Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

We fired McCarthy mid-season.

Would MLF do it though? I feel like Murphy "had" to (I mean, he didn't but he did) but I don't know if MLF would be capable of that unless it seems like Barry has absolutely lost the locker room.

Edited by Striker

24 minutes ago, R T said:

Gray made the decision to not extend before Barry was hired, he was more of a Pettine guy like Smith was than a MLF guy. Losing Jerry Gray is no great loss. 

Oh I really couldn't care less about Gray. Bob's comment was just funny to me about him distancing himself from Barry. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

We fired McCarthy mid-season.

Actually not. MM was let go after week 12 of a 16 week season.

The point I'm making is I dont think that's "the Packer way" - so I asked for names (cause I couldnt think of any) and all we can come up with is MM.

i.e. - I think our best shot to rid ourselves of Barry is during the offseason....which doesnt appear likely.

Edited by Leader

5 minutes ago, Striker said:

Would MLF do it though? I feel like Murphy "had" to (I mean, he didn't but he did) but I don't know if MLF would be capable of that unless it seems like Barry has absolutely lost the locker room.

No idea, if Matt's willing to be fired in order to preserve his assistants' jobs, that's his prerogative. If the defense starts out with a thud in the first half of the season, he needs to make a change.

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Actually not. MM was let go after week 12 of a 16 week season.

The point I'm making is I dont think that's "the Packer way" - so I asked for names (cause I couldnt think of any) and all we can come up with is MM.

That's mid-season. It doesn't mean he had to be fired on week 8. Just during the season.

It's a moot point anyway, I'm not predicting it's going to happen, I said "hope."

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

No idea, if Matt's willing to be fired in order to preserve his assistants' jobs, that's his prerogative. If the defense starts out with a thud in the first half of the season, he needs to make a change.

He needs to do it now.....when the top qualified candidates are all moving around.
With some mid-season thing, you're probably looking at a promotion of somebody already on the staff.
Who knows......in Barry's case it might turn out to be an improvement.

19 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Anyone who openly took issue with the crap we called our scheme for the first 10 games of the season is a loss. Now with Barry as DC it really doesn't matter who our position coaches are because we're destined for a bottom half defense, so this really is an irrelevant loss.

My only hope is we lure someone big with the hopes if Barry is canned 6 weeks in, we have an interim capable of the job.

If Barry gets canned during next season, MLF may not be that far behind for not being the head coach he should be.  Just can't understand his thinking on retaining Barry .. especially for keeping the continuity of the team.  Does he really want the same results next year as this year?!  

14 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

My only hope is we lure someone big with the hopes if Barry is canned 6 weeks in, we have an interim capable of the job.

Do you see Matt as the type of guy who can pull that trigger though? Maybe I've just lost too much faith in him over deciding to hire Barry in the first place and then doubling down on him again, but LaFleur just strikes me as the guy who is at home talking to the mirror about how he's going to confront his subordinate at work and tell him he's going to be fired if he doesn't improve his work product, but then when he actually sees him the next morning he rolls over and says "hey buddy, keep trying your best out there." 

9 hours ago, pgwingman said:

So while we're desperate for a new topic, can someone give me an assement of Josh Myers? I'm no expert on line play, but at the end of the season i began to notice him being graded really low. Like, bottom 5 in the league low.

Is that a misassessment? Is it bad pass blocking, bad run blocking? 

On the flip side, is there anyone else on the line that should be considered for Center snaps? I thought Jenkins and Tom had both played center in college.

As was said earlier, his rankings weren't great.  But did we really lose any games because Myers played poorly? I don't recall.  I don't really even recall any plays where he got beaten really bad.  

As far as a back-up  center, I think I would prefer a draft pick. As cool as it is for Jenkins and Tom to be able to play multiple positions, I really am sick of the musical chairs at OL every time one of them goes out.  

2 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

I feel like Barry has already lost the locker room.

I don't think so. I don't think the defense would have rebounded the way it did last 5 weeks if he had lost the room. Would have been easy to pack it in when the team was 4-8. That didn't happen. Might have been close, but it didn't happen.  

• Like 5

The other thing that came across strong to me from Rodgers on the Pat Show was that when talking about the story of Doubs saying that Rodgers didn't hang out with him, Rodgers went on to list the players he does hang out with and with the exception of Bakh they are all free agents: Cobb, Crosby, Lazard and Bobby T.

That's not news to any of us, but the fact that this is the second time he has listed off these players names, the fact that he picked them and no other players he might possibly hang out with, he is sending his message out again in his passive aggressive way. For me it already seems like he  knows from his conversations with the Packers that these boys ain't coming back. That coupled with his strong emphasis of how much he loves Nathaniel Hackett, and that he is one of his favourite coaches that he has worked with, it pretty much seems like the writing is on the wall.

• Like 2