could not be happier for him that he is getting $13,000,000 guaranteed for his play in 2018 and 2019.

As a Packer fan, I am thrilled Jordy is getting that $ from the Oakland Raiders.

Now, if we want to look at a player in Oakland who sure would have looked good in Green and Gold (in 2017 and 2018), that TE seems to be having a pretty good season: 61 Catches for 825 yards (13.5 ypr) and 6 TDs.

17 hours ago, packfanfb said:

😂🤣

I don't begrudge HaHa anything, but watching "highlights" and reading analysis of his performance in Washington,  Gute deserves some major accolades. That pick is going to end up around #110 and could net us a really good player or help us move up in the draft.