Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

19 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

He looked good this pre-season?

He was fine. He's a dude who was hyped to be a first round guy when he was a sophomore (undeservedly imo). Kinda played himself down to an UDFA, but still had the traits.

He was starting to put it together, at least on the inside. Don't expect an all pro, but a solid enough bench depth guy. 

• Like 1

From the Packerswire post regarding his trade:

Van Lanen played 71 snaps (65 at left guard, six at right tackle) over two preseason games with the Packers this summer. He didn’t allow a pressure and has the team’s highest overall grade in pass protection, per Pro Football Focus.

53 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

He looked good this pre-season?

I want to say that when camp opened, he was running with the 1's.  While our two starting tackles were hurt.  Or maybe that was off-season mini camps.

Either way he was surpassed by draft picks pretty quickly.

That being said...I think he has the talent to play in the league.  He needed strength coming out.  

Our o-line coach is now our OC...and he is excellent at developing linemen.  It says something that this trade happened. 

Hopefully he helps you out, but I'd be leery if you throw him out there as a starter this year.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, St Vince said:

He wasn't making the 53.  Best to get something for him instead of letting him end up in Chicago.

Yep. Plus if things bust in Jax, he’s a hometown boy so he’ll probably be just down the street next July. 

Makes the hill for Hanson or Jones a bit easier to climb. 

Edited by Refugee

1 hour ago, Kampfgeist said:

From the Packerswire post regarding his trade:

Van Lanen played 71 snaps (65 at left guard, six at right tackle) over two preseason games with the Packers this summer. He didn’t allow a pressure and has the team’s highest overall grade in pass protection, per Pro Football Focus.

Well, there you have it.  Gute just traded our highest rated pass protector on the OL for peanuts.  Fool.

Disclaimer: I can neither confirm nor deny that I think PFF OL grades are useless.

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Well, there you have it.  Gute just traded our highest rated pass protector on the OL for peanuts.  Fool.

Disclaimer: I can neither confirm nor deny that I think PFF OL grades are useless.

I'm working on that. I've been saying that every year for the last 5 years. I mean it this year. 

1 hour ago, deltarich87 said:

Still in disbelief they not only kept him as their kicker but didn't even have him take a paycut after the year he had.

I feel like Robbie Gould is a cautionary tale for a lot of NFL franchises.  He was a good kicker for the Bears for a lot of years, but they asked him to take a paycut because he was getting up there in age and might be falling off, Gould says "no thanks" becomes a free agent, finds another team where he's been great.  Meanwhile the Bears have had kicking mishaps so severe that they literally ruined a head coach (as Matt Nagy *obsessed* about the double doink.)

• Like 1