Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

11 hours ago, Sandy said:

Sure, years ago there was an interest, but so far this coaching cycle there's been no actual news to imply something like this will happen. 

I'm not saying it won't happen, just odd how much people keep expecting Leonhard to be on this coaching staff next year.

Just can’t see that as a likely move for Leonhard. If anything, he’s tied to the Ryan/Pettine coaching tree. More likely to end up in Minnesota than here but neither seems like a good move for him. 

3 hours ago, CrazyJoeDavola said:

From what I have read the contract from Wisconsin still pays Leonhard $1 million this year so he has no real incentive to take a job unless it's something perfect for this season. I could see him taking a DC job but doubt he takes a position coach job this year

I think there is language in there too about what actual coaching positions he could take and still get the full 1 million amount. I bet he takes at least the year off regardless. 

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

The Packers Wire -  Many thought the Packers defense could be elite. The group was nothing if not average. NFL.com picked Joe Barry’s group as one of the most under performing units of 2022.

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Yet Barry returns! 

"It's not what you know; it's who you know."--my grandmother 

8 minutes ago, PackFan13 said:

No shot lazard is looking for 15 million, right? That's twice what he's worth 

It depends on the teams in the market for WRs.  Lazard is a very good blocker, averages 13 yards per reception and is a big target.  Last season, he had a career low in catch percentage, but also a career high in targets, yards, and catches.  If you think he is trending toward poor hands, you probably don't pay him.  But, this was his only season below 66% catch rate.  Can a team like the Packers afford this? No.  Can a team like the Bears? Absolutely.

He isn't a sign this guy and the WR room is fixed guy.  But look at the FA market and tell me which WR you think is that guy.  Lazard is a very useful tool that some team will utilize, and likely pay pretty handsomely.  

23 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

It depends on the teams in the market for WRs.  Lazard is a very good blocker, averages 13 yards per reception and is a big target.  Last season, he had a career low in catch percentage, but also a career high in targets, yards, and catches.  If you think he is trending toward poor hands, you probably don't pay him.  But, this was his only season below 66% catch rate.  Can a team like the Packers afford this? No.  Can a team like the Bears? Absolutely.

He isn't a sign this guy and the WR room is fixed guy.  But look at the FA market and tell me which WR you think is that guy.  Lazard is a very useful tool that some team will utilize, and likely pay pretty handsomely.  

That would be a nice piece for them in their rebuild. I wish we could have him back, but it seems pretty clear he felt disrespected and is ready to move on. Maybe money talks, but I feel he's where Adams was last year. 

2 hours ago, PackFan13 said:

No shot lazard is looking for 15 million, right? That's twice what he's worth 

No, but according to Spotrac, his contact should average 12.5 a year. More than I'd pay for sure. Also, after the Tonyan discussion, I thought you'd learned your lesson about trying to attach value to players. 

Allen Lazard Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

3 hours ago, Leader said:

The Packers Wire -  Many thought the Packers defense could be elite. The group was nothing if not average. NFL.com picked Joe Barry’s group as one of the most under performing units of 2022.

A big reason I want to explore trading Rodgers.  If you claim to be all in, and then you bring this sh*tshow defense back????

Rodgers trade value takes a big hit after next year.  The Packers aren't going very far with this defense.  If the return for Rodgers is decent, I'd definitely explore a trade.

Edited by NFLGURU

1 minute ago, NFLGURU said:

A big reason I want to explore trading Rodgers.  If you claim to be all in, and then you bring this sh*tshow defense back????

Rodgers trade value takes a big hit after next year.  The Packers aren't going very far with this defense.  If the return for Rodgers is decent, I'd definitely explore a trade.

Is it the defensive talent or the DC/Scheme?

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Is it the defensive talent or the DC/Scheme?

WE need more pass rushers for sure. We could not afford to lose Gary, but the good news is, Enagbare got a lot of playing time and looks the part. Still need two more pass rushers because Gary won't be back for at least 6 games.

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

WE need more pass rushers for sure. We could not afford to lose Gary, but the good news is, Enagbare got a lot of playing time and looks the part. Still need two more pass rushers because Gary won't be back for at least 6 games.

Defense as a few holes 

DL:  Clark, Wyatt, Slaton, Ford, Slayton
EDGE:  Gary, Smith, Enagbare
S:  Savage

Like you said, Gary is coming off the ACL and likely misses a fair amount of the season.  DL is still a bunch of role players and Clark.  Amos is on a voided contract.  Only positions that you feel decent about is LB and CB

13 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Defense as a few holes 

DL:  Clark, Wyatt, Slaton, Ford, Slayton
EDGE:  Gary, Smith, Enagbare
S:  Savage

Like you said, Gary is coming off the ACL and likely misses a fair amount of the season.  DL is still a bunch of role players and Clark.  Amos is on a voided contract.  Only positions that you feel decent about is LB and CB

I actually feel pretty good about Slaton and Wyatt on DL. Love to get Siaka Ika in the draft. 

• Like 1