Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

20 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Since you're in the spirit of redefining faith based on religion, and since admittedly I went too simple of an example, let me put it another way.

DVOA. It's science. I had faith the Minnesota Vikings would not beat the Giants due to the assumptions I made from that science. I bet money on the Giants. Giants win. Faith in science is rewarded.

Edit: I think where you're losing it is confusing science with the scientific method. Pretty big difference for non-scientists.

Enough.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Bust out the popsicle sticks and eggs!  Let's see who can win the egg drop!

Since there was no grade difference whether or not the egg broke, I always designed mine so that the egg would break, so there would be a mess.  Those projects were more about intro to writing a science paper, than actually running a successful experiment.  

We also made those model rockets.  I glued the nose cone on mine so it would go up and explode.  It didn't explode, but it did catch on fire and plummet to the ground.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Since there was no grade difference whether or not the egg broke, I always designed mine so that the egg would break, so there would be a mess.  Those projects were more about intro to writing a science paper, than actually running a successful experiment.  

We also made those model rockets.  I glued the nose cone on mine so it would go up and explode.  It didn't explode, but it did catch on fire and plummet to the ground.

Interesting take about the egg drop.

I viewed it as an introduction to the scientific method.  Trial and error.

I broke a lot of eggs before I found a model that could keep the egg intact.  And I feel like my trials were successful, but during the big drop...it was not successful.

So while we're desperate for a new topic, can someone give me an assement of Josh Myers? I'm no expert on line play, but at the end of the season i began to notice him being graded really low. Like, bottom 5 in the league low.

Is that a misassessment? Is it bad pass blocking, bad run blocking? 

On the flip side, is there anyone else on the line that should be considered for Center snaps? I thought Jenkins and Tom had both played center in college.

9 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

So while we're desperate for a new topic, can someone give me an assement of Josh Myers? I'm no expert on line play, but at the end of the season i began to notice him being graded really low. Like, bottom 5 in the league low.

On the flip side, is there anyone else on the line that should be considered for Center snaps? I thought Jenkins and Tom had both played center in college.

Myers has been woefully inconsistent. PFF had him rated 28th among starting Centers mainly due to poor run blocking grades.  I expect him to have some competition in camp either from Jenkins or Tom. Or from a draft pick.  He won't just be handed the starting job as he has been the last 2 years. 

21 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Josh started out looking like he took a step, then got dinged up again and the line was still not in full form. I wonder if he had some lingering injuries but he has not been what we have hoped so far. He also has not been bad and when you see that big frame roving out there in the run game, he is a menace. With Creed Humphrey crushing it, that will always be the measuring stick but I think he still can take another step and hopefully will justify his investment. 

Edited by Refugee

43 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

The cliff notes: Josh Myers = not great. Josh Myers taken over Creed Humphrey = really not great. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Myers has been woefully inconsistent. PFF had him rated 28th among starting Centers mainly due to poor run blocking grades.  I expect him to have some competition in camp either from Jenkins or Tom. Or from a draft pick.  He won't just be handed the starting job as he has been the last 2 years. 

I don't know if we want Jenkins at center.  He has shown he is a superior/Pro Bowl guard.

• Like 1

My thoughts on Myers at center.

If you have to look at PFF to determine if he is good or not, then he's fine.

To me, I didn't really notice him this past year.  Good or bad.

What I did notice is meh guard play around him.  Poor play with Hanson and Newman.  

And that's a big part of center play...communicating with the guards next to you for combos...etc.

He's a very large man and he can move.  If we do draft a center who beats him out of the center spot, I hope he gets a crack at guard.

• Like 1