Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

16 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I don't remember but that would have been in the prior collective bargaining agreement so maybe it has changed. 

NOTE: I looked it up and he was indeed suspended 5 games for the free tattoos he received at OSU. Imagine Watson initially only getting six games. Maybe why NFLPA wanted that changed in new CBA. 

Buffalo Bills punter Matt Araiza sits preseason finale; wants to 'set record straight' about gang rape lawsuit (espn.com) 

The NFL on Thursday said it was aware of the incident but declined to comment. Because the alleged rape happened before Araiza was drafted, he would not be subject to the league's personal conduct policy.

Unreal. 

The thing about the Pryor suspension FWIW, is that the NFL took exception to a player using the Supplemental draft to dodge an NCAA suspension.  Since the timeline was: NCAA suspends Pryor 5 games, Pryor says "I'm out" and declares for the Supplemental Draft, the NFL decides to carry over the same 5 game suspension.

Really, they could have chose to do nothing since the NFL doesn't care if you get free tattoos.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The thing about the Pryor suspension FWIW, is that the NFL took exception to a player using the Supplemental draft to dodge an NCAA suspension.  Since the timeline was: NCAA suspends Pryor 5 games, Pryor says "I'm out" and declares for the Supplemental Draft, the NFL decides to carry over the same 5 game suspension.

Really, they could have chose to do nothing since the NFL doesn't care if you get free tattoos.

Again, it appears it is now in the collective bargaining agreement the NFL cannot reprimand people for things they did prior to being drafted or joining a team. 

I get the 'catch' you are bringing up but would think they could not do that under the current CBA. It says right in the article I posted they couldn't because it happened when he was in college, not the NFL. 

2 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The NFL's position of "hey, don't draft guys if you know they're rapists" does appear to have some holes in it, given that NFL teams appear to be increasingly willing to not learn things about players they like.

55d22236-3196-4ae3-be27-44de9ba5d91e_tex

See, I think they are in the clear here.  They don't KNOW he is a rapist, they just strongly believe that he is a rapist.

26 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean, La'el Collins was a guy with first round buzz that the NFL allowed to go completely undrafted because the cops wanted to talk to him about a murder investigation in which he was not a suspect (the victim was an ex-girlfriend of Mr. Collins.)

That was brutal what happened to him. 

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I'm just really unclear on why a team refused to assume the risk of drafting La'el Collins (or Tony Washington for that matter, look that one up) when the Bills were either fine about taking the risk of blowback or simply refused to do due diligence for a PUNTER.

Being more charitable to the Bills, perhaps they knew about some allegations, but didn't know the whole story? They may have even gotten his side of the story, and he just said he has some crazy stalker.  Even then, you probably put any red flags on a punter out of your mind by just removing that punter off the board.  

• Like 1

Bruce Irons - Packers FTW -  

Vikings fans then: "We stole Greg Jennings! Aaron Rodgers is gonna be terrible!"

Vikings fans then: "Jordy Nelson is gone! Aaron Rodgers is gonna be terrible!"

Vikings fans now: "This time is different!"