Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

44 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Didn't he get hurt on the 1st drive of the game? SF's defense was clearly gassed and once Purdy got hurt, the wind went out of the niners sails. 

I think he was out for one play and a tv timeout.  Oren Burks replaced him.  Yeah, that guy.

But he played the whole game.  And was dominating 2 out of 3 plays.  

45 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Didn't he get hurt on the 1st drive of the game? SF's defense was clearly gassed and once Purdy got hurt, the wind went out of the niners sails. 

They were also playing desperate knowing insane defense was the only way they would be able to compete. Unfortunately that led to a lot of penalties.  It sucked for the flow of the game but the penalties were legit and should have been called. 

54 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I was surprised by Warner in San Fran.  He's like the best ILB that I've seen in a while.  And here's the thing.  I know he's excellent.  But he would be excellent on 2 plays at a time.  Then on the third play, he'd get stoned and a longer run would happen.

Of the 4 teams that played yesterday, he was the last elite ILB standing.  And he was run over on the score board.

Course, the Eagles offensive line is no joke.

But, that was my take away.  Let other teams pay top end dollars to ILB's.  I prefer to pay that position the Campbell contract.

It is a position you hope to get a good duo and then churn some mid round picks to find a good one and always be able to replace one guy. Paying two at a premium is probably not worth it. Still, if you get a guy who can cover and stop the run, that is a very valuable piece with these offenses that spread the ball around.  Just like RB, an elite player can change your team, but a very good player is not as hard to find and much cheaper if you are using the draft correctly. 

4 minutes ago, Refugee said:

It is a position you hope to get a good duo and then churn some mid round picks to find a good one and always be able to replace one guy. Paying two at a premium is probably not worth it. Still, if you get a guy who can cover and stop the run, that is a very valuable piece with these offenses that spread the ball around.  Just like RB, an elite player can change your team, but a very good player is not as hard to find and much cheaper if you are using the draft correctly. 

To me, it comes down to money.  If you have to pay elite ILB money like Warner or Roquan Smith money, they aren't worth it.  Maybe some are if you have a good QB on a rookie deal, then all bets are off.

But there were 4 teams on the field yesterday.  The only reason I know one of the KC backers is because we talked about him when he was drafted.  Gay is his name.  And he's fine.  I don't know if he is near elite.

I remember a Wilson kid from the Bengals because he played a great game once a year ago and then couldn't make a final big play.    Thought I can't remember the exact game.  Super Bowl maybe?  

I can't tell you who plays ILB for the Eagles.

And I knew who Warner was and how good he played.

But this I know...Chris Jones flat out wrecked the game yesterday.  Second round pick for the love of God.  We had a pick 10 picks earlier.  We got a good one, but Jones is elite.  We chose Clark.

25 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

To me, it comes down to money.  If you have to pay elite ILB money like Warner or Roquan Smith money, they aren't worth it.  Maybe some are if you have a good QB on a rookie deal, then all bets are off.

But there were 4 teams on the field yesterday.  The only reason I know one of the KC backers is because we talked about him when he was drafted.  Gay is his name.  And he's fine.  I don't know if he is near elite.

I remember a Wilson kid from the Bengals because he played a great game once a year ago and then couldn't make a final big play.    Thought I can't remember the exact game.  Super Bowl maybe?  

I can't tell you who plays ILB for the Eagles.

And I knew who Warner was and how good he played.

But this I know...Chris Jones flat out wrecked the game yesterday.  Second round pick for the love of God.  We had a pick 10 picks earlier.  We got a good one, but Jones is elite.  We chose Clark.

Guys who can pass rush will always be premium picks. If you have a very good ILB they might give you some of that like a Parsons or hopefully Quay. I don’t think you should overpay, but if you find a guy like Warner in the 3rd you might extend him to a solid contract and then hopefully keep searching for the next young guy to fill in. In Barry’s defense, it seems ILB is a bit more important than have been utilized here in the past. Hopefully we are covered there for the next few years with a quality plan of succession so we don’t have to overpay but can keep talent there. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sandy said:

With science you have faith in the assumptions that you create from the data you have.

There is no faith in science. Scientists are always skeptical, always testing. Look up Karl Popper. He said an hypothesis can be falsified, but never proven absolutely. His classical example was his "all swans are white" hypothesis. In order to prove that, you would have to examine every swan. Every swan! And then how do you know you haven't missed one? But you can falsify the hypothesis simply by finding one non-white swan. (At the time he gave his example he didn't know about the Australian black swan!) 

8 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

There is no faith in science. Scientists are always skeptical, always testing. Look up Karl Popper. He said an hypothesis can be falsified, but never proven absolutely. His classical example was his "all swans are white" hypothesis. In order to prove that, you would have to examine every swan. Every swan! And then how do you know you haven't missed one? But you can falsify the hypothesis simply by finding one non-white swan. (At the time he gave his example he didn't know about the Australian black swan!) 

Do you have faith that if you jump, you'll land on the ground? Or are you concerned you'll keep floating up forever?

That faith is in science.

1 hour ago, Sandy said:

Do you have faith that if you jump, you'll land on the ground? Or are you concerned you'll keep floating up forever?

That's not faith. You have countless proof of what you expect to happen. And if suddenly that stops happening you correct your assumptions.

7 hours ago, Sandy said:

That has nothing to do with faith. That is knowledge based on our current understanding of gravity and reinforced by billions of tests by millions of people everyday. Faith would be jumping without any of that. 

An example of faith is belief in God. There is absolutely no direct evidence of the existence of a God, but billions of people have faith that there is a God, including me.

Science is a collection of theories, each theory supported by massive amounts of evidence. If enough evidence accrues that contradicts a theory, that theory is dropped and replaced by a better one (one that is supported by ALL the evidence). One example is the replacement of the Ptolemaic model of the universe with out current one. Science is still filling in all the details of the current theory. That's what science does. The final theory will be based on evidence, not faith. Faith has no place in this process.

16 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

An example of faith is belief in God. There is absolutely no direct evidence of the existence of a God, but billions of people have faith that there is a God, including me.

Fun fact.  God spelled backwards is Dog.  And that really fits, doesn't it?

Taco Cat spelled backwards is still Taco Cat.

31 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

That has nothing to do with faith. That is knowledge based on our current understanding of gravity and reinforced by billions of tests by millions of people everyday. Faith would be jumping without any of that. 

Science is a collection of theories, each theory supported by massive amounts of evidence. If enough evidence accrues that contradicts a theory, that theory is dropped and replaced by a better one (one that is supported by ALL the evidence). One example is the replacement of the Ptolemaic model of the universe with out current one. Science is still filling in all the details of the current theory. That's what science does. The final theory will be based on evidence, not faith. Faith has no place in this process.

Since you're in the spirit of redefining faith based on religion, and since admittedly I went too simple of an example, let me put it another way.

DVOA. It's science. I had faith the Minnesota Vikings would not beat the Giants due to the assumptions I made from that science. I bet money on the Giants. Giants win. Faith in science is rewarded.

Edit: I think where you're losing it is confusing science with the scientific method. Pretty big difference for non-scientists.

Edited by Sandy